Downgrade iOS 4.3.2 to iOS 4.3.1/4.3/4.2.1/4.1/4.0 or iPhone OS 3.1.3/3.1.2 [How-To Guide]

Here is a step-by-step guide which will help you to downgrade your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad firmware from iOS 4.3.2 to iOS 4.3.1/4.2.1/4.1/4.0.1/4.0.2 or iPhone OS 3.1.3/3.1.2. Before proceeding to the downgrade procedure below, make sure you have SHSH blobs saved for the respective firmware to which you want to downgrade. Note that downgrading your iPhone firmware doesn't mean you are also downgrading your current baseband.

Downgrade-iOS-4.3.2-Firmware

Prerequisites:

1. Download iTunes 10.2.1 from here
  2. Download iH8sn0w's iREB RC4 from here. This will help you to avoid 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604 and 1015 iTunes errors. If you are on Mac, use this instead of iREB.
  3. Download stock IPSW of the firmware to which you want to downgrade. All those iPhone users with iPad baseband 06.15.00 can not restore stock IPSW on their iPhones due to baseband protection by Apple, so you have to create the custom IPSW of a firmware to which you want to downgrade using PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze tool.
  4. Download iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen & Apple TV 2G
    Download iOS 4.3 for iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad 2/1st-Gen & Apple TV 2G
    Download iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad
    Download iOS 4.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G & iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G
    Download iOS 4.0 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G & iPod Touch 2G/3G
    Download iPhone OS 3.1.3 for iPhone 3GS/3G/2G
    Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 for iPhone 3GS/3G/2G

5. Download TinyUmbrella for Windows or Mac from here

Step to Downgrade iOS 4.3.2 to iOS 4.3.1/4.3/4.2.1/4.1/4.0/3.1.3/3.1.2:

1. Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to your PC or Mac via USB cable.
  2. Launch TinyUmbrella and wait while it detects your iDevice.
  3. Once your iDevice has been detected by TinyUmbrella, select it from the side-panel and hit the Save SHSH button. Now wait while TinyUmbrella saves your SHSH from Cydia server to your hard-disk drive locally. After saving all of your SHSH blobs to your PC or Mac, leave TinyUmbrella window open in background.
  4. TinyUmbrella Save SHSH

NOTE: If you are restoring a custom IPSW, you must follow all steps below but if you are restoring a stock IPSW, you can skip steps 4-7.

1. Launch iREB tool and select your iDevice from the displayed options. Make sure that iTunes is not running in background.
  2. iREB for iOS 3.x to 4.x

3. Now use the following instructions to put your iPhone in DFU mode:
    • Turn off your iPhone completely
    • Press and hold the Home+Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
    • After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until iREB detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
  4. As soon as iREB will detect your iDevice in DFU mode, it will use Limera1n exploit to patch the iBoot of your iDevice.
  5. iREB for iOS 3.x to 4.x

6. Once iREB has put your iDevice in Pwned DFU Mode, you are all set to restore your iDevice through iTunes without any error.
  7. iREB for iOS 3.x to 4.x

8. Now switch back to TinyUmbrella window and click on Start TSS Server button. Under the LOG tab, if you see the following two lines in the end, it means that your TSS Server is successfully started.
  9. TSS Server Started!

TSS Accepting connections...

TinyUmbrella TSS Server

10. Launch iTunes 10.2.1
  11. Select your device name from the side-panel to view the summary page.
  12. iPhone Name in iTunes

13. Now you will see two buttons on the summary-panel i-e Check for Update and Restore. Hold down the SHIFT key (ALT key for Mac) and click on the Restore button.
  14. Select the IPSW you downloaded in step 3 and click Open to start the restore process.
  15. iOS 4.2.1 iTunes Restore

16. Now wait while iTunes restores the firmware on your iDevice. Do not do anything silly while iTunes is restoring your iDevice. Once restored, your iDevice will restart automatically.

Stuck in Recovery Mode After Downgrade?

