This is a simple guide which will allow you to setup and use iOS 4.3 Home Sharing feature on your iDevice. As a prerequisite, all you need is iTunes 10.2 or above and your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad running iOS 4.3. For those who don’t know, iOS 4.3 come with a new Home Sharing feature which allows you to stream any media, stored in your desktop’s iTunes library, to your iDevice wirelessly.
iOS 4.3 Home Sharing Settings on iTunes:
- Download and install iTunes 10.2.1 for Windows or Mac from here
- Open iTunes 10.2.1 window and look for Home Sharing menu under SHARED category.
- Enter your Apple ID and password followed by a click on Create Home Share button.
- As soon as you will click on Create Home Share button, iTunes will confirm the Home Sharing connection. Click on Done button and you are good to go.
- This is it. You have done all necessary Home Sharing settings on your iTunes. Proceed to the section below to do Home Sharing settings on your iDevice.
iOS 4.3 Home Sharing Settings on iDevice:
- Update your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad firmware to iOS 4.3. Get the stock iOS 4.3 IPSW for your iDevice from here. If you rely on an unlocked or jailbroken iDevice, upgrade to iOS 4.3 using Sn0wbreeze 2.3b1 or PwnageTool bundles.
- Navigate to Settings > iPod and enter your Apple ID and password under Home Sharing menu. If you don’t see Home Sharing option under iPod settings, verify your Wifi connection as the Home Sharing option is only visible when you are connected to a Wifi network.
- Now open iPod app on your iDevice and click on More tab at the bottom. Tap on Shared option from the list displayed.
- Now iPod app will show you the names of all shared iTunes libraries. Choose your library by tapping on its name.
- Thats it. Now you can see all songs and videos which are stored on your desktop’s iTunes library.
Tip: You can change your library name through iTunes preferences.
Turn Off iOS 4.3 Home Sharing Feature:
If you want to turn off iTunes Home Sharing feature, open iTunes and choose “Turn Off Home Sharing (Your Apple ID)” option under Advance tab.