Yep! Now you can create signed IPSW for your iDevice using iH8sn0w's iFaith tool (aka SHSH Dumper). This signed IPSW will NOT jailbreak your iDevice but will only restore your iDevice to stock firmware without need of pointing iTunes to Cydia server using TinyUmbrella or HOSTS file. In this way, you can restore stock firmware on your iDevice and then can jailbreak it using tools like Redsn0w, GreenPois0n, Limera1n, JailbreakMe or Spirit.
According to iH8sn0w, he will be integrate this feature in his Sn0wbreeze tool which will then allow you to create custom signed IPSW for your iDevice. Restoring this custom signed IPSW will not only restore directly (w/o TinyUmbrella) but will also jailbreak your iDevice on that firmware.
Steps to Create Signed IPSW for Your iDevice Using iFaith Tool:
In this tutorial, i will be creating signed IPSW of iOS 4.2.1 for my iPhone 4. You can use the same steps to create iOS 3.x.x and iOS 4.x.x signed IPSW for your iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, 1st-Gen iPad and Apple TV 2G.
- Download iFaith tool for Windows from here (Mac version to drop soon)
- Launch iFaith tool. If you still haven't saved .iFaith file, first select Show Available SHSH Caches on Server option to save the SHSH blob file locally on your hard-disk drive.
- Click on the Main Menu button and select Build *signed* IPSW w/ Blobs option. Click on Browse for SHSH Blobs cache and select the .iFaith file you downloaded in previous step.
- As i will be creating iOS 4.2.1 signed IPSW, so i must point iFaith to iOS 4.2.1 stock IPSW. If you are creating signed IPSW of any other firmware, please choose the stock IPSW file respective to the SHSH blobs you saved in step 2.
- Now wait while iFaith verify and cook signed IPSW for your iDevice. Whole process takes 5-10 mins max.
- Once done, use the following instructions to put your iDevice in DFU mode:
NOTE: Selecting Show Available SHSH Caches on Server option will only allow you to save all those SHSH cache files which are hosted on Saurik server. If you EVER restored a stock or custom IPSW of any firmware on your iDevice and forgot to save SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella, you can still save using iFaith Dump SHSH Blobs option.
The iFaith file will be saved in the following format:
Format: ECID_iOS Version (Build Number)_cache.ifaith
Example: 00000099BE1C4377_4.2.1 (8C148)_cache.ifaith
- Connect your iDevice to your PC via USB cable.
- Turn OFF your iDevice completely by pressing the Power button.
- Hold down the Home+Power button for exactly 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until Sn0wbreeze detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
- Fix iTunes Error 3194 While Restoring iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone, iPod & iPad