Last time we shared a superb guide on how you can install Windows 8 within Windows 7 using VMware workstation. This guide is for those who want to install Windows 8 as a standalone or dual-boot OS from a USB flash drive. To create a Windows 8 bootable USB pen-drive, all you need is a Windows 8 ISO image which you can download from different torrent websites. Before proceeding to the guide, keep in mind that the current leaked release of Windows 8 is in beta stage (Not even OEM), so you can experience some serious bugs and crashes which might lose you your important data.
- Windows 8 ISO (2.45 GB) « Download
- USB Flash Drive (4 GB or above)
- MBRWizard CLI « Download
- MagicDisc « Download or DAEMON Tools Lite « Download
Steps to Create Windows 8 Bootable USB Pen Drive:
- Plug your USB flash drive into your PC and format it in NTFS filesystem. To do that, go to My Computer, right-click on your USB disk drive under Devices with Removable Storage section and choose Format option from the context-menu.
- Choose NTFS from filesystem drop-down menu and hit the Start button.
- Mount Windows 8 ISO to any virtual drive.
- Press Ctrl+R to open Run window. Type CMD in the Open field and hit the Enter key.
- Navigate to the location where you have exacted mbwcli3083.zip and use the following command:
- As you can see my USB is labeled as Disk: 2 in the above screenshot, so i will be using disk 2 as my active partition to make my USB bootable. Use the following command on command prompt where X is your USB disk label.
- Open another command prompt window by repeating step 4. You can see from the screenshot after step 3 that i have mounted Windows 8 ISO image in F: drive. Now use the following commands where X is your Windows 8 ISO mounted drive and Y is your USB flash drive.
- Copy all files from your Windows 8 ISO image to your USB flash drive.
- Once done, reboot your computer and press DEL key to enter BIOS. Set USB drive as the first boot drive and exit BIOS by saving changes.
- If you followed the above steps properly, Windows 8 installation should start from your USB flash drive.
Mbrwiz /disk=X /Active
bootsect /nt60 Y: /mbr
Update#1: Create Window 8 Bootable USB/DVD with Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool [How-To]