Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How-To Guide]

Good news for those who rely on unlocked iPhone. SAM which was previously broken on iOS 4.3 and iOS 4.3.1 has been fixed by SBingner (@SBingner) and now it do not throw Stockification Failure error when you try to revert the lockdown to stock. What SAM do is that it tricks iTunes to generate legitimate activation packets to activate your iPhone without official carrier SIM. Having official activation not only improves battery life but also provide you with fully working Push Notifications on your iPhone jailbroken on iOS 4.3 or iOS 4.3.1.

Steps to Activate Your iPhone on iOS 4.3 or iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM:

To activate your iPhone 4/3GS jailbroken on iOS 4.3 or iOS 4.3.1 using SAM, just follow the simple step-by-step guide:

1. Install SAM on your jailbroken iPhone using step-by-step guide here.
  2. Disconnect your iPhone from PC or Mac (If connected via USB cable)
  3. Open SAM app from your Springboard or choose SAM by navigating to Settings » SAM
  4. SAM Before Activation Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How To Guide]

5. Tap on the Utilities menu and then tap on Revert Lockdown to Stock button. You will see Stockification Success message. If you see Stockification Failure message then it means you have not installed correct version of SAM on your iPhone.
  6. SAM Stockification Success Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How To Guide]

7. Now tap on SAM button on the top-left to go back to the main menu.
  8. SAM After Activation Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How To Guide]

9. Thats it. Plug your iPhone to your PC or Mac via USB cable and launch iTunes. You will see the following screen in iTunes:
  10. SAM iTunes Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How To Guide]

11. Wait while iTunes generate legitimate activation packets for your iPhone. Once done, you are all set to sync and backup your iPhone.
  12. SAM Activated iTunes Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How To Guide]

13. After syncing and backing up your iPhone, iTunes will throw error 1631. Just ignore this message.
  14. iTunes 1631 Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How To Guide]

15. Open SAM app on your iPhone and click on the More Information menu.
  16. SAM WildcardActivated Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 Using SAM [How To Guide]

17. If you see ActivationState as WildcardActivated, thats it! Your done!
  18. Download iPusher app from App Store and check if your Push Notifications are working fine or not.
  19. Open YouTube app on your iPhone. It should run normally without throwing "Cannot connect to YouTube" error

I have tested the above method on my iPhone 4 jailbroken on iOS 4.3 and iOS 4.3.1. If you feel any kind of difficulty in activating your iPhone through SAM, just ask in the comments section below.

E-bo302 years, 7 months ago

Hi, I did this too and my device is wildcard activated but in SAM it says “Push Utils: Disabled- use Deactivate then activate with iTunes ( There will soon be an option to Fetch a push cert from PushDoctor here)
    and I did it several times deactivating and activating again but push does still not work :(

Mayur G82 years, 8 months ago

Hi After doing all above steps, still i m getting the same error in itunes saying that SIM is not of original carrier….. after connecting to internet,
    i have sim of vodafone india.

Ashish Meena2 years, 10 months ago

Thank you soooooooo much…I was really tired and fed up of my push notifications not working since ages and i was looking for a fix all over the net since a long way back.I tried almost and infact everything to fix my push but not even single fix worked.I tried installing PUSH FIX IN IPHONE MODDING,PUSH FIX (2) THAT WAS PAID,PUSH DOCTOR WHICH ALWAYS SHOWED ‘ZERO’ CERTIFICATES ON THE SITE.I was soooo unfortunate.Was really upset and frustrated.Felt like throwing my iphone and crushing it into pieces but couldn’t as i only had this one :P ..At last found this SAM fix to make push notifications work and also a fix for battery issues.But the youtube video had an old version of SAM so the videos were all outdated and i tried tried tried but failed everytime :( AT LAST SAW THIS POST FOR A FIX WITH NEW VERSION OF SAM .I tried it..went through step by step and got the phone ACTIVATED WITH AN UNOFFICIAL SIM ( VODAFONE INDIA).BUT PUSH STILL DIDN’T WORK..I RE-INSTALLED ULTRASNOW FROM CYDIA AND DID A RESPRING AND ALL I GOT WAS ‘IPHONE ACTIVATED’..I WAS LIKE LITERALLY JUMPING AND WAS SO GLAD. DID A REBOOT ,INSTALLED iPUSHER AND ALL I GOT WAS “YAY,PUSH NOTIFICATIONS WORK FINE!!! THANK YOU TEAM OF JAVOX.i LOVE YOU ALL.YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! :D

