Here is a complete step-by-step guide to jailbreak iOS 5 on Windows using Redsn0w 0.9.8b1. Previously, Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 was only available for Mac OS X users but today, iPhone Dev-Team has finally ported it to Windows OSes. Just like Mac version, you can use Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 to jailbreak iOS 5b1 on iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G and 1st-Gen iPad.
NOTE: The current iOS 5b1 jailbreak is tethered and is only intended for developers only. Tethered jailbreak means, you MUST boot your iDevice into tethered jailbroken state on every restart. Keep in mind that the procedure below will also upgrade the baseband of your iPhone 4 to 04.11.04 and iPhone 3GS to 05.20.00. If you reply on an unlocked iPhone and want to upgrade to iOS 5 while presserving your current baseband, then you can either follow this guide or simply use Sn0wbreeze 2.8b1 to jump to iOS 5. Last but not the least, you must be needing a registered UDID to activate your iPhone as the current version of Redsn0w will NOT hacktivate your iPhone. If you do not have a registered UDID, you can follow this guide to bypass the activation steps.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 5 on Windows Using Redsn0w 0.9.8b1:
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.8 for Windows from here
- If you a enrolled in iPhone Developer Standard or Enterprise Program, grab your copy of iOS 5 IPSW by signing into Apple Developer Connection here. If you do not own Apple Developer's account, just Google Download iOS 5 IPSW for your iDevice and you will get tons of torrent links.
- Connect your iDevice to your PC via USB cable and launch iTunes. Hold down the SHIFT key on keyboard and hit the Restore button on iTunes. Select stock iOS 5 IPSW and leave the rest on iTunes.
- Once your iDevice has been successfully restored to iOS 5b1, launch redsn0w.exe and click on the Browse button to select the firmware file. In this case, i will be jailbreaking my iPhone 4, so i will be choosing stock iOS 5 IPSW for iPhone 4.
- Now wait while Redsn0w process the provided IPSW. Once done, click on the Next > button to continue.
- Now wait while Redsn0w patches the kernel of the provided IPSW. Once done, you will be provided with number of jailbreak options.
- Just choose Install Cydia option and click on the Next > button to continue.
- Now you need to put your iDevice into DFU mode. For that, first plug it into your PC via USB cable and then turn it OFF by pressing the Power button. Once done, click on the Next > button to continue.
- Now put your iDevice into DFU mode using the following instructions:
- Hold down the Power (corner) button for 3 seconds.
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center) button for 10 seconds.
- Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 15 seconds until Redsn0w detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
On a separate note, where Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 helps you to jailbreak iOS 5 on your iDevice, it also causes severe battery drainage issues :( So i will recommend you to stay away from these BETAs unless Apple releases iOS 5 final which will be out anytime this fall.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback