Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 on Windows & Mac [Untethered] [How-To Guide]

Here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on Windows and Mac OS X using Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9. For those who don't know, Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 is based on Stefan Esser's untethered exploit which he handed over to iPhone Dev-Team last week. Using Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9, you can jailbreak all supported iDevices on iOS 4.3.1 untethered except Apple TV 2G and iPad 2. The procedure to use Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 on Windows is exactly same for Mac OS X.

Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9
NOTE: If you rely on an unlocked iPhone, DO NOT follow the above procedure directly. It will upgrade your baseband to 05.16.02 on iPhone 3GS and 04.10.01 on iPhone 4. All those who rely on an unlocked iPhone should follow this guide first to preserve their current baseband. Once done, follow the step-by-step guide below but skip step 3, 4.

Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 Untethered Using Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9:

1. Download and install iTunes 10.2.1 from here
  2. Download Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 for Windows or Mac OS X from here
  3. Download stock iOS 4.3.1 IPSW for your iDevice from here
  4. Restore stock iOS 4.3.1 IPSW to your iDevice using iTunes.
  5. Launch Redsn0w.exe and click on the Browse button. Select stock iOS 4.3.1 IPSW for your iDevice which you downloaded in step 3.
  6. Browse for iOS 4.3.1 IPSW

7. Now wait while Redsn0w processes the provided IPSW.
  8. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Processing Firmware)

9. Once IPSW has been successfully identified, click on the Next button to continue.
  10. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (IPSW Successfully Identified)

11. Now wait while Redsn0w patches the kernel in provided IPSW.
  12. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Patching Kernel)

13. When Redsn0w will provide you with the jailbreak options, choose Cydia and click on the Next button.
  14. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Options)

15. Plug your iDevice to your PC or Mac and turn it OFF completely by pressing the Power button.
  16. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Prepare for DFU)

17. Now put your iDevice into DFU mode using the following instructions:
    • Hold down the Power (corner) button for 3 seconds.
    • Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center) button for 10 seconds.
    • Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 15 seconds until Redsn0w detects your iDevice in DFU mode.

Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (DFU Instructions)

18. Now Redsn0w will patch the iBoot of your iDevice using Geohot's Limrea1n exploit.
  19. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Exploiting with Limera1n)

20. Once iBoot of your iDevice has been patched with Limera1n exploit, Redsn0w will upload the Ramdisk. If you get stuck at uploading Ramdisk step, use this guide to solve the issue.
  21. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Uploading Ramdisk)

22. In last step, Redsn0w will upload the patched kernel to your iDevice.
  23. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Uploading Kernel)

24. Once done, click on the finish button to close Redsn0w.
  25. Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 (Done)

26. Thats it! If you rely on an unlocked iPhone, use this guide to enable Push Notifications and fix YouTube app using SAM and this guide to install AppSync for iOS 4.3.1. Do not install Ultrasn0w 1.2 from Cydia until you are told to do so. Ultrasn0w for iOS 4.3.1 is different from Ultrasn0w for all other firmwares and it'll be available soon as a Cydia package update.

Update#1: Download Ultrasn0w Fixer to Unlock iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3.1 [Unofficial]
Update#2: Download Redsn0w 0.9.6RC10 & Redsn0w 0.9.6RC11 for Windows & Mac OS X
Update#3: Download Redsn0w 0.9.6RC12 to Fix Boot Logos Lingering Issues

Bhushan5 years, 1 month ago

Hi!

I have an Iphone 3GS with 4.3.3(8J2).

I looked on youtube for jailbreak and followed a systematic process which required me to change my baseband from Ios 4.3.3- 05.16.02 to 06.15.00 to unlock it using redsnow. I changed my baseband thru redsnow 0.9.6RC16. Everything went smooth till i could change my baseband. But Cydia is still running preparing file system. I downloaded Ifaith, saved SHSH blob. Now wondering what next do i need to do?.. Please help

Create a custom iFaith signed IPSW & restore to it from iTunes. After the fresh install, JB your device via Redsn0w & then complete the unlock using Ultrasn0w.

Akash5 years, 2 months ago

I have an IPhone 3Gs which i got unlocked from the vendor. Recently, i came to know about jailbreaking using RedSn0w and tried to jailbreak my iphone using the same. The software version installed on my phone was 4.3.3 (8J2). While installing Cydia, the Redsn0w version used was redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc16 while the ipsw downloaded from net was iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw. The process was completed and i found the Cydia icon on my iPhone.

The problem: when i launched the Cydia application, it showed Preparing FileSystem (Cydia will exit when complete.) It has been more than 2 hours and nothing is happening to the application. The phone meanwhile is working fine and am still able to access the other applications. Need to know how to start the Cydia Application.

Apparently the only thing that you can do right now is to save your current SHSH, restore your iOS to a completely fresh install of the same & redo the JB via Redsn0w.

Anthony5 years, 2 months ago

I have iPod Touch 4gen. with IOS 4.3.3. I downloaded redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 and iPod4_1_4.3.3_8J2_restore. I went through all the steps and after I finished, I rebooted the iPod and then I click on the Cydia app and is says Preparing Filesystem (Cydia will exit when complete.) And nothing else happens. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Had you tried to jailbreak your iPT4G prior to this Redsn0w run? If not, redo the jailbreak by first saving your current 4.3.3 SHSH onto Cydia (use iFaith) & create a custom 4.3.3 IPSW to which you will restore to. Next, redo the JB via JailbreakMe instead. Its much easier & faster.

