How to Boot Your iOS 5 Tethered iDevice Using iBooty 2.3? [Guide]

iH8sn0w has silently updated his iBooty tool to version 2.3 by releasing Sn0wbreeze 2.8b3 for iOS 5 beta 2 jailbreak. There is no official changelog provided by iH8sn0w but after testing it out, i can definitely say it helps you to boot your iOS 5 iDevice into tethered mode, much faster than iBooty 2.2. For those who don't know, as the current iOS 5 beta 1 and iOS 5 beta 2 jailbreak is tethered, so you MUST boot your iDevice into tethered jailbroken state on every restart. If you are jailbroken on iOS 5 using Sn0wbreeze 2.8b1 or Sn0wbreeze 2.8b3, you must use iBooty to boot your iDevice, otherwise Cydia, Safari and other jailbroken apps will crash.

Where to get iBooty? Whenever you create iOS 5 beta 1 or beta 2 custom IPSW using Sn0wbreeze tool, you will see iBooty-for-5.0b1 or iBooty-for-5.0b2 directory on your desktop. If for some reason you are unable to find iBooty directory on your desktop, you can download iBooty 2.3 for iPhone 4 (GSM) from here. As i don't own any other iDevice, so please be patient while i create iOS 5 beta 2 custom IPSW for all other iDevices and provide you with the download links for iBooty 2.3.
iBooty 2.3 Main How to Boot Your iOS 5 Tethered iDevice Using iBooty 2.3? [Guide]

Steps to Boot iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G & iPad Using iBooty 2.3

1. Once your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad has been successfully jailbroken on iOS 5 beta 2, use the instructions below to put your iDevice into DFU mode.
    • Plug your iDevice to your PC or Mac via USB cable.
    • Turn OFF your iDevice completely by pressing the Power button on the top.
    • Press the Home+Power button at the same time for 10 seconds.
    • After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
    • Now your iDevice should be in DFU mode.
  2. Launch iBooty.exe and select your iDevice from the drop-down list in the bottom-right corner. In my case, its iPhone 4-GSM. Once selected, click on the Start button.
  3. Now iBooty will detect your iPhone in DFU mode and will go through number of steps as shown the screenshots below:
  4. iBooty 2.3 Waiting for iDevice How to Boot Your iOS 5 Tethered iDevice Using iBooty 2.3? [Guide]
    iBooty 2.3 Uploading LLB How to Boot Your iOS 5 Tethered iDevice Using iBooty 2.3? [Guide]
    iBooty 2.3 Done How to Boot Your iOS 5 Tethered iDevice Using iBooty 2.3? [Guide]

5. Once you see the Done! message, your iDevice will reboot and you will see an Apple logo on its screen. That's it! Now Cydia, Safari and other jailbroken apps will not crash anymore. Cheers :)

AJ9 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi, i just jail broke my phone and i accidentally restarted my iphone 4. Now my Idevice wont show up on Ibooty. PLEASE HELp!!!

Normzy1 year ago

when i boot my device, i get Done :) [3] [2] [1] and keeps repeating… HELP

Hugo1 year ago

something when wrong you have to do all over again, and for a better help, wich iDevice you have and which iOs?

Leandro1 year, 3 months ago

Hi, I got restored with IOS 6.01 with the IPSW from sn0wbreeze and Cydia was installed on my iphone 4. However when I am trying to run the iBooty 2.3, it starts my iphone and then the iBooty get stucked on the “waiting for device” message and does not jailbreak the iphone. Someone has this problem? and get it fixed? thanks

Jason1 year, 4 months ago

I cannot find iBooty on my desktop. By the way I’m trying to jailbreak my Ipad 1st generation.

hugo1 year, 3 months ago

the ipad 1st gen is easy jailbreak, do this1.- Restore from itunes (optional) 2.- Now your last firmware is 5.1.13.- Run Redsn0w and select the option ”Install Cydia”4.- Wait…. the ipad will restart once you are in the home screen you will see Cydia5.- Enjoy!!! =3

Hopeless1 year, 4 months ago

I can’t completely tether my iPod because my device won’t show up on iBooty…

Chris2 years ago

hello, i got a little problem i got my ipod 4th gen jailbroken but when i wanna reboot it all works perfectly and stuff but cydia and stuff still crashes :) got any tips for that? thanks

K Santana2 years ago

mine got stuck into the middle of the Ibooty 2.3… like waiting for device a couple of times… all i have to do was to leave it there and then DFU mode the iphone again. then it would complete the process.

Hope it helps anyone.

John Smith2 years, 1 month ago

I do all the steps correctly one by one but when finished and says ok and the program starts the mobile dichnei mark only the apple and does nothing but help children what to do;

One_19842 years, 2 months ago

Do I `ve to boot my iPhone 4S by iBooty, if I use redsn0w to jailbreak my device?

Pesmerga2 years, 2 months ago

No, you do not need to use iBooty, current jailbreak for the iPhone 4S is untethered. :)

One_19842 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for your reply. Can you explain the difference between TETHERED and UNTETHERED jailbreakings? And how to determine it?
          PS.: My iPhone4S is already jailbroken.

Pesmerga2 years, 2 months ago

Tethered means that when you reboot or have your iPhone shut down, your iPhone will not be usable (i.e. it won’t boot), you will need to use a program such as Redsn0w in order to tether boot it into a jailbroken state.

Untethered means that you don’t have such limitations above. So even if your device shuts down, you can just turn it back on and still have a jailbroken iPhone. No program needed.

Good for you, just remember not to upgrade when a firmware update becomes available because you will lose your jailbreak.

wallace2 years, 1 month ago

The difference is obvious, I will explain.

The untethered jailbreak s a jailbreak you need to apply once, and no worries.

The tethered jailbreak you will need reapply the exploit on every boot.

Rmays2411 year, 12 months ago

i would use redsnow and under extras goto the just boot to get out of dfu mode

Johanna Bebe2 years, 3 months ago

Where can I find the ibooty v2.3 software alone? I had someone unlock my 3gs to the ios 5.0.1 which leads me to not owning the ibooty software that comes with it. =(. I had to restart my iphone when I was updating my files on itunes, please help! my phone only reboots bt get stuck at the apple screen with the logo bar below it(it stopped loading) Pm me please!

Craig2 years, 3 months ago

Hi. I have a 3gs 16GB that was unlocked with snow software. Running ios5.
    I have used the ibooty software before with no problems. I was using the phone and it went black and has apple logo. When i try to reboot with ibooty, the program opens up but will not let me select my device and i dont get the START option. What could be the problem.
    Help please.

Mello2 years, 3 months ago

You have to start the phone whith ibooty every time

Johnny_Chimpo2 years, 3 months ago

I can not get ibooty to reboot my iphone. It goes as far as “Done!” but it doesnt reboot the iphone out of DFU mode. If someone could shoot me an email with any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I already tried googling the problem and posted about it on different forums and no one has been able to help me :(

Sean2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone get this to work yet?

ChandlerStern2 years, 4 months ago

i have the same exact problem and im using the one it extracted to my desktop????any help!!!!!

ChandlerStern2 years, 4 months ago

@pramod ibooty 2.3 wont reboot my phone at the end and yes i use the same exatc one that it came with ANYBODY with the awnser contact me at Champ1313@ymail.com

goudaninja2 years, 4 months ago

I have the 3gs and after I restored with Sn0wbreeze’s custom ipsw for 5.0.1, it doesn’t have the ibooty, but instead the iphone turns on and goes to the activation part.

Ethan2 years, 4 months ago

When i drop down the device box on ibooty 2.3 iouch 4g doesnt show up, all it it shows is selct device here. HELP PLZ

Patrick2 years, 4 months ago

If you are using an iPod touch 4G, then you will have to download iBooty 2.2. Version 2.3 only works for the iPhone. Download iBooty 2.2 here: http://bit.ly/gUG46C

Hope that helps!

Jemoeder2 years ago

i have the excact same problem please help

Mickey Jamison2 years, 4 months ago

How can I download ibooty 2.3? It didn’t install when I downloaded snowbreeze 2.8b11. I have an iphone 4 on Sprint. Thanks!!

Tek2 years, 4 months ago

i used Snowbreeze to jb but i’m in Semi-tethered and can’t use iBooty to boot tether… i also tried to restore but couldn’t … even restore, the error message 9134! pls help..

Disable Semi-Tether, reboot & use Redsn0w to get your device back to tethered mode. After that, re-enable semi-tether. For error 3194, make sure that you have removed all references to Cydia from your Hosts file first & then perform the restore once again.

Henk2 years, 4 months ago

used 2.8b11 for my 3gs, but no ibboty extracted to my desktop after ispw creation.
    Any ideas?

You seem to have created an IPSW for an old-bootrom iP3GS. Old bootrom iP3GS’s do not need iBooty as they are always untethered.

Dan2 years, 4 months ago

Step: use iBooty once I see the Done! message, my iDevice does not reboot and I do not see an Apple logo on its screen.
    What’s next ?

You need to use that specific version of iBooty which gets extracted to your desktop right after creating a custom IPSW with Sn0wbreeze. Are you?

