Boom! iPhone Dev-Team has just released Redsn0w 0.9.8 to jailbreak iOS 5 beta 1 on iPhone 4(GSM+CDMA)/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G and 1st-Gen iPad. Before proceeding to the jailbreak procedure, note that this is a tethered jailbreak. Tethered jailbreak means, you MUST reboot your iPhone into tethered jailbroken state on every restart.
Redsn0w 0.9.8 is only available for Mac OS X users and it will NOT hacktivate your iPhone. This means you need to be an iOS developer with a registered UDID to get past all the new activation screens. Those iPhone 3GS users who got iPad baseband should STAY AWAY from this jailbreak method until iPhone Dev-Team releases PwnageTool to create iOS 5 custom IPSW for your iPhone.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS iOS 5b1 Using Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 on Mac OS X:
- If you have got registered Apple Developer's account, download iOS 5 beta 1 by signing into iOS Dev Center here. If you do not own Apple Developer's account, just Google Download iOS 5 IPSW for your iDevice and you will get tons of torrent links.
- Once you got hold of iOS 5b1 IPSW, launch iTunes and restore stock iOS 5b1 on your iDevice.
- Once your iPhone has been restored to stock iOS 5b1 firmware, launch Redsn0w and click on Browse button. Again select stock iOS 5b1 and let Redsn0w process the provided IPSW. After Redsn0w has successfully identified your IPSW file, click on the Next > button to patch the kernel of a firmware.
- Once kernel has been successfully patched, you will be presented with number of jailbreak options. Choose Install Cydia and click on the Next > button.
- Connect your iDevice to your PC or Mac vis USB cable. Hold down the Power button to turn OFF your iDevice completely. Click on the Next > button to view the DFU instructions.
- Now you need to put your iDevice in DFU mode. To do so, hold down the Home+Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds. After exactly 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until Redsn0w detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
- As soon as Redsn0w will detect your iDevice in DFU mode, it will go through number of jailbreak steps including Exploiting with limera1n > Uploading first stage > Uploading second stage > Uploading ramdisk > Uploading kernel and more. If your iDevice gets stuck at any of these steps, follow this guide to set your CPU affinity to 1.
- Once your iDevice has been jailbroken on iOS 5, Safari and Cydia app will not work. This is because the current iOS 5b1 jailbreak with Redsn0w is tethered. You need to boot your iDevice into tethered jailbroken state. To do so, launch Redsn0w again and jump to step 3. In step 4, only choose Just boot tethered right now option. Follow on-screen instructions to put your iDevice in DFU mode and let Redsn0w to boot it into tethered jailbroken state.