If your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad gets stuck in recovery mode after firmware restore, you can try the following tools to kick your iDevice out of recovery mode loop:

Jailbreak Your iDevice After Downgrade:

Tips for Downgrading Your iDevice Firmware:

1. After step 8, open http://gs.apple.com/ in your default browser, it should redirect you to Cydia homepage.
  2. To use TinyUmbrella, you must install most updated version of JDK which you can get from here. Do not forget to disable your Antivirus software before starting TSS Server.
  3. If for some reason TinyUmbrella is not working, just add the following line to your Windows or Mac HOSTS file. In this way, you can skip step 2, 3 & 8.

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

4. If you do not see any SHSHs in TinyUmbrella after step 3, you are not eligible for downgrade. At this moment, downgrading your firmware without SHSH blobs is not possible.
  5. Click on the respective links to solve the following errors which you can encounter during the downgrade process:

If you encounter any error while restoring stock or custom IPSW on your iDevice, feel free to ask me in the comments section below.

Recommended:

kay4 years, 9 months ago

i tried the step, u are a genius but the my 3gs did not restart automatically, i used ios 4.3.3. please should i press anything or what should i do

Peter5 years, 1 month ago

I worked fine, THANKS.
    So with iFaith i have 4.3.3 shsh blob now. and with redsn0wRC18 the new baseband 06.15.00 and with the jailbreak/cydia for unlock.
    THANKS again for your fast responce
    mvg
    Peter

Peter5 years, 1 month ago

thnks, I cannot restore to 4.3.3 since no shsh.
    Is it correct that I need to down grade to 4.1, of which I have the shsh, do a jailbreak and an BB update to 06.15.00? Or can I do a update to 06.15.00BB on 4.3.3 eventhough I don’t have shsh for it? If so how

You can definitely save your current SHSH blob for iOS 4.3.3 by using iFaith. Read this http://bit.ly/qIa3E7. Remember, this will not save your SHSH blob onto Cydia.
      Yes that’s right. All you need to do is run the Install iPad BB option ONLY using Redsn0wRC18 first & then rerun Redsn0w this time with the Install Cydia option. So yes, you need to run RS twice, once for the iPad BB & the other one for the jailbreak.

Peter5 years, 1 month ago

Hi bought a 3GS, 4-august-2011, with ipsw 4.3.3 and 05.16.02 BB.
    Running TU gave an SHSH for 4.1 and 4.3.5 and 5.0.b1 and 5.0.b2 and 5.0.b3.
    With my original 3GS I connected to jailbreakme.com and got a jailbreak together with a download of Cydia (great stuff). What can I do to get to an UNLOCKED baseband?
    Thank In advance for the help.
    Peter

You need to update your BB to 06.15.00 (iPad BB) if you want to unlock your iP3GS. This is the only way & there are chances of loosing your GPS functionality after the update as well. Read this http://bit.ly/lccwoE.

angus5 years, 1 month ago

Hi , now my iPhone 4 firmware is 4.3.5 and i would like to downgrade to 4.3.1 . So I have tried with Tinyumberalla but it can only saved until 4.3.3 . Is there anyway i can retrieve back the SHSH blobs for 4.3.1 ? I understand that it is impossible to downgrade to the desire firmware without that particular firmware SHSH blobs , pls advise me how can i fix that problem .

I have tried with the changing in hosts name but error 3904 for something i cant remember came out and i gave up on that option .

Thanks in advance.

regards , Angus

Obviously NO !! You ofcourse cannot retrieve an SHSH blob if it was not there on Cydia in the first place & the error that you get should be 3194.

annie5 years, 1 month ago

Can you help me jailbreak and unlock my iphone 3gs 4.3.5 baseband 05.16.02? Ive been searching on this site where to find the best solution.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Can you help me jailbreak and unlock my iphone 4.1 baseband 05.16.02? Ive been searching on this site where to find the best solution. Maybe you can help me? :-)

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Hi. I decided to restore 4.1 instead of 4.2.1 and i followed the downgrade instructions here. I was able to get out of DFU mode. Thank you so so much for being so patient with me. I almost gave up until you responded to my message. Now what i need is to jailbreak and unlock my iphone. I will stick on this site for more tutorial. Again, Thank you so much :-) Big hug

