Disable Native Multitasking on iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G & iPad Running iOS 4.3.3

Here is a quick guide for those who want to disable native multitasking feature of iOS 4.x.x on their iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G and 1st-Gen iPad to extend the battery life of their iDevice. To disable this feature, all you need is a jailbroken iDevice with iFile app installed on it. I have tested this method only on my iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS but hopefully it should work on all other iOS 4.x.x iDevices :P

iOS Multitasking
Note: Before going for this manual method, i tried few Cydia tweaks (zToggle, Disable Multitasking) but none of them are working on iOS 4.3.3. As this is a manual method, so please make a backup of your PLIST files before tampering them :P

What PLIST File You Need to Edit?

For iPhone 4:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N90AP.plist

For iPhone 3GS:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N88AP.plist

For iPod Touch 4G:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N81AP.plist

For iPod Touch 3G:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N18AP.plist

For iPad:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » K48AP.plist

Steps to Disable Native Multitasking Feature of iOS 4.x.x:

1. Download iFile app from Cydia.
  2. Install iFile

3. Navigate to System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app and tap on the PLIST file respective to your iDevice. In this case, i will be choosing K48AP.plist as i want to disable multitasking on my iPhone 4. Tapping on the PLIST file will open pop-up menu with the following 3 options:
  4. Property List Viewer

5. Choose Property List Viewer from the displayed options and then tap on the Capabilities option.
  6. K48AP (Capabilities)

7. Scroll down to multitasking option and turn if OFF.
  8. Multitasking

9. Thats it! Respring or reboot your iDevice. Now that you have disabled iOS 4.3.3 native multitasking feature completely, you will definitely see a noticable improvement in the battery life of your iDevice.

ok3 years, 9 months ago

thanks alot !

gerard5 years, 1 month ago

does this work on ios 5

Yep, it probably should.

Carnifex4 years, 11 months ago

unfortunately, this trick is not suitable anymore ..

Alcoholic Semen Thrower4 years, 8 months ago

Chris5 years, 4 months ago

Just a quick note.
    For those of us who have had a 3GS prior to now having an iphone 4,
    iP3GS: the Plist for with multitasking will be the N88AP.plist file.
    iP4: The plist will be the N90AP.plist file .

Just use Redsn0wRC18 with the Enable Multitasking Gestures option ONLY checked. You need not follow the manual method anymore in case of issues.

Alberto5 years, 5 months ago

This is what i did guys. As I don’t know how to back up and I’m unsure when missing with root files.
    I use Springtomize to ‘disable multitasking’ future, I also turned off spot search and voice control. Then Im using backgrounder for my multitasking app. But you have to disable multitasking manually on ‘backgrounder’ before you leave the app, so for when I forgot to disable one or two etc I use the sbsettings toggle ‘RemoveBackgrounder’ and that cleans up every thing ( any app running and the app switcher dock). My memory is always above 300 mb :-)) and my battery seems lasting fair for me!
    And for jovox I have this page saved, in case I need it later ;-).
    Thanks for help us out.

Quickbeam5 years, 5 months ago

Incredibly helpful tutorial! Thank you Jaxov!

@ Alberto and Pramod:

As the first picture above shows, this tweak also prevents the interface of the native multitasking from displaying when the home button is double-clicked. Backgrounder doesn’t eliminate this functionality even if the global setting is to turn off any app on exit.

But this doesn’t make Backgrounder useless; it’s acutally a great pair with this tweak. With Backgrounder one can individually select which apps run in the background and with Activator, the gestures to start and stop them. Backgrounder still works even after Jaxov’s tweak.

Alberto5 years, 5 months ago

This tutorial it looks pretty easy, i belive i can follow it. Thankz in advance.
    I want to disable native multitasking (or whetever that is) and insted use backgrounder.
    Any sugestions are welcome.
    But what i dont know is, how to back up. I have no clue, if anyone can link me to a good and ease to follow guide?
    *apologize my bad english.

There is no point in using Backgrounder if you have disabled the Native multitasking feature of the iOS itself. You’ll have no apps to background itself in the first place. :D

Jonathans5 years, 5 months ago

Amazing! Thanks a million man.

MF Prince5 years, 6 months ago

Man, it’s an amazing tutorial! Thank you very much! I’m really impressed.

PS: Greetings from MOLDOVA, CHISINAU!!!

Randy5 years, 6 months ago

My battery has been in a mystery state since I updated to 4.3.3. Leaving it on overnight would take at least 25% of its power. I’ve tried several ways, but nothing worked. Last thing I tried was to turn off iTunes and Ping on the phone, and it seems to resolve the problem so far. Since I am not really using iTunes and its service so often, this works for me