Here is a step-by-step guide to downgrade your iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G & iPad 2/1 from iOS 4.3.3 to iOS 4.2.1/4.1/4.0 or iPhone OS 3.1.3/3.1.2. As all iDevices supported by iOS 4.3.3 have new bootrom, so this guide is only valid for those who already have SHSH blobs saved for the firmware to which they want to downgrade.
Read Before Proceeding:
- iPhone 3GS users with iPad baseband 06.15.00 can only restore custom IPSW of the firmware to which they want to downgrade. Restoring stock IPSW will result in infinite recovery mode loop.
- If you want to restore stock IPSW of the firmware, you don't need to use iREB to put your iDevice in Pwned DFU mode but if you are restoring custom IPSW made with PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze, you must use iREB.
- If you do not have any SHSH blob saved in Cydia or locally on your hard-disk drive then you can NEVER downgrade your firmware. Restoring stock or custom IPSW without SHSH blobs will result in iTunes error 3194.
- If you rely on an unlocked iPhone and have preserved your unlockable baseband, do not restore stock IPSW otherwise you MAY lose your unlock. If you are still restoring stock IPSW, make sure the baseband of the firmware you are restoring is unlockable using Ultrasn0w.
Steps to Downgrade iOS 4.3.3 to iOS 4.2.1/4.1/4.0 or iOS 3.1.3/3.1.2:
- Download TinyUmbrella for Windows or Mac OS X. To use TinyUmbrella, make sure you have latest version of JDK and JRE installed on your computer. Get it here
- Connect your iDevice to your PC or Mac via USB cable and start TinyUmbrella software. Select your iDevice from the left-panel of TinyUmbrella and hit the Save SHSH button on the right-panel. Let TinyUmbrella download and save all of your SHSH blobs available in Cydia to your hard-disk drive.
- If you do not see any SHSH blob in TinyUmbrella (Where red arrow is pointing) then there is no need to proceed further. You can not downgrade your firmware. If you have SHSH blobs for the firmware to which you want to downgrade then download its stock IPSW from the links below or use the custom IPSW you have created using PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze.
- If you are restoring stock IPSW, skip to step 7 and if you are restoring a custom IPSW, you need to put your iDevice in Pwned DFU state. To do that launch iREB tool, select your iDevice and use the instructions below to put your iDevice in normal DFU mode.
Download iOS 4.3.2 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.3 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad
Download iOS 4.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G & iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G
Download iOS 4.0 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G & iPod Touch 2G/3G
Download iPhone OS 3.1.3 for iPhone 3GS/3G/2G
Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 for iPhone 3GS/3G/2G
- Make sure your iDevice is properly connected to your PC and iTunes is not running in background. Turn OFF your iDevice completely by pressing the Power button.
- Press the Home+Power button at the same time for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until iREB detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
TSS Server Started!
TSS Accepting connections...
Stuck in Recovery Mode After Downgrade?
If your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad gets stuck in recovery mode after firmware restore, you can try the following tools to kick your iDevice out of recovery mode loop:
- If downgrading to iOS 4.3.2/4.3.1, use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.3.2/4.3.1
- If you are downgrading to iOS 4.3, use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.3
- If you are downgrading to iOS 4.2.1, use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1
- If you are downgrading to iOS 4.1/4.0, use TinyUmbrella (Exit Recovery)
- If you are downgrading to iPhone OS 3.1.2/3.1.3, use RecBoot or EasyiRecovery
Jailbreak Your iDevice After Downgrade:
- Jailbreak iOS 4.3.2: Sn0wbreeze 2.6.1 [How-To], PwnageTool 4.3.2, Redsn0w [How-To]
- Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1: Sn0wbreeze [How-To], PwnageTool, Redsn0w [How-To]
- Jailbreak iOS 4.3: Swn0wbreeze 2.3b4 [How-To], PwnageTool Bundles
- Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1: GreenPois0n RC 6.1 [Windows | Mac OS X]
- Jailbreak iOS 4.1/4.0: Limera1n [Windows | Mac OS X] [JailbreakMe for iOS 4.0.1/4.0]
- Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.3/3.1.2: Spirit [How-To]
Tips for Downgrading Your iDevice Firmware:
- After step 7, open http://gs.apple.com/ in your default browser, it should redirect you to Cydia homepage.
- If for some reason TinyUmbrella is not working, just add the following line to your Windows or Mac HOSTS file. In this way, you can skip step 2, 3 & 8.
- Click on the respective links to solve the following errors which you can encounter during the downgrade process:
- Fix iTunes Error 21
- Fix iTunes Error 1600
- Fix iTunes Error 3194
- Fix iTunes Error 3014
- Fix iTunes Error 3194 While Restoring iOS 5.1.1
If you encounter any other error while restoring stock or custom IPSW on your iDevice, feel free to ask me in the comments section below.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback