How to Unlock Your iPhone 4 Running iOS 5 Beta 2 Using Gevey Ultra SIM?

If you've been a reader of our blog for quite some time, then you would most definitely heard of Gevey SIM, an iPhone unlock solution in the form of a custom SIM card. A few weeks ago, we featured a new product from the manufacturers of Gevey SIM, Applenberry. The product in question is called Gevey Ultra which can unlock iPhone 4s that are running on basebands: 2.10.04, 3.10.01, 4.10.01 and 1.59.00.

Gevey SIM Ultra
Gevey SIM even works with iOS 5 beta 1, but as Apple rolled out beta 2, it seems that they somehow patched the exploit so the custom SIM card doesn't work anymore. Fortunately, the guys over at RedmondPie found a workaround that allows you to unlock your iPhone even with iOS 5 beta 2.

Before proceeding, make sure you have:

• An iPhone 4
  • An iOS 5 Beta 2 IPSW which is available in Apple's iOS Dev Center. You will need a registered developers account.
  • The latest version of Sn0wbreeze. Click here for instructions on how to download.
  • A Gevey Ultra SIM card which you can buy at Applenberry's website.

Steps on How to Unlock the iPhone 4 on iOS 5 Beta 2 with Gevey SIM:

1. First you will need to downgrade your iPhone from iOS 5 Beta 2 to iOS 4.3.3. Don't be afraid because the iOS 4.3.3 firmware is still being signed by Apple. So restoring is as simple as opening iTunes and you can restore from there. Make sure that you hold SHIFT when clicking restore so you can select the 4.3.3 IPSW. Upon successful restore, your baseband should be downgraded from 4.11.06 to 4.10.01.
  2. Restore to 4.3.3 IPSW

3. Now you will have to create a custom iOS 5 beta 2 firmware which will have a 4.10.01 baseband (required for Gevey SIM to work). We have provided a tutorial here on how to create a custom IPSW using Sn0wbreeze. After creating the custom firmware, load it into your iPhone.
  4. Create Custom Firmware with sn0wbreeze

5. It is important that you do NOT activate your iPhone with Apple yet. Instead, use this workaround that we've provided for you earlier this week. At this point, you do NOT insert Gevey SIM to your device yet.
  6. Now turn OFF your iPhone. This is the time that you will insert the Gevey SIM. Place the Gevey SIM on the tray and on TOP of it is your own SIM card. Make sure that they are perfectly in place in the tray before you slide it back in.
  7. Once the SIM tray is properly slid back, turn ON your device. Once you are in the homescreen, wait for a few seconds until you get a signal. Once the signal bar is up, you will have to make a call to 112. Dial 112 and after 2 seconds, immediately end the call. Note that this is an emergency number and if you let the call connect, you will be calling 911 which is an illegal act.
  8. After placing the call, navigate to your iPhone's setting and enable Airplane mode. Wait for about 45 seconds. Take note that you will see a "No SIM card installed" error popup which you will just ignore. After 45 seconds, you can now disable Airplane Mode.

And just like that, you now have an unlocked iPhone 4 running on iOS 5 beta 2. If you encounter any errors or problems, don't hesitate to let us know in the comments.

Recommended Read:

scott4 years, 10 months ago

Hey Jimmy, which network do you use in Hong Kong for your Gevey to work? I was there a few weeks ago and i couldnt get mine to work with Smartone sim.

Always265 years, 1 month ago

I previously use gevey pro n it only works in the carrier country (malaysia)
    When I travel overseas (singapore/munich) it doesn’t work at all. No matter how many hrs I try., it won’t work.
    I’m now using gevey ultra n it works fine for now.
    I’m wandering if the background still running 112/911/etc
    If it has been default to 112, will it work when I travel overseas?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Unfortunately, it will not work & neither will the Ultra because the Gevey exploit uses the assumption that your card belongs to the network it is on but it is not when you go roaming. So, you will need to use a local SIM of that country in which your roaming for the Gevey to work.

henrique c5 years, 2 months ago

Ok, thank you, so the unlock supposed to be untethered will actually be tethered because of
    The jailbreak right? Thanks

henrique cheib5 years, 2 months ago

thanks for the answer! but if i want to stick to ios5, jaibreak my iphone, with the tethered one, and use the gevey ultra. whenever the phone dies, will i have to redo the jailbreak for the unlock to work, since i need the pack from cydia? or is the pack only for the first time?

thannk you!