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Hi. I tried this option again > http://bit.ly/k1DeYH . It was succesfully restored but my iphone is Stil in DFU mode and itunes requires to restore… now im trying http://bit.ly/pioV9v. Does Download Redsn0w 0.9.7b6 for Mac also compatible with windows? i cant find one for windows. Thank u so much

Use Redsn0wRC18. Download it from here http://bit.ly/lMeWpa and use it to put your device into a Pwned DFU state only. Then, follow it up with a restore using the custom IPSW.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Okay. I will try it now. :-)

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Please tell me if i did it right, i launched snowbreeze and connect my iphone. iReb pop up after and i hit 3Gs and when its done, i restore using itunes. Did i miss something out? It seems that everything i did was not working. I might have miss something…

Well, you might still want to try out the custom IPSW’s mentioned here http://bit.ly/k1DeYH. These bundles were created by Pwnage Tool & not sn0wbreeze. Also use Redsn0w this time to put your iP4 into a Pwned DFU state http://bit.ly/pioV9v. I think its something to do with SnowB’s custom IPSW’s rather than you doing something wrong so try this one out.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

I started from the beginning. iTunes restored 4.2.1 but in the end i got error 1015. I launched FixRecovery 421 but my phone is still stuck with DFU mode.

Unless and until you follow as I say & use a custom IPSW to restore your iDevice, your bound to receive the 10xx errors. Your still using the stock IPSW.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Im not sure where to find the bootrom though. Is this the one iBOOT 359.3.2 ?

Yes, that indeed belongs to a new bootrom. But something seems to be very wrong that your using. Did you use Sn0wB 2.2.1 as I suggested?

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Yes my iphone is 3Gs. when i launch my iReb, i chose iphone 3Gs. I noticed on iReb and snowbreeze, it can detect that my iphone is on DFU mode. Though i didnt do anything yet. I really dont know what happened. I followed the instructions carefully. Every step. I have one question. Tiny umbrella was able to saved my SHSHs. Why i cant connet with tiny umbrella now, earlier i did.

Not the model, I was talking about the bootrom version of your iP3GS (Old/New).
      Also, Sn0wBreeze detected your iPhone in DFU because its already in one right now.
      You can’t connect to TU because TU cannot detect your device when its in the DFU mode.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Yes i did. I have a new bootrom. But im not sure about you said ” did i choose the right bootrom” though. Im new to this.

While creating the custom IPSW, did you select the New Bootrom?

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Hi. After using snowbreeze, my iphone 3gs still didnt work. It still stuck on black screen. Please help me.

Did you choose the right bootrom version? Did you check it using iDetector from iH8Sn0w?

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Thank you so much. I will try it now. Thank you for the soonest reply. :-)

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Okay, I will try snowbreeze 2.2 then. I only read redsnow from another site and from youtube. Can i still try snowbreeze after i used redsnow?

Sn0wbreeze as well creates a custom IPSW to which you need to restore to. Use Sn0wBreeze 2.2.1 & just forget about Redsn0w.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Yeah i tried that too. I got it from another site. It took me 4 hours to decide and read instructions step by step. I downloaded custom 4.2.1 restore then redsnow 0.9.6 b6. Maybe ill just update the phone to 4.3.4 on itunes. It worries me now. Is there any hope for my iphone?

Why Redsn0w? Why? That too a RS version having a tethered JB. Custom IPSW are already jailbroken. You need to really forget about Redsn0w if you want things to work !!

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

After the 1015 error from itunes, my phone totally turned off. I tried all solutions i can get. I also tried FixRecovery but my phone is still off. iTunes can connect to my phone but in Tiny Umbrella it says ” Not Connected”. I tried other solutions from youtube but still no luck.

Well, you might then want to restore your iOS using a custom IPSW then if everything has failed. Download one for yourselves from here http://bit.ly/k1DeYH. Make sure that you have put your device into a Pwned DFU mode before you start with the restore.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Hi. Pitch black. I tried tiny umbrella to fix recovery but it wont connect to tiny umbrella anymore. It only connects with itunes but says, “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode…” i dont see an itunes logo and a cable on the screen. No lights either. :-( After i restore 4.2.1 i got an error 1015. After that, it was pitch black.

Are you sure? Because the latest TU says that you need to put your device into a DFU mode and then hit the FixRecovery button right on top. You must be getting the Fix Recovery button active I believe. No, it’ll not connect and pop your device up in the DFU mode on TU’s screen.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

Please help me. Im stuck with DFU mode. When i connect my phone to TinyUmbrella, it says ” This device is not connected”. But i still click “fix recovery” anyway. I also tried RecBoot aswell but non worked. Please help me. Thanks

Please be more specific. Are you stuck in a DFU mode (pitch black screen) or in the recovery mode (iTunes logo & a cable) screen? Because both are not the same.

Miles5 years, 2 months ago

When downgrading does it require to jailbreak my iphone 3Gs first? Coz im not sure i undersatnd when tiny umbrella “TSS server is not running” i read it meantioned cydia which i dont have…

Elysio5 years, 3 months ago

This downgrade a baseband too? If I do the downgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.0.1 my firmware will be downgraded from 06.15 to 05.14?

Thanks in advance,
    Elysio

No it’ll not downgrade your BB. Once you have updated your BB there’s no going back to an older BB unlike the iOS versions.

Ray5 years, 4 months ago

Can I downgrade baseband on 3GS IOS 421 bb 06.15 to 3GS IOS 4.01 bb 05.13.04? if YES, please tell me how? THANKS

vidur5 years, 4 months ago

does restoring to an older stock IPSW change your baseband in anyway…i wanna preserve my baseband(05.13.04) so should i use custom ipsw to restore or a stock ipsw…and then just jailbreak using sno0wbreeze…
    i have iphone 3gs

Every firmware comes with its own baseband. If you want to preserve your current baseband, you should always use custom IPSW of the firmware to which you want to downgrade. You also need SHSH blobs for the firmware to which you want to downgrade.

Vidur5 years, 4 months ago

Yup I have the shsh blobs…. Thanks

Just create custom IPSW of the firmware to which you want to downgrade and restore it using iTunes. You need to provide SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella http://bit.ly/fK073B

Ransiri5 years, 5 months ago

Hey bro…., i update my 3GS 3.1.3 to 4.3.2 and baseband 05.16.02. Then now i want to unlock. But as i see cant do it without change baseband to ipad baseband 6.15 . But after that getting too much problem no… so can i downgrade my phone as like this method? is it harmless…? i am a new to this field… Please help me

You can downgrade using this method only if:
      1. You have SHSH blobs of the firmware to which you want to downgrade.
      2. If your iPhone 3GS have iPad baseband, you will be only able to restore custom IPSW of firmware to which you want to downgrade.
      3. Restoring stock IPSW for downgrading iPhone 3GS with iPad bb will result in infinite recovery mode loop.

aqeel5 years, 5 months ago

hi, i have tried to flow ur step i successful in evrery thing just i stick i recovery sate,,, I have iphone 4 4.3.2 ..i use TinyUmbrella and ireb now not useuful …. i need hepl soon plz

CZje5 years, 5 months ago

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

Hey so i did everything and it worked till i tried to have itunes do the work and it can’t find the files so i went in and looked and they are in .dmg.

The file name: iPod4,1_4.1_8B117_Restore (1).zip.9hmu1kk
    I have Ipod touch 4g with the 4.3.2 update.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I am not sure from where you are downloading the TinyUmbrella in DMG and IPSW in ZIP format.

Download TinyUmbrella for Windows from here http://goo.gl/7GIET
      Download iOS 4.1 IPSW for iPod Touch 4G from here http://bit.ly/hHs6sN

Do let me know if you are having issues in downloading or restoring the IPSW.

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

I downloaded the files again from the links you sent me and did the process and iTunes still couldn’t find the files and the files are still .dmg not IPSW. I don;’t know what i did wrong but i can’t think of anything to do.

Nops. I just rechecked my download links. Using the above links, you will download tinyumbrella-4.32.01.exe and iPod4,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

I got it all the way to getting it on my ipod and now nothing can pull it out of recovery mode. I need help PLEASE!!!!

