iREB is a tool for Windows that can put your device into pwned state so that you will able to install a custom firmware to it. If you try to restore to a custom iOS 5 beta firmware on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, then iTunes will return an error 16xx. This is due to the fact that your device can actually determine if your are using a stock IPSW or a custom one. If you are trying to a restore with a custom firmware, the device basically tells iTunes not to restore to that particular firmware. And this is what iREB is for.
Today we will be providing you with a tutorial on how to put your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch into Pwned DFU Mode with the use of iREB RC4 for Windows so that you can restore to a custom iOS 5 beta IPSW without the iTunes 16xx (1600, 1601, 1603 & 1604) error. Note that this is a guide for Windows, for Mac users, you will have to use Redsn0w as alternative to iREB.
Steps on How to Put Your Device into Pwned DFU Mode Using iREB Tool for Windows:
- First you will need to download iREB RC4 from here. The files will be zipped so be sure to extract them.
- Now connect your device to your computer and launch iREB-r4.exe from the file you've downloaded in Step 1.
- Now you will need to put your device in DFU mode in order to proceed, just follow the on-screen instructions in iREB:
- Make sure that your device is properly connected to your computer via USB cable and also do not run iTunes in the background. Now turn off your device by holding down the Power button.
- Now hold down the Power + Home button together for about 10 seconds.
- After that, release the Power button while still pressing down the Home button. If done correctly, your device should enter DFU Mode and iREB should be able to detect that.
- Download RecBoot v1.3 for Windows, Mac OS X & Linux