Being a tethered jailbreak, you’ll only need to redo the jailbreak to boot up the iPhone via iBooty/RS. After that, the Gevey Ultra will work normally just like how it should. You need not download the FuriousMod package everytime you reboot. Its already there in Cydia.

Henrique c5 years, 2 months ago

Hey. I got a similar situation. Have an iphone 4 running ios5 b1. I got the gevey ultra. With it i think its possible not to dial 112 every time your phone dies, but you need jailbreak. And the jailbreak is thetered, so it wouldnt work after my phone dies, right? If i do what you said in this post, what will happen when it dies? Thankssss!

Henrique, Its better that you revert back to iOS 4.3.3 whilst Apple is still signing the BB 04.10. If you aren’t aware, Apple has patched the Gevey exploit starting from iOS5b2. So I see no point in running the iOS5b1 that too with a tethered JB if your rely on a Gevey unlock. Revert back to iOS 4.3.3 before Apple stops signing the iOS 4.3.3 and you can then happily use the Ultra on an untethered iOS by sacrificing the idea of installing iOS 5 until Gevey updates itself.

Jimmy5 years, 3 months ago

Getting my Gevey Sim ultra today… Lets see how it goes!
    Quick question:
    1. Is there any other issue when using 04.10.01 on iOS 5.0 beta2?
    2. Why we have to dial 112 as I though Gevey Sim ultra is untethered unlock?
    3. will this work on Gevey sim pro as well?
    4. Have iOS 5.0 beta 2 fixed the power consuming issue?

1. Yes, the Gevey exploit has been closed in iOS 5b2, therefore remain on iOS 4.3.3 itself till eternity if you want the Gevey unlock.
      2. Gevey Ultra doesn’t need a 112 dialing. It definitely needs your iOS to be jailbroken so as to install an additional patch which’ll automate the 112 dialing in the background w/o any user intervention.
      3. No, the exploit has been close for ALL Gevey SI’s till date including the Ultras.
      4. No point in going to the iOS 5b2 if you rely on a Gevey unlock.

Jimmy5 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for your rapid reply.
        I am now in Hong Kong with my Gevey Sim Ultra and it works perfectly fine :)
        I also bought a Gevey Sim Pro (Fake one) for about 5 USD and it still works even though it is not automatically and being picky on Sims card.

Thanks for all the great info that I learned from this site!

Shiido5 years, 3 months ago

Can I activate the iPhone normally after that? I have a developer account. I was able to activate it normally before on iOS 5 B1… Please share your thoughts! Thank you

What are you actually trying to activate? Gevey? Or the phone call functionality on the iPhone on iOS 5b1?

Shiido5 years, 3 months ago

I wanna try to activate the phone with my developer account, and use Gevey Sim on it. Should it work?

Which iOS 5 version are you trying the Gevey on?

Shiido5 years, 2 months ago

I’ve tried before with B1. Worked like a charm. Now I wanna try B2… but I’m not sure if I can keepmy current baseband, 02.10.04… Is that possible?

Yes, you may use the latest Sn0wbreeze to get yourself onto iOS5b2. Download Sn0wbreeze 2.8b3 and create your custom IPSW. Once done, restore to it using the latest iTunes 10.5b2.

Shiido5 years, 2 months ago

Got it Working! :) Installed ios 5 B2 with Sn0wbreeze, preserving baseband 02.10.04 and activating normally on itunes! Thank you!