Tek2 years, 4 months ago

I’m using iPhone 4 iOS 5, i’m now in Semi-Tethered mode, i tried to do tethered boot in iBooty 2.3 but it didn’t work, also i tried to tethered boot with Redsnow and Ac1dsnow but all not working, just boot to Semi-Tethered mode again. Are there any solutions? Thanks…

You were initially jailbroken with Redsn0w / Sn0wbreeze ? Use the relevant tool used to Jb your device to boot it back up. Else, skip the Semi-Tethered & restore to a fresh JB.

Mohan2 years, 4 months ago

For me iBooty is not getting extracted when I created the custom ipsw. It only gives me a link to downlaod. However, ibooty2.3 is for Iphone 4 only. I have a 3Gs. I had to download ibooty2.2. What am I doing wrong? After installing 5.0.1, I restored the phone from icloud, however, Cydia is already there from icloud (Ithink) but it is not working properly. I must be doing something wrong here. I will try again with restoring the phone a new setup rather than backing it from icloud.

Download Sn0wbreeze v2.8b11 & simply recreate a custom iOS 5.0.1 IPSW with it for your iP3GS. iBooty for iP3GS will then get extracted to the desktop once the whole process is done. Always perform a fresh restore of your device from your PC if your planning to JB your device. Use iCloud only if its absolutely necessary & when you have run out of restore options.

Tom2 years, 4 months ago

Hi iBooty won’t recongnise my iDeivice and i am using the one that came with sn0wbreeze. Please Help

Did you by any chance have TU running at the background? Currently is your device in a DFU loop / pitch black screen?

Technical Inept2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Pramod, however as I expected I am now having problems with my “hactivation”. Here is what I have done:

updated to 5.0.1 while preserving baseband (i used the latest snowbreeze to create my ispw file)

used iFun box to alter the “systemversion.plist” i think this is where i am having problems, once i remove what i think is ReleaseType beta

then i have rebooted, put the iPhone into DFU with the help of iBooty 2.3, completed a tethered boot and the phone just displays “there was a problem with your activation”

sorry for being long winded, but i figure the more details the better! Thanks in advance!

Why are you editing your .plist file? iOS 5 GM versions aren’t beta timed for it to expire. They don’t have a timer at all. As long as activation is concerned, make sure that your selecting the right carrier details to which your device was initially locked to. In case you have the legit carrier SIM, it would be even better. Do you / any of your friends by any chance have one?

Technical Inept2 years, 4 months ago

iPhone 4, with snowbreeze 5.0.1 everything is fine, but whenever iBooty 4.3 goes to done, my iTunes still tells me im in recovery mode, or that it is not a supported sim Card….please help!

You need to officially activate your device with iTunes by popping in the legit carrier SIM & then hooking it up to iTunes. In case you don’t have one, you would need to jailbreak your device then to hacktivate.

Austyn2 years, 5 months ago

i think mine just goes into pwned dfu instead of regular dfu

Not possible. Your iOS details are? Also, did you have its SHSH already saved for your restore via Cydia / TU? Please explain in detail what your trying to achieve here.

PISSED OFF2 years, 5 months ago

broski! ibooty wont recognize my ipod touch even when in dfu mode?!!!

Use the iBooty that gets extracted to your desktop after you have created the custom IPSW for your device.

Mike2 years, 5 months ago

I rebooted using snowbreeze, then I just passed the snowbreeze loading screen now I’m stuck on the apple one and ibooty is not recognizing the iphone.
    any advice?
    thanks, Mike

Did you use the same iBooty that got extracted to your desktop right after you created the custom IPSW with Sn0wbreeze?

Shenanigans2 years, 5 months ago

HI, i tried to reboot my phone using ibooty but it doesnt boot up. cydia has been installed already as i manually reset it to check. but as said, its tethered thus it cant work. is there a solution to it? Thanks!

Was your device jailbroken using Sn0wbreeze?

Mohan2 years, 5 months ago

iBooty2.3 was not created on the desktop after creating ipsw with Snowbreeze. It only gave me link to download. But ibooty2.3 did not have any other device in its list except iPhone4. Redsnow as of now did not work as it did not recognoize ipsw and could not create any custom ipsw.

If you create custom ipsw (5.0.1) with Snowbreeze, you cannot JB with Redsnow as it gives error saying unrecoignized ipsw. So, as of now none of these procedures work for JB and unlock for 5.0.1. I recommend not to upgrade yet.

That’s not right. Redo the CFW creation using the latest version of Sn0wbreeze 2.8b11, iBooty does get extracted right to the desktop. Redsn0w isn’t updated yet to exclusively recognize the 5.0.1 IPSW. Therefore, you need to still point it to stock iOS 5.0 & then JB 5.0.1. Also, you need not redo the JB process if your already JB’n via Sn0wbreeze.

nightcrawler212 years, 5 months ago

yes i know its tethered but redsnow allows me to boot up as i said before ibooty useless it didnt shoe my phone in the list so i could boot up. if one JB lets me boot u and the other doesnt why would i or anyone else should stay with the snowbreeze, i dont like formatting my phone every other day

I believe it finally comes down to one’s personal opinion & BTW, Sn0wbreeze is currently the only iOS 5 tethered JB that fixes the iBooks crash issues while Redsn0w isn’t updated for it yet.

nightcrawler212 years, 5 months ago

well thats what i was trying to avoid i knew i could get my phone back running again but whats the point of using the SB jailbreak if i have to redo my phone everytime i need to reboot it or battery dies, everyone please use the Redsnow JB

Redsn0w is no different from Sn0wbreeze either. You will still need to use Redsn0w to boot your device tethered just like iBooty if it shuts down / reboots. Its called a tethered JB for a reason.

Normzy1 year ago

Tethered JUSTIN BIEBER XD

nightcrawler212 years, 5 months ago

yeah no sorry i can follow directions and iver tried about 30 times already putting it in DFU mode and it still doesnt see it, getting it out of DFU mode i see apple sign for a bit then its the loading icon in the middle and that freezes and then it stays there i so those are the only 2 mode i have frozen loading icon or DFU mode and either or ibooty does nothing and sees nothing

Restore your device to a clean install of the custom iOS 5 IPSW if everything else fails.

nightcrawler212 years, 5 months ago

what the hell i have a jailbroken iphone 3GS with this and my battery ran out cause of the crappy ios 5 and now i put it in that GUI mode or whatever to reboot it with ibooty and the damn program wont let me select the 3gs model? It doesnt have anything in the list what is goin on? Nothing but problems with snowbreeze crap.

Read my previous reply to sunny. The same applies to your situation as well.

sunny2 years, 5 months ago

i have iphone 4 and jailbreak with sn0wbreeze everything is done i see cedia ikon on my iphone but i trying to open cedia is not opening its crashing all time when im trying to open,i want to unlock my phone i dont know what to do,im running ios 5 anyone know what to do?

Use iBooty (which gets extracted to your desktop right after the IPSW creation) to boot it tethered each time you reboot / shut down your device. Its a tethered JB, so you will need to repeat these steps.

Steeldiksid2 years, 6 months ago

I tried downloading this to a sprint iPhone.
    I didnt get the right version of IPSW i think can anyone guide me through where i could get that from?
    The IPSW I got was for Verizon iPhone CDMA and i just assumed it would work

Nope. iBooty doesn’t support the Sprint iPhone just yet & neither does Sn0wbreeze. You need to wait until an update for the same is pushed.

bruno2 years, 6 months ago

the same happened to me: I turned off the iPhone to see if I could open the cydia but when I went to boot with iBooty failed.
    I did the instructions again to DFU mode, it already being in DFU mode, with the program closed and then tried and it worked o. <

Yep. You need to always use the iBooty that gets extracted to your desktop right after you have created a custom IPSW via Sn0wbreeze.

G3N3SiiS2 years, 6 months ago

Mine won’t boot either… iBooty won’t even recognize my device in DFU mode to reboot it… Cydia won’t work until ibooty reboot either :(

Use the precise version of iBooty that gets extracted to your desktop right after Sn0wbreeze creates a custom IPSW for you. Its specific to the version of Sn0wbreeze that you use.

MacphistoMR2 years, 6 months ago

it isn’t booting ); iphone 4, ios 5.

Did you use iBooty to boot it again right after the restore? The one it extracted to your desktop?

Mike2 years, 6 months ago

I just Jailbreak my Iphone 4 IOS 5.0… when everything was done I try to open Cydia and it crashed.. So I decided to Boot it with Ibooty. I Put the phone on DFU mode and the Ibooty program is not recognizing the phone so I dont get the option to choose my phone. I restarded Iphone and It loaded but still Cidya is not opening. What do we do? Can you reply to my email?

You might want to try out the same iBooty on a different system.

kevin H2 years, 6 months ago

what if my iphone is in DFU mode but i booty v 2.3 is not recognizing it? does not give option to select phone?

Did you restore your device by actually using a saved SHSH for it from Cydia for that particular iOS version? Or just by running TU at the back?

Alon2 years, 9 months ago

it isn’t booting );

Which beta version are you using? Are you sure your using the latest SB for your tethered JB?