As you all know, earlier this month, Apple released the beta 1 of iOS 5 and just last Friday, the beta 2 was then released. If you have upgraded your firmware to iOS 5 and find yourself not liking it and want to downgrade to a previous firmware, then you're in luck because we have the complete guide for you. Note that this will only work if you are downgrading to iOS 4.x.x or iPhone OS 3.x.x. If you want to downgrade to iOS 5 beta 1 from iOS 5 beta 2, then you are out of luck, because as we have reported here, it is not possible anymore even if you have a saved SHSH blobs. This guide is only applicable if you have already saved the SHSH blobs for your firmware of choice.
Before You Downgrade:
- For iPhone 3GS users with iPad baseband 06.15.00, you can only restore using a custom IPSW of your desired firmware. Restoring to a stock IPSW will get you stuck in an infinite recovery mode loop.
- If you are restoring to a stock IPSW of the firmware, then you do not have to use iREB to put your device in Pwned DFU mode, otherwise if you are restoring to a custom IPSW made with Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool, then you will need iREB.
- If you have not saved an SHSH blob either in your local hard disk or Cydia, then downgrading is not possible. Without SHSH blobs, whether you use stock or custom IPSW, you will get iTunes error 3194.
- If you have an unlocked iPhone and preserved your unlockable baseband, then do not restore to stock IPSW because there's a chance that you will lose your unlock. If you are using a stock IPSW to restore, then make sure the baseband of the firmware that you are restoring to can be unlocked using Ultrasn0w.
Steps to downgrading from iOS 5.x to iOS 4.x.x or iPhone OS 3.x.x:
- Download TinyUmbrella for Windows or Mac. In order to use TinyUmbrella, make sure that you have an updated version of JDK and JRE, if not then download it here.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your computer and launch TinyUmbrella. Select your device from the left panel of the software and press Save SHSH button located at the top right. TinyUmbrella will now download and save all of your SHSH blobs that's available in Cydia into your local hard disk.
- In the instance that you do not see any SHSH blob in the TinyUmbrella software (where the red arrow is pointing above) then you can't proceed anymore because it means you are unable to downgrade your firmware. Otherwise if you have the SHSH blobs for the firmware you want to downgrade to, then proceed by downloading its stock iPSW using the links provided below. Alternatively you can use a custom IPSW made from either PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze.
Download iOS 4.3.3 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.3.2 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.3 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad
Download iOS 4.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G & iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G
Download iOS 4.0 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G & iPod Touch 2G/3G
Download iPhone OS 3.1.3 for iPhone 3GS/3G/2G
Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 for iPhone 3GS/3G/2G
- If you are restoring to stock IPSW, then skip these steps and proceed to step #7. If you are restoring using a custom IPSW, you are required to put your device to Pwned DFU state. In order to do that, open the iREB tool and select your iDevice and follow the steps below on how to put your device in normal DFU mode.
- Connect your device into your Mac or PC and make sure that iTunes is NOT running. Turn OFF your iDevice by pressing and holding down the Power button.
- Press the Home + Power button at the same time for about 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but not the Home button. Hold down the Home button until iREB detects that you device has entered DFU Mode.
- As soon as your device enters DFU mode, iREB will patch its iBoot with Limera1n exploit. The patching process will take about 10 seconds.
- Once patching is finished, iREB will display a dialog box that your device is now in Pwned DFU state and you will need to restore through iTunes.
- Now switch back to the TinyUmbrella window and click on the Start TSS Server button located at the top right. To check if your TSS server has successfully started, go to the LOG tab and make sure that you see the following lines at the bottom of the log:
- Now Launch iTunes without disconnecting your iDevice from your PC or Mac. Select your device from the left side panel of iTunes.
- On the summary panel, you will see two buttons which are Check for Update and Restore. Hold down the SHIFT key for Windows or ALT key for MAC, and click on the Restore button.
- Now browse and select the stock or custom IPSW of your preferred firmware which you downloaded in Step #3 and click Open.
- Now iTunes will restore your iDevice to your selected firmware so it's best if your leave it be. Once the restoration process is done, your device will automatically restart. And that's it you're done. You have now downgraded your firmware version.
TSS Server Started!
TSS Accepting connections...
What If My iDevice Gets Stuck in Recovery Mode After Downgrading?
If your device gets stuck in Recovery Mode after firmware restoration, then you can use the following tools to get your device out of the infinite recovery mode loop:
- If downgrading to iOS 4.3.3, use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.3.3
- If downgrading to iOS 4.3.2/4.3.1, use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.3.2/4.3.1
- If you are downgrading to iOS 4.3, use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.3
- If you are downgrading to iOS 4.2.1, use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1
- If you are downgrading to iOS 4.1/4.0, use TinyUmbrella (Exit Recovery)
- If you are downgrading to iPhone OS 3.1.2/3.1.3, use RecBoot or EasyiRecovery
To Jailbreak Your Device After Downgrading:
- Jailbreak iOS 4.3.3: Sn0wbreeze 2.7 [How-To], PwnageTool 4.3.3, Redsn0w 0.9.6 [How-To]
- Jailbreak iOS 4.3.2: Sn0wbreeze 2.6.1 [How-To], PwnageTool 4.3.2, Redsn0w [How-To]
- Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1: Sn0wbreeze [How-To], PwnageTool, Redsn0w [How-To]
- Jailbreak iOS 4.3: Sn0wbreeze 2.3b4 [How-To], PwnageTool Bundles
- Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1: GreenPois0n RC 6.1 [Windows | Mac OS X]
- Jailbreak iOS 4.1/4.0: Limera1n [Windows | Mac OS X] [JailbreakMe for iOS 4.0.1/4.0]
- Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.3/3.1.2: Spirit [How-To]
Tips for Downgrading Your iDevice Firmware:
- After performing step 7, launch your default browser and point it to http://gs.apple.com/, this should redirect you to the homepage of Cydia.
- If TinyUmbrella is not properly working for you, then just add the following line to your Windows or Mac HOSTS file. This way, you do not have to perform steps 2, 3 and
- In case you encounter errors in iTunes while downgrading, just refer to the links provided below:
If you run into any errors and while downgrading your device to a previous firmware, feel to free to let us know in the comments section and we will try our best to answer.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback