To jailbreak your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad using custom IPSW, you must use iREB to pwn your iBoot so that it may accept the custom IPSWs without throwing any restore error. Restoring custom IPSW without iREB usually results in 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603 or 1604 error. To bypass these errors on Windows, the best possible solution is to use iREB but unfortunately iREB is not available for Mac OS X. This guide will teach you how to use Redsn0w as an iREB alternative in Mac to put your iDevice in pwned DFU mode.
NOTE: First i used this method to put my iPhone 4 in pwned DFU mode to restore iOS 4.3 custom IPSW created with PwnageTool bundles and then i used it again to downgrade my iPhone 4 firmware from iOS 4.3 to iOS 4.2.1. In either case i didn't even got a single 16xx error. This guide is applicable to iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad.
Steps to Put iDevice into Pwned DFU Mode Using Redsn0w:
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.7b6 for Mac from here | Mirror
- Download stock iOS 4.2.1 IPSW for your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad from here
- Launch Redsn0w 0.9.7b6 and click on Browse button.
- Choose stock iOS 4.2.1 IPSW for your iDevice and click Open button.
- Wait while Redsn0w verify your firmware file.
- When Redsn0w echos IPSW successfully identified message, click on the Next button.
- Now Redsn0w will patch the kernel of provided IPSW.
- When Redsn0w shows you the jailbreak options as shown in the screenshot below, choose Just enter pwned DFU mode right now and click on the Next button.
- Plug your iDevice to your Mac and turn it OFF completely by pressing the Power button.
- Now put your iDevice into DFU mode using the following instructions:
- Hold down the Power (corner) button for 3 seconds.
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center) button for 10 seconds.
- Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 15 seconds until Redsn0w detects your iDevice in DFU mode.
Thanks to Boneless for sharing this useful tip in comments.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback