TetheredBoot Utility is a tool created by Msft.Guy (@msft_guy) to boot iDevices into tethered jailbroken state on Windows and Mac OS X. Usage of TetheredBoot Utility is extremely simple. All you need is an iBSS file, Kernel Cache file, TetheredBoot app and the admin-access to the Terminal.
iBSS & Kernel Cache Files:
Every iDevice has a different iBSS and Kernel Cache file. There are two ways to get each of them:
- Rename the custom IPSW (.IPSW to .ZIP) which you have restored on your iDevice for tethered jailbreak. Extract it on your desktop. You can find Kernel Cache file in the root of extracted folder while iBSS file can be found by navigating to \Firmware\dfu directory.
- Download iBSS and Kernel Cache file for your iDevice from the links below:
Download iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n90 for iPhone 4
Download iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n88 for iPhone 3GS
Download iBSS.n81ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n81 for iPod Touch 4G
Download iBSS.n18ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n18 for iPod Touch 3G
Download iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.k48 for iPad
Steps to Boot into Tethered Mode Using TetheredBoot Utility:
- Download TetheredBoot Utility app for Mac OS X from here.
- Create a new folder on your desktop and name it tetheredboot. Put iBSS, Kernel Cache and tetheredboot app file in this folder.
- Put your iDevice in DFU mode by using the instructions below:
- Turn off your iPhone completely.
- Press and hold the Home+Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- Your iDevice is now DFU mode.
/Users/Jaxov/Desktop/tetheredboot/tetheredboot /Users/Jaxov/Desktop/tetheredboot/iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu /Users/Jaxov/Desktop/tetheredboot/kernelcache.release.n90