VV2 years, 10 months ago

No. Im unlocked with Gevey. Never had battery issues prior to activation

Your facing battery issues after official activation? If so, you can revert back by re-hacktivating your device via SAM itself.

VV2 years, 10 months ago

i seem to be having battery problems AFTER activating phone with some…any suggestions?

Are you running the iPad BB?

VV2 years, 11 months ago

Will SAM work on iphone 4 version 4.3.3 (8J2)?

Yes, it will irrespective of the iOS / iPhone model you use.

Gti39932 years, 11 months ago

GeveySim With IOS 5.0 GM iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334

GeveySim is blocked on IOS 5.0GM with 04.11.08 BB.(Tested)
    GeveySim Works with IOS 5.0 Gm If You preserve BB Update .(Tested)
    Sn0wBreeze Ipsw is recommended if you want to update to ios 5.0.

P.s: Sam is not working(Failure Revert Lockdownd)

SAM needs to get an update for it to work on iOS 5. Also, the Gevey was long blocked in the betas itself. So unless you have preserved your BB, the Gevey will not work on iOS 5.

suendra3 years ago

in my jailbreak iphone 3gs with ios is 4.1, modem firmware is 06.15.00, i tried to update ios 4.3.3, but i could not success. now when i open phone emergency call only shows. i use redsnow to jailbreak, it does not support. what to do?

Pramod3 years ago

What do you mean by it does not support? Are you sure that your pointing Redsn0w to the right IPSW file? Please explain your issue.

Betcha3 years ago

thanks for the stiff rebuke. I could not find much info on SAM, but now I understand how it works and it very useful to me. btw I do know the dif between unlock and activate, sorry my question was not clear enough for you. Are you saying I don’t need an unlock if I use SAM?

Pramod3 years ago

What I meant is SAM will not unlock your device. Only an update of your BB will. Read the last 2 sentences of my previous reply.

Betcha3 years ago

This is my problem also. I am sure I have overlooked something, because my t-mobile sim works in the t-mobile phone. My iphone simply has no service and cannot connect. I unlocked my phone already (4.3.2), but it has no effect.
    SAM does say that wildcard is activated.

modem firmware is 05.16.02

Please advise.

Pramod3 years ago

You sure did overlook many things. First off, there are 2 things which are totally different from each other: Activation & Unlock. SAM is only for activating your device via iTunes to fix Push & battery drainage issues. Its in no way related to any kind of unlock. Its mentioned right there in the fist para as well. Next, to unlock your device, you need to first update your BB to 06.15.00 which is an iPad’s BB. Make sure that you first aware of all the risks involved with this kind of permanent update & only then proceed for the unlock. Read this http://bit.ly/jVI3cT to unlock your device.

harikrishna3 years ago

hi
    i have an iphone 3g and updated my ios to 4.2.1 its updated my baseband to 05.15.04. i have jailbroken my iphone using iphone ios4.2.1custom ios. i tried SAM and selected country using method options. bt it didn’t work. can you please tell me how to unlock my device. or you atleast tel me how to downgrade my baseband. my device is currently not usable.

Pramod3 years ago

Ofcourse it will not be usable. SAM is used only for activating your device with Apple, not for unlocking your device. There is a difference between the two. The only way that you can unlock your device is by updating your BB to an iPad’s BB. Make sure that your aware of the risks (like battery drainage, GPS loss etc..) of updating to the iPad BB before proceeding. There is no way that you can downgrade your BB once updated. Read this http://bit.ly/lccwoE to proceed with the unlock.

