Thanks to iH8sn0w and DjayB6, now you can jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 on Verizon iPhone 4 untethered using Redsn0w 0.9.6RC14. After jailbreaking your Verizon iPhone 4 through Redsn0w, you must install CDMA iPhone Untethered Patch for iOS 4.2.8 from DjayB6 repo. As i0n1c's untethered payload is not easily reversible, so iH8sn0w used untethered kernel exploit by Pod2g+P0sixninja which is still vulnerable to iOS 4.2.7 & iOS 4.2.8.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 on Verizon (CDMA) iPhone 4 Untethered:
- Download iTunes 10.2.2 Windows or Mac OS X from here
- Download stock iOS 4.2.6 IPSW for Verizon iPhone 4 from here
- Download stock iOS 4.2.8 IPSW for Verizon iPhone 4 from here
- Restore stock iOS 4.2.8 on your Verizon iPhone 4 using iTunes. To do so, connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac via USB cable and launch iTunes. Hold down the SHIFT key (ALT for Mac) and click on the Restore button. Choose stock iOS 4.2.8 IPSW you downloaded in step 3 and leave the rest on iTunes.
- Once your iPhone has been successfully restored to stock iOS 4.2.8 firmware, launch Redsn0w tool. Click on the Browse button and choose stock iOS 4.2.6 IPSW you download in step 2. Let Redsn0w process the provided IPSW. Once done, click on the Next button to continue.
- Simply choose Cydia from the jailbreak options. Custom boot logos for Verizon iPhone 4 are not available at this moment.
- Plug your iPhone to your PC or Mac and turn it OFF completely by pressing the Power button.