Here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak your iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, 1st-Gen iPad and Apple TV 2G on iOS 4.3.1 using PwnageTool 4.3. Just like Sn0wbreeze 2.5 on Windows, you can use PwnageTool 4.3 on Mac OS X to create iOS 4.3.1 custom IPSW for your iDevice. Restoring this custom IPSW on your iPhone will not only jailbreak it on iOS 4.3.1 untethered but will also preserve your current baseband for unlocking purpose. If you do not rely on unlocked iPhone, the best way to get untethered iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak is through Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9.
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom)
- iPhone 3GS (New Bootrom)
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPod Touch 3G
- 1st-Gen iPad
- Apple TV 2G
Steps to Create iOS 4.3.1 Custom IPSW with PwnageTool:
- Download and install iTunes 10.2.1 from here
- Download stock iOS 4.3.1 IPSW for your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad from here. If you are Apple TV 2G user, download stock iOS 4.3 IPSW for Apple TV 2G from here.
- Download PwnageTool 4.3 for Mac OS X from here
- Create a new folder on your desktop and name it iOS 4.3.1. Place PwnageTool and iOS 4.3.1 IPSW file in this directory.
- Launch PwnageTool app and select Expert Mode. Now select your iDevice name from the list of available iDevices. In this case, i have chosen iPhone 3GS, 4 as i will be jailbreaking my iPhone 4 on iOS 4.3.1. If you have an iPod Touch, choose the iPod Touch 3G, 4G and if you are an iPad or Apple TV 2G user, choose iPad, AppleTV 2G option. Once selected, click on the Next button at the bottom-right of PwnageTool.
- Now PwnageTool will automatically detect stock iOS 4.3.1 IPSW(s) present on your desktop. If for some reason PwnageTool fails to detect the IPSW for your iDevice, click on the Browse button and select stock iOS 4.3.1 IPSW for your iDevice manually. I am choosing iPhone3,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw as i will be jailbreaking my iPhone 4 on iOS 4.3.1.
- Select General tab and click on the Next button.
- If you rely on an unlocked iPhone, choose Activate the iPhone. If you have a legitimate official carrier SIM card, simply un-check Activate the iPhone option. All other check-boxes are optional and some features are disabled as they are natively available on that iDevice in iOS 4.3.1.
- In the Download packages tab, first hit the Refresh button and then double-click on the OpenSSH to download the package.
- Click on the Select packages tab and make sure OpenSSH is checked. Click on the Next button to continue.
- Click on the Build tab followed by a click on Next button.
- PwnageTool will prompt you for the location to save iOS 4.3.1 custom IPSW. Choose Desktop and click on the Save button.
- Now wait while PwnageTool creates iOS 4.3.1 custom IPSW for your iPhone.
- During the creation of custom IPSW of iOS 4.3.1, PwnageTool might prompt you to enter your Administrator password.
- Once PwnageTool has created iOS 4.3.1 custom IPSW for your iDevice, use the following instructions to put it in DFU mode.
iPhone 4 (GSM) » iPhone3,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw
iPhone 3GS » iPhone2,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 4G » iPod4,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 3G » iPod3,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw
iPad (1st-Gen) » iPad1,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw
Apple TV 2G » AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F202_Restore.ipsw
- Turn off your iPhone completely
- Press and hold the Home+Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until PwnageTool detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
iPhone 4 (GSM) » iPhone3,1_4.3.1_8G4_Custom_Restore.ipsw
iPhone 3GS » iPhone2,1_4.3.1_8G4_Custom_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 4G » iPod4,1_4.3.1_8G4_Custom_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 3G » iPod3,1_4.3.1_8G4_Custom_Restore.ipsw
iPad (1st-Gen) » iPad1,1_4.3.1_8G4_Custom_Restore.ipsw
Apple TV 2G » AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F202_Custom_Restore.ipsw
Steps to Restore iOS 4.3.1 Custom IPSW on your iDevice:
- Open iTunes 10.2.1 on your Mac OS X
- Click on your device name from the side-panel to view the summary page.
- You will see two buttons on the summary-panel i-e Check for Update and Restore. Hold down the ALT (Option) key and click on the Restore button.
- Now select iOS 4.3.1 custom IPSW which you just created with PwnageTool 4.3. Once selected, click on Open button and wait while iTunes restore iOS 4.3.1 custom IPSW on your iDevice. Once custom IPSW has been restored successfully, your iDevice will reboot automatically.
Unlock, Enable Push Notifications, Fix YouTube & Install AppSync:
- If you rely on an unlocked iPhone, DO NOT install Ultrasn0w 1.2 from Cydia as Ultrasn0w for iOS 4.3.1 is different from all other firmwares. iPhone Dev-Team will soon release Ultrasn0w fix for iOS 4.3.1 as Cydia package update. Mean while, you can use this guide or this guide to enable Push Notifications and fix YouTube app on your iPhone using SAM. Lastly, install AppSync for iOS 4.3.1 using this guide.
Download iTunes 10.2.1 for Mac OS X
Download PwnageTool 4.3 for Mac OS X
Download stock iOS 4.3.1 IPSW for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen
Download iOS 4.2.1 (Build 8F202) for Apple TV 2G [Direct Link]