Enable Multitasking Gestures on iOS 4.3.1 [Manual Method]

Many of you must have already tried to enable iOS 4.3.1 Multitasking Gestures by using MT Gestures Cydia app but unfortunately it didn't work for me so here is a manual method of enabling Multitouch Gestures on your iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G which involves minor editing to some core files of iPhone filesystem. All you need is a jailbroken iPhone 4/3GS or iPod Touch 4G/3G on iOS 4.3.1 with iFile app installed in it.

iOS 4.3 Multitasking Gestures

First step is to install iFile from Cydia. Just incase if you do not have a WiFi access or active internet connection, download iPhone Explorer from here as an iFile alternative. Once you are done with iFile installation, navigate to the following locations and edit the files as directed.

For iPhone 4:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N90AP.plist

For iPhone 3GS:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N88AP.plist

For iPod Touch 4G:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N81AP.plist

For iPod Touch 3G:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » N18AP.plist

For iPad:

Location: System » Library » CoreServices » SpringBoard.app » K48AP.plist

Code to Add:

Just add the following code to the PLIST file respective to your iDevice:

multitasking-gestures

N90AP Plist File
Add the following code to your com.apple.springboard.plist file by navigating to the following location:

Location: var » mobile » Library » Preferences

Code to Add:

SBUseSystemGestures

Com Apple Springboard Plist File

Once done, respring or reboot your iDevice to start using gestures. Note that after enabling gestures, you won't find any option to enable or disable gestures through Settings app. The advantage of this manual method over MT Gestures Cydia app is that it do not require you to install Winterboard app.

Be Sure to Check Out:

calo4 years, 1 month ago

Works perfectly for me! iPad 1 4.3.3. Just be careful when editing the .plist. One thing: I got the multitasking switch in settings app!!! This tutorial said that I won’t find it, but it’s there! Cool!

Treoze4 years, 12 months ago

i followed the steps, but not working for me. after i typed

SBUseSystemGestures

it didnt written in the com.apple.springboard.plist after i saved it. what happened? kinda weird. help! please?

Use Redsn0w0.9.8b7c instead to get your MT gestures activated. This is more of a manual method.

Imran5 years, 1 month ago

Sorry I’m not sure if that was aimed at me but I can’t actually open any apps at the moment cause it crashes and restarts when I open an app.

I inserted the text SBUseGestures via iFile and then upon rebooted the screen resolution had become similar to that of the iPhone and it crashes when any apps are opened… :\

You need to revert back the changes that you have done which is now causing all these issues on your iPad. If you cannot, you might as well have to do a fresh restore/update of your iOS.

Imran5 years, 1 month ago

I followed similar instructions from another site but it only told me to do the latter part, so I did, rebooted on my iPad and now the screen has become like an iPhone and when I open ifile it reboots my iPad, anyway I can edit the iOS file without ifile?

Please help!

Use Redsn0wRC19 & choose the Enable Multitasking Gestures option ONLY to enable the gestures on your iPad.

Nikolas Stow5 years, 4 months ago

it works! Well sorta. There is definitely A LOT of bugs in this. You can’t switch between apps while in landscape mode, and when you are in landscape mode, you can make the MT bar appear at the bottom.

Ciu5 years, 5 months ago

Hey Wolverine
    you can view the file by “property list viewer”
    and then switch Multitasking Gestures on
    on com.apple.springboard.plist also
    it’s easier than type on iTouch’s keyboard :))

Thanks for sharing this cool tip :) Really appreciate that.

Ropuh5 years, 5 months ago

Tnx, but can you write down what need to be changed in those files (what keys)?

I’ll do some reverse engineering after restoring iOS 4.3.1 custom IPSW made with Sn0wbreeze 2.5.1 and will try to find the exact keys which you need to enable Multitasking Gestures menu in your Settings app!

Sham5 years, 5 months ago

How about side switch on 3gs?

Ropuh5 years, 5 months ago

Is it normal thet after this there is no option in setting but multitasking gestures work?

Yep! To get the option in Settings app, you need to replace two more files i-e General.plist and Settings.plist. You can download these files from here http://bit.ly/gcv3Uu

Ankit5 years, 5 months ago

I m getting an error on line no 88 pl help Iphone4 working ios4.3.1 jailbreak by redsnow

Syntax error. Make sure you entered the keys as shown in the screenshots above!