Yup! Now you can upgrade to iOS 4.3 while preserving your iPhone 4 current baseband with TinyUmbrella software. Currently, there is no tool available which can jailbreak iOS 4.3 on iPhone 4 untethered, so if you rely on an unlocked or jailbroken iPhone, do not go for this hack. Before following the instructions below, do read the note at the end.
Steps to Upgrade iOS 4.3 on iPhone 4 while Preserving Old Baseband:
- Download and install the latest version of TinyUmbrella from here [Windows | Mac]
- Download iOS 4.3 firmware file for iPhone 4 from here
- Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac via USB cable.
- Launch TinyUmbrella app and wait while it detects your iPhone.
- Once TinyUmbrella has detected your iPhone, select it from the side-panel and hit the Save SHSH button. TinyUmbrella will download all of your saved SHSHs from Cydia and will save them to your hard-drive.
- Once saved, switch to the LOG tab and click on Start TSS Server button. Make sure iTunes is closed at this time.
- If you see the following two lines at the end of your LOG, it means TSS server has started successfully.
- Launch iTunes, hold down the SHIFT key on Windows (ALT key on Mac) and click on the Restore button. Browse to iOS 4.3 IPSW file for iPhone 4 which you downloaded in step 2. Click on the Restore button to start the restore process.
- Now wait while iTunes restores iOS 4.3 firmware on your iPhone. After sometime, iTunes will throw Error 1013 as shown in the screenshot below:
- This is what we wanted. Error 1013 confirms that iTunes has restored iOS 4.3 on your iPhone without updating its baseband. All you need is to kick your iDevice out of recovery mode using TinyUmbrella.
Switch back to TinyUmbrella window and right-click on your iPhone name from the side-panel. Select Exit Recovery from the context-menu and wait while TinyUmbrella kicks your iPhone out of recovery mode loop. Semaphore has officially released TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.3. Get it here!
- Once done, your iPhone will reboot and you will have your old baseband preserved.
TSS Server Started!
TSS Accepting connections...
Note: I tested this method myself on Windows 7 using TinyUmbrella but my iPhone 4 got stucked in recovery mode loop after 1013 error. I tried both TinyUmbrella and TinyUmbrella (Recovery Fix) but none of them helped. So, i downgraded my iPhone back to iOS 4.2.1 successfully and my baseband was still preserved. According to Artem Eyzips (@Slavakulikoff), the above method did worked for him but he was on Mac (Probably the issue is with TinyUmbrella's Exit Recovery function in Windows build). Thanks to him for the confirmation and above screenshot.
According to Artem Eyzips (@Slavakulikoff), it is not the issue with Windows build of TinyUmbrella but its the issue with iTunes 10.2.1. Downgrading iTunes back to 10.2 and using SHIFT+Update combo works flawlessly for Windows users.
Update 2: TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.3 has been released. Its 100% working solution to kick all those iPhones out of recovery who are stuck in infinite recovery mode loop after iOS 4.3 restore. Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) from here.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback