How to SSH into iPhone Through USB to Get Terminal Access?

Tired of WinSCP's Connection refused and Timeout errors? Do not have WiFi router in your home? With this guide, you can SSH into your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad through a USB connection. All you need is a jailbroken iPhone and a USB cable. Unlike DiskAid and iPhone Explorer, you can run Terminal commands using PuTTY, explore iOS file-system and set file-permissions through WinSCP.

Prerequisites:

• Jailbroken iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad
  • OpenSSH installed through Cydia
  • Afc2add installed through Cydia
  • A USB cable

How to SSH into iPhone Through a USB Connection:

1. Install OpenSSH and Afc2add through Cydia. Reboot your iDevice.
  2. Download i-FunBox for Windows from here.
  3. Launch i-FunBox.exe and choose USB Tunnel from the side-panel.
  4. i FunBox SSH Through USB How to SSH into iPhone Through USB to Get Terminal Access?

5. Note down the IP address under PC Address heading and port number under iPhone Port.
  6. Download PuTTY for Windows from here. Enter the IP address as shown in the screenshot below and click on Open button:
  7. PuTTY Configuration How to SSH into iPhone Through USB to Get Terminal Access?

8. Enter root as username and alpine as password.
  9. PuTTY iPhone SSH How to SSH into iPhone Through USB to Get Terminal Access?

10. To access file-system on your iDevice, download and install WinSCP from here. Open WinSCP and enter IP address shown by i-FunBox. Enter root as username and alpine as password.
  11. WinSCP Login How to SSH into iPhone Through USB to Get Terminal Access?

12. Click on the Login button to create a session.
  13. SSH Through WinSCP How to SSH into iPhone Through USB to Get Terminal Access?

Although i got a D-Link switch installed in my home but still i SSH into my iPhone using the above method because it bypass various WinSCP errors and above all its a faster way to SSH into your iDevice.

Ashu4u832 years, 6 months ago

gr8 way to install cracked apps….
    thanks a ton…
    —Ashu from Delhi, IndiA

Limpamosh2 years, 7 months ago

After i ssh into my iphone using the above mothod, how can i use the DD tool to make a disk image of my iphone?

rm19962 years, 8 months ago

i get access is denied when i type in alpine as the password

Jason Evanz2 years, 11 months ago

THANKS BROTHER for helpin me out~ god bless ^_^

saj3 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I have an iPad2 and I already have jailbroken it ! I downloaded cracked app from apptrackr but I don’t know how can I install it on my iPad2 without loosing the exist app on it. I used itunes to sync the .ipa files on my iPad2 but when I wanted sync it on the iPad2 it is shown that I will loos my previous app that I installed via installous .
    Do u have any idea to solve it ???

You need to have the apps that you already have on your iPad in your iTunes app library. Right-click on your iPad’s name from the left-hand panel & choose Transfer Purchases. After this, redo the sync again.

doubbleddis3 years, 2 months ago

I can’t beleave it actually worked. If yur going to SSH into an idevice without WI-FI this the way to do it. Oh” If you installed Sbsettings or Bossprefs thruogh Cydia then you wont need Afc2add installed

Caty3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks!
    actually what i wanted to is to ssh into the phone to save my notes, messages (not sure what others i can save). I will check out the iphone explorer.

Caty3 years, 2 months ago

Appreciate if you could help me. I followed all steps. However when i try to connect through Putty and winscp; it tells me “Network Error; software caused connection abort”.
    i’m running ios 4.1. thanks.

Unless its specific, you need not use SSH/Terminal methods to access your iPhone directories anymore. A much easier and simple solution called iPhoneExplorer is available for the PC/Mac. You can use that instead. Have a look here http://bit.ly/q7MDho.

Venkat3 years, 3 months ago

Heyy thanxx .. One more thing if i get my phone
    Jailbreak so will that gonna effect my phone as i got its imei unlocked its something just like factory unlock … Please tell me ..

No, it’ll not affect anything even if your iPhone wasn’t factory unlocked. You’ll not loose the activation, so no problems.

Venkat3 years, 3 months ago

But my all applications are running .. Do i still need to get it unlocked ?? Oops i mean jailbreak .. Nd thanxx for that ..

Yes. The apps that your running are from the AppStore. If you need to run any other 3rd party apps, you’ll need to jailbreak. your iDevice.

Venkat3 years, 3 months ago

What if i dnt have cydia installed on my iphone 4g version 4.3.3 .. How to get cydia nw … I dnt know whether it is jailbroken or not and if yes then how .. Please help me ..

You need to be jailbroken in order to get Cydia. If you don’t have the Cydia icon, it means your not jailbroken yet.