iPhone Dev-Team has just released official PwnageTool bundle to jailbreak iOS 4.2.2 (Build 8F305) on Apple TV 2G. This PwnageTool bundle incorporates i0n1c's iOS 4.3.1 untethered exploit which is still vulnerable to iOS 4.3.2, iOS 4.3.3, iOS 4.2.8 and just released iOS 4.2.2 for Apple TV 2G. You can use this bundle to patch PwnageTool 220.127.116.11 and create iOS 4.2.2 custom IPSW for your Apple TV. Restoring this custom IPSW will jailbreak your Apple TV untethered on iOS 4.2.2.
Steps to Patch PwnageTool 18.104.22.168 with iOS 4.2.2 Bundle for ATV2G:
- Download iTunes 10.2.2 for Mac OS X from here.
- Download PwnageTool 22.214.171.124 for Mac OS X from here.
- Download iOS 4.2.2 (Build 8F305) stock IPSW for Apple TV 2G from here.
- Download iOS 4.2.2 PwnageTool bundle for Apple TV 2G from here.
- Place PwnageTool 126.96.36.199 app, iOS 4.2.2 stock IPSW and PwnageTool bundle file on your desktop.
- Right-click on PwnageTool app and choose Show Package Contents.
- Navigate to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/ and drag or copy the bundle file (AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F305.bundle) from your desktop to FirmwareBundles directory.
- Once done, close the opened window and launch PwnageTool app. Choose Expert mode from the top menu-bar and select iPad, AppleTV 2G from the shown iDevices.
- Now PwnageTool will automatically detect stock iOS 4.2.2 IPSW on your desktop. If for some reason, PwnageTool fails to detect the IPSW from your desktop, click on the Browse for IPSW... button and choose iOS 4.2.2 stock IPSW you downloaded in step 3.
- Click on the General tab and then click on the Next button.
- As you are jailbreaking your Apple TV, so there is no need to hacktivate etc. Just click on the Next button to continue.
- Click on Build tab followed by a click on Next button.
- Now wait while PwnageTool create iOS 4.2.2 custom IPSW for your Apple TV 2G.
- Once done, use the following instructions to put your Apple TV 2G in DFU mode:
- Connect your Apple TV 2G to your Mac via microUSB cable.
- Hold down the Menu+Down button on your Apple TV remote for 6 seconds until the light on the device begin to blink rapidly.
- Release both buttons and immediately hold the Menu+Play button for another 6 seconds until iTunes will detect your Apple TV in DFU mode.