WOOT! Yep, you read the title right! Now you can jailbreak iOS 5 beta 2 on iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G 1st-Gen iPad using Redsn0w 0.9.8b1. Just like iOS 5 beta 1, it will be a tethered jailbreak for all supported iDevices. The procedure below will upgrade the baseband of your iPhone 4 to 04.11.06 and iPhone 3GS to 05.20.00. So, if you are an iPhone user who rely on an unlock or iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) user who wish to have untethered jailbreak, please use Sn0wbreeze 2.8b3 instead of Redsn0w.
NOTE: To successfully jailbreak and use your iPhone on iOS 5 beta 2, you will be needing a registered UDID to bypass iOS 5 activation steps. Apart from registered UDID, you will be needing iOS 5 beta 1 IPSW for your iDevice.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 5b2 Using Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 on Windows & Mac
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 for Windows or Mac OS X
- Download iOS 5 beta 2 and iOS 5 beta 1 from iOS Dev-Center. If you are not enrolled in iOS Dev-Center, just Google for the IPSW files and you will get tons of torrent links.
- Restore your iDevice to stock iOS 5 beta 2 using iTunes. To do that, just plug your iDevice to your PC or Mac via USB cable and launch iTunes. Hold down the SHIFT key (ALT for Mac) and hit the Restore button. Browse for stock iOS 5 beta 2 IPSW and leave the rest on iTunes.
- Once you have restored your iDevice successfully, launch Redsn0w. Click on the Browse button and select iOS 5 beta 1 IPSW (Not iOS 5 beta 2 IPSW). Now wait while Redsn0w patches the kernel of the provided IPSW.
- Now you will see number of jailbreak options. Just choose Install Cydia option and hit the strong>Next > button.
- Connect your iDevice to your PC or Mac vis USB cable. Hold down the Power button to turn OFF your iDevice completely. Click on the Next > button to view the DFU instructions.
- Now you need to put your iDevice in DFU mode. To do so, hold down the Home+Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds. After exactly 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until Redsn0w detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
- As soon as Redsn0w will detect your iDevice in DFU mode, it will go through number of jailbreak steps including Exploiting with limera1n > Uploading first stage > Uploading second stage > Uploading ramdisk > Uploading kernel and more. If you are on Windows and Redsn0w gets stuck at any of these steps, follow this guide to set your CPU affinity to 1.
- Once your iDevice has been jailbroken on iOS 5, Safari and Cydia app will not work. This is because the current iOS 5b2 jailbreak with Redsn0w is tethered. You need to boot your iDevice into tethered jailbroken state. To do so, launch Redsn0w again and jump to step 4. In step 5, only choose Just boot tethered right now option. Follow on-screen instructions to put your iDevice in DFU mode and let Redsn0w to boot it into tethered jailbroken state.