Tommy5 years, 3 months ago

i have a ipod touch 4g 4.3.1 and jailbroke it with red snow but when i clicked cydia, it stayed stuck on “preparing filesystem”. Help please!!!

Which version of Redsn0w? Use the latest Redsn0w0.9.8b6 instead. Make sure that you reinstall 4.3.1 & then rejailbreak.

Jen5 years, 3 months ago

I went through the steps to JB using redsn0wRC19 but it won’t unlock now. I installed cydia and went through the steps to change the source to ultrasn0w but when I put in my new sim card there’s still no service. I took it to a shop that unlocks phones and they said that the 4.3.3 firmware cannot be unlocked without a turbo sim. I’m confused because everyone on here seems to be able to do it, so why can’t I? Please help, I really need my phone.

Your query is just too vague. I won’t be of much help to you if you don’t fill me in with your iPhone model/BB & iOS details.

Jen5 years, 3 months ago

You had told me to download the latest Redsn0w, which I did, but I can’t even get past the reloading of the 4.3.3 firmware because it says my device is not eligible for the selected build so I can’t even run redsn0w until I restore.

Eh, Redsn0w has got nothing to with that error form iTunes (Error 3194). Instead, you do not have the necessary SHSH saved for that particular version for you restore. Read http://bit.ly/oKCpYX first & then perform your restores if necessary.

Dax5 years, 3 months ago

PRAMOD.

You are F*CKING AMAZING MAN!

the JB went perfectly well!

from the iFaith to Redsn0w19.

Thanks man! Great Job!

Awesome !! Glad to know it worked !! :D

Dax5 years, 3 months ago

It got stock saying that

“Prepareing for FileSystem”
    Cydia will exit upon finish.

then after 5 secs, the screen goes black and the pineapple logo appears, then after that the phone would return back to normal again after approx 10 secs and nothing changed. :/ tried opening the cydia again, but the same thing always happens. I already tried rebooting the system and followed the steps on redsn0w to reboot tethered only, but the same thing happens :/

Mhm, Ok. Redo a fresh installation of the iOS (make sure that you have the SHSH blobs saved via iFaith as well http://bit.ly/qIa3E7.) Then create a signed IPSW using iFaith & restore to it. After this, JB your device using Redsn0wRC19.

Dax5 years, 3 months ago

Hi

I am using

iPhone4
    Carrier: Globe 10.0
    Modern Firmware: 04.10.01
    Version: 4.3.3(8J2)
    Bootloader: ICE_2_13

According to f0recast:
    Jailbreakable?: YES(with redsn0w)
    Unlockable: NO

I already tried [redsn0w 0.9rc16] but Cydia always gets stuck. I tried rebooting the iPhone but to no avail. I also tried going thru the steps of jailbreaking the phone but the results are the same.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Use Redsn0wRC19 instead to jailbreak your device on iOS 4.3.3. By Cydia getting stuck, can you explain in detail what actually happens?

Jen5 years, 3 months ago

I keep getting the message that this firmware is not compatible with my device when I try to restore with the 4.3.3 ipsw file. Do you know how I can fix this?

Are you sure that the iOS 4.3.3 you have downloaded is for your iDevice model?

Fabio5 years, 4 months ago

what’s up guys!

I just jailbreak my iPhone4 with redsn0w but, when I try to run cydia, it got stucked on Preparing Filesystem (Cydia will exit when complete).
    What should I do now?!

Help please!
    Thanks!

Well, did you try giving it a reboot as well? Sometimes the Cydia servers might be getting a hard hit on the traffic. Therefore, you might want to redo the process later.
      If it still dint work for you, you might have to restore your device and perform a fresh jailbreak of your device once again.

nosier5 years, 7 months ago

I DID’T STEP BY STEP BUT IT KEEP TELL ME THE PROGRAM STOP WORKING.
    BUT IN MY IPHONE I HAVE THAT SCREEN DOWNLOADING JAILBREAK DATA…
    I DID’T TWIS BUT NO CYDIA

r77w8c395 years, 8 months ago

Just to Highlight. Those encountering crashes at ramdisk portion.

Right click redsn0w.exe, click properties, click compatibility, then select “run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 3 and click apply and OK.

Thankyou r77w8c39 for sharing such a useful tip :)

MisterQuarter5 years, 8 months ago

For those who preserve their baseband with sn0wbreeze first and then jailbreak with redsn0w, where it says skip steps 3 and 4 and go on to step 5. Do you select the stock 4.3.1 IPSW or the custom IPSW that you just restored with previously?

iOS 4.3.1 stock IPSW!

MisterQuarter5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks just wanted to make sure. :)

Sasha5 years, 8 months ago

Hi Jaxov crew!

Ipad 4.3.1 – JB it with sn0wbreeze-v2.4b1 (+a lot of your help:)

Heres a question – If i JB it with Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 will i still have multi-gestures..? Also – Is it maybe possible to run Redsn0w over sn0wbreeze..?

Thanks in advance.

Greetz!

Yep it is possible to run Redsn0w over Sn0wbreeze to get iOS 4.3.1 untethered jailbreak but i will recommend you to rejailbreak using Sn0wbreeze 2.5 to get full untethered jailbreak with multitouch gestures!