Use this http://bit.ly/k3zzIx

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

I tried it but it still doesn’t work. all it is is a black screen but it’s on i can tell by when you plug it in it registers dfu mode device. i foloowed the onstructions on the page you sent below but the program didn’t work.

Can you explain what error you got? Also did the program ended after displaying Exiting libpois0n message?

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

I haven’t gotten any error message at all. My ipod is just stuck in DFU Mode. Also the fixrecovery ran all the way thru completely and got code to run on the ipod but after it was done i still couldn’t start my ipod.
            So now i don’t know what to do.

Try to restore the stock IPSW again and tell me the error code which iTunes throws while restoring!

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

It threw error code 1601

It means you are restoring custom IPSW. Stock IPSW will never EVER throw 16xx error. Anyhow, you can fix 16xx error by using this guide http://bit.ly/g2WlkP

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

So i did the fix error 16xx and it worked till i got error 3194 then i used the page to fix that and now i did the process and itunes went all the way through and didn’t throw a single error code. neither did tinyumbrella and now my ipod is in constant DFU mode and i can’t get it out.

DFU? You mean you don’t see anything on screen right? Just connect your iPod to your PC and hold the Power+Home button until you see the Apple logo. Also if you got error 16xx while restoring or you used iREB then it means you restored custom IPSW. Restoring stock IPSW will never put you in any loop and will never throw any restore error. There is no need to use iREB in that case. All you have to do is to provide SHSH blobs through TinyUmbrella.

Kunze5 years, 5 months ago

Hey i know this will eventually work but i need to use my ipod touch for things and the errors just keep going in a loop so thanks for the help and stuff but i think my ipod is too new for this to work so i need to know how to just get it back to it’s normal fully updated nonjailbroken place.

Just restore stock iOS 4.3.2 IPSW :) Download it from here http://bit.ly/hmTtsH

Josh5 years, 5 months ago

Hey!
    I did everything as per the guide up there. It restored, and iTunes even told me that it had restored, but then when it restarts, it restarts in DFU mode, and my iPhone will not longer turn on at all. What can I do?

Your iPhone model? Baseband? Do you have iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 SHSH blobs?

Julio Vazquez5 years, 5 months ago

WOW!! Thank you! I finally can downgrade to 4.2.1 on my iPhone 3Gs.
    Very good guide and very clear.

Kyle5 years, 5 months ago

do you have to have the ipod touch 4g jailbroken because i first jailbroke my ipod on firmware 4.3.2 then restored and now want to downgrade and then upgrade back to 4.3.2 and jailbreak again. really confusing but will this be able to work?

It will work only if you have SHSH blobs for the firmware to which you want to downgrade.

xboxhacks5 years, 5 months ago

My iphone is recovered on 4.0 and i cant kick it from recovery mode

Use TinyUmbrella http://bit.ly/cPXtcN or Recboot http://bit.ly/bWtu6v

xboxhacks5 years, 5 months ago

I tried but it doesnt get kicked out at all

Recboot should work on iOS 4.0/4.1 unless you have iPhone 3GS with iPad bb and you restored stock iOS 4.0 IPSW. If that is not the case, you need to explain what error you are getting when you try to use RecBoot.

Jom.56235 years, 5 months ago

OKay so I did everything in the instructions and by the end when its rebooting my iphone it says, “The Iphone could not be restored. and unknown error occurred (1015)”
    Recently today I was syncing my iphone to a different computer and it updated itself and so i have the version 4.3.2 and I cant down grade it to jailbreak or unlock it. What do I do?

Error 1015 means your restore is complete. All you needed is to kick your iPhone out of recovery using Recboot http://bit.ly/9zP3WB or TinyUmbrella http://bit.ly/bWtu6v. Syncing never upgrades the firmware until you hit the Update or Restore button. If you have SHSH blobs saved for the firmware to which you want to downgrade, you can still use the above guide.

Kevin5 years, 5 months ago

I dont have the IPSW… what can i do now, im in recovery mode and can’t save SHSH

Download iOS 4.2.1 untethered custom IPSW from here http://bit.ly/fgPNUM and restore it with iTunes. As your iPhone is in recovery mode, so you can not use TinyUmbrella to save your SHSHs. Alternatively add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to your Windows HOSTS file and reboot your system. Once done, restore this custom IPSW using iTunes. Do not forget to put your iPhone in Pwned DFU Mode using iREB http://bit.ly/fj30Jt before restoring your iPhone.

JoJo5 years, 5 months ago

thanks ok i just downloaded fixrecovery which worked to bring life back to my iphone which is now running 4.3.1 firmware…

ok so i have tinyumbrella, and the ipsw for ios 4.0 and the redsn0w bit im cool with coz i did it before and it all worked fine apart from the greenpoison thing and the restore loop. but im not sure about the shsh blobs bit?

thanks for the help awesome site and really clear ! :)

In order to downgrade, you need SHSH blobs for iOS 4.0. When you click on Save SHSH button in TinyUmbrella, it downloads all SHSH blobs from Cydia to you hard disk drive locally. See the highlighted portion in this image http://i.imgur.com/EinJa.png

JoJo5 years, 5 months ago

iPhone4 4.3.1 (8G4) and iPhone4 4.3.2 (8H7) are the only two i have … does this mean i cant do it? is there any way i can unlock on 4.3.1 or is this the only way? and now that i’ve restored i will have to jailbreak and re-download everything right? any suggestion on what you would do ? is it better to just stick with the 4.3.2?

oh and i was using my iphone to tether my wifi ipad 2 using my wi can i still use that in 4.3.2?

This means you can only downgrade back to iOS 4.3.1. You can never downgrade back to any other firmware unless you have SHSH blobs for it. Also unlocking your iPhone do not depend on its current firmware, it all depends on its current baseband. You can downgrade to iOS 4.3.1 and unlock your iPhone using Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 http://bit.ly/i7A1MD provided that it has unlockable baseband.

JoJo5 years, 5 months ago

my baseband says it is 02.10.04 and f0recast says unlockable:no, so I’m guessing I cant unlock it :( oh well at least I know how to downgrade and unlock an iphone even though mine wont let me. is it better to stay at 4.3.1 or update to 4.3.2, do i use Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 for both? is it possible that my network provider could unlock my phone?

You have been so helpfull thanks i’m probably asking the stupidest questions! :)

Any version of Ultrasn0w can not unlock iPhone 4 02.10.04 baseband on any firmware at this moment. You can unlock your iPhone 4 using Gevey SIM but it’ll cost you few bucks. You can upgrade to iOS 4.3.2 using Sn0wbreeze 2.6 http://bit.ly/gBOM7o Even after upgrading to iOS 4.3.2, you will not be able to unlock your iPhone until Dev-Team releases an appropriate tool to unlock iP4 02.10.04 and 03.10.01 bb.

JoJo5 years, 5 months ago

Hey I have a Iphone 4 and i had 4.1 installed, my phone wouldn’t let me unlock to use another sim, so i decided to downgrade whilst abroad to jailbreak my phone in 4.0, I followed all of your instruction and I got as far as rebooting after using redsnow , I tried to reboot in tinyumbrella by pressing “fix recovery” but i think i may have pressed it too soon as the iphone was not turned on and in recovery mode. suddenly the screen flashed white and a code came up…

The code said Greenpois0n like it was running the jailbreak code on it, and it ran for awhile and then it just shut off. I tried re-turning it back on and nothing happens, and it wasnt being picked up by recboot or tinyumbrella, so i figued i could just restore it in itunes, so it did. now its in recovery mood and every time i use recboot it seems like its turning on but then goes back to recovery mood it’s a continuous loop i cant get it out of… it is also not being recognised in tinyumbrella, i didnt do the HOST thing? could that be why, im really confused and would appriciate the help.

Assuming that you have iOS 4.0 SHSH blobs saved, let me summarize the downgrade and jailbreak procedure:
      1. Download TinyUmbrella -> Save SHSH button -> Start TSS Server
      2. Restore stock iOS 4.0 IPSW on your iPhone 4 using iTunes
      3. Download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 and jailbreak your iPhone using this guide.