Steve3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the tips. I had to reinstall cydia as well for some reason, but eventually it all worked and I can now use t-mobile. However, I am confused. What does SAM do then when you say it activates you iphone?

Its all right there in the first paragraph of the post.

Steve3 years, 2 months ago

I tried to restore my phone using the pwnagetool which created iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Custom_Restore.ipsw and update it to a 6.15.00 BB but when I followed all the steps and tried to restore using iTunes I got a message that says cannot be restored and that it isn’t eligible for that custom build.

You need not do that. Use Redsn0wRC18 by pointing it to the 4.3.3 IPSW and on the options page choose ONLY the Install iPad BB option and continue. Once your back up, use Ultrasn0w.

Steve3 years, 2 months ago

05.16.02

I went to jailbreakme. com on my iphone and installed cydia and then followed the instructions for unlocking with ultrasn0w.

That is wrong. Your BB currently belongs to an Ultrasn0w unlockable BB version. You need to update your BB to an iPad’s BB first and then run Ultrasn0w.

Steve3 years, 2 months ago

I have a 3gs with ios 4.3.3 and when I install SAM and go through the steps it says “Stockification Failure” It only gives me one choice to download SAM version 0.1.11-1, so how do I know if I am installing the wrong version? When I install SAM and go through the process I have to de-Activate my iphone to get the option to Revert Lockdown to Stock. When I deactivate and press Revert Lockdown to Stock it says “Stockification Failure.” Does anyone have any advice?
    Also I bought my iphone with AT&T, but have recently switched to t-mobile. I would like to activate my t-mobile sim card on my iphone, but nothing seems to work. When I insert the t-mobile sim card, my phone just says “Searching…” When I plug it into to i-Tunes it pulls up the same screen as before when I used AT&T.

This is not a SAM problem. SAM only activates your iPhone with iTunes & not your SIM. What you need is an unlock rather than an activation. Therefore you need to unlock your device first in order to use it with T-Mobile. What BB/Modem Firmware version is it on currently?

gti39933 years, 4 months ago

iPhone(3Gs,4)Tested on 4.3.3
    If You Use SAM and you still get this MSG:
    (The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported)
    1:Go To SETTINGS (iPhone Home Screen Menu)
    2:General
    3:About
    4:Check Your Model Number(If You Know the Original Carrier for your iPhone Skip)
    5:Copy Your Model number and google it as it is .
    6:You’ll be able to know which is the original carrier for the iphone
    7:Back To SAMPrefs
    8:Method—-> By Bundle Name
    9:Chose The Original Carrier for the iphone you’re using(NOT THE SIMCard)
    10:Disconnect your Iphone from The PC and plug it back in.
    11:If You still see the MSG again try Changing (SIM ID)

SAMPrefs Depends on the ORIGINAL CARRIER Of the iPhone Not The SIMCARD
    You can use any SIM as long as you chose the original carrier for the iPhone

Dude, i mean it really works? If this is true then i must say, you are my hero :D

Rob3 years, 4 months ago

Worked for me! thanks alot mate, good solution.

factoryactivated3 years, 4 months ago

I installed SAM on 3.1.3 (06.15.00) and activationstate: factoryactivated. What its means? It is good or bad?

It do not mean good :P U need to be Wildcard Activated. Sync your iPhone with ur PC.

kaleem3 years, 4 months ago

hello i followed the procedure, when i plug the phone into my computer and run itunes, it asks me for att info. im doing all the steps with out a sim card.

Activating your iPhone without a SIM card is not possible. SAM needs your IMSI, ICCID info to activate your iPhone.

jasz3 years, 4 months ago

at last i bought gevey sim to unlock after very long time having expensive ipod.at first i activate the gevey, the bar only show 1 bar and after install ultrasnow 1.2.3 the signal is amazing full bar!.then through this tutorial install sam to activate make my iphone 4 ios 4.3.2 bb 2.10.04 work greattt!!!!!!
    now i do not need to wait for dev team for the unlock which i have follow up 100 times a day from tweet or other site since 6 month ago!!!

Same case is with me but i am getting full signal-bars with Gevey without using Ultrasn0w :)

JBmonkey3 years, 5 months ago

Finally, got it to work!

I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.3.1 with baseband 04.26.08, jailbroken with PwnageTool 4.3.

On the first try, it all worked very smoothly. I didn’t even have to select a manual provider; iTunes activated silently. SAM immediately showed “WildcardActivated”. However, push notifications didn’t work, even though YouTube worked (and has always worked for me thanks to an old Push Fix that I had for a while).

I then uninstalled Push Doctor and used SAM to deactivate and try again. iPusher still didn’t work. But then I followed step 16 at http://bit.ly/i7ceCI
    “If for some reason Push Notifications are still not working, go to SAM » Utilities and tap on Backup Activation button followed by a tap on Restore Activation button.”
    That fixed it.

iPusher then started working! The only thing is I had to reinstall all the apps that do push notifications for them to start working, except for iPusher for some reason — maybe because it was installed recently.

sushi_lost3 years, 5 months ago

SAM sucessfully activated..youtube working but push still not working what to do now?????????

Jeff3 years, 5 months ago

FOLLOW UP: My Push Notification works now… I installed Push Doctor AFTER I followed this SAM instructions. iPhone 3GS 4.3.1 Baseband 0.5.13?
    Pwnage Tool » UltraSn0W ‘Fix’ (for Signal Bars Fix) » SAM no errors/no #7 screen but WildCarded (working for Youtube no Push) LASTLY: Push Doctor (working Push Notifications)

Jeff3 years, 5 months ago

I followed all these instructions and I didnt install PushDoctor… but when I get to #7, it didn’t show up that screen… it just showed up the normal because my iphone’s already synced and unlocked… but prior to this, SAM showed something like a Hacktivated description so I did a lockdown and plugged it in… but as Ive said, I didn’t get the ‘fake’ activation screen. Please Help…

sagar3 years, 5 months ago

EVERYTHING WORKS FINE … I DID AS DESCRIBED.
    IT SHOWS WILDCARD ACTIVATED… BUT STILL PUSH NOT WORKING :(
    WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

Make sure not to install Push Doctor and SAM (At the same time) on your iPhone. Just restore your iDevice again and the first thing you need to do after restore is to install SAM.

Németh Bálint3 years, 5 months ago

And the Gevey SIM?

Siddharth3 years, 5 months ago

Hello, i am from india, i tried the above method but i see the message in itunes that the sim card inserted is not supported. Can you please help, i tried by manually selecting the country and the carrier, still i get the same message.

You need to try different SIM card. Just take it from any friend, activate your iPhone and return him his SIM back.

Sharninder3 years, 5 months ago

Ok. Just to clarify. I have an AT&T locked phone. Using this method will I be able to unlock it and use any SIM with the phone ?

No. It only activates your iPhone (Do not unlocks it). To unlock, you need to use Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 http://bit.ly/i7A1MD provided that your baseband is supported by it.

sushi3 years, 5 months ago

omg…eureka it works… thanx a lot

Németh Bálint3 years, 5 months ago

it work with iphone 4 because in twitter is just 3GS and 3G my itunes say: There is no im card installed in the Iphone you are attemting to activate…
    i dont need to deactivate iphone 4 on sam? T-mobil Hungary
    pls help me!!!:)

First put a valid SIM card in your iPhone and then start from step 1.

Németh Bálint3 years, 5 months ago

Wont work :(

You need to try different SIM. Also try to choose your carrier and country manually by navigating to “Method” option in SAM!

Németh Bálint3 years, 5 months ago

But in carrier i dont find Tmobile. I tryd with bundle but dont work(sorry for the bad english)

Did you installed SAM before installing Ultrasn0w?

Nèmeth Bàlint3 years, 5 months ago

No I don’t installed ultrasn0w my baseband number is: 3.10

Only solution left is to try different carrier SIMs around you. Just take SIMs from friends and try to activate your iPhone with SAM. Once done, return their SIM back and put your regular SIM in your iPhone.

Oussama3 years, 5 months ago

hello , i’v I4 in 4.3.1 but Push no work , i follow step by step in this tuto , but (If you see ActivationState as WildcardActivated, thats it! Your done!) i see just Factoryactivate , please how i fix it
    PS : i Follow all this step thank’s

After reverting lockdown to stock, you need to connect your iPhone to your PC to legitimate activation packets. Can you tell me the message displayed by iTunes after step-6?

Oussama3 years, 5 months ago

Yes , The sim cards install can’t activate your iPhone ,
        when , i Hacktivate a Phone with SAM , ( in activate state show = FactoryActivated , and iTunes Show my device
        but when i disabled hacktivate , i enabled – auto detect and in (activationstate=UNActivated)

And iTunes show the error : The sim cards install can’t activate your iPhone ,

my problem is not activate , but in your Tuto i see in ‘ Activatestate = Wildcardactiivate , , this is the mean for activate the Push Notiftcation ,

PS: Push Doctor no work , thank’s

Diesel2NV3 years, 5 months ago

After following the SAM installation proceedures, I too cant seem to get itunes to succeed– it still says “My SIM card is not compatible”

MSR3 years, 5 months ago

hey i jail my iphone 4 using snowbreeze 2.5, SAM is not working Itunes said ur sim is not comaptible

Tips:
      1. Have you reverted to stock iOS lockdown status successfully? iPhone should be disconnected to your PC or Mac at this stage.
      2. Do not restart or respiring your iPhone when you revert back to stock lockdown
      3. Make sure your SIM is inserted when you open iTunes and you have active internet connection.

noceur3 years, 5 months ago

This worked… i just left SAM open on the main screen and connected my iphone to itunes with the simcard in. dont respring/boot or even exit the app. worked for me after i did that.

CplHardy3 years, 5 months ago

This works perfectly thank you

Rawls3 years, 5 months ago

Holy #$&%!!!! this works very well!!, 6 months without push and now works fine!! luv u man! :D

Maverick3 years, 5 months ago

Not only Push Notifications but you will see significant improve in your battery life :D

Mobile Themes World3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the information and tips

Jacques3 years, 6 months ago

I have the same problem of mike : an error message in iTunes about wrong sim cart. I have a jailbroken and unlocked 3GS OS 4.1 (8B117) bb 6.15.00.

Choose your carrier and country manually by navigating to “Method” option in SAM.

Mike3 years, 6 months ago

I did and it still says the same. :(

Do you have any other SIM around you? Do give it a try. Once activated, you can put any SIM in your iPhone.

Mike3 years, 6 months ago

I just tried it with a UK T-Mobile SIM (after failing with a UK O2 SIM) and the same error appeared in iTunes – “The SIM card in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.”

I am myself using UK O2 SIM and it worked flawlessly. You got iPhone 4 jailbroken on iOS 4.3.1?

Mike3 years, 6 months ago

Nope, its a 3GS on 4.3 – is this why?

SAM also works fine on iOS 4.3 and i have tested it myself. Today Dev-Team will release iOS 4.3.1 untethered jailbreak, wait for it and then re-jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on your iPhone using PwnageTool or Redsn0w. Hopefully it will solve the SAM issue on your iPhone.

Mike3 years, 6 months ago

I’ll do that and let you know if it works or not. Hopefully it does! Thanks for your help, Wolverine!

Mike3 years, 6 months ago

I re-jailbroke 4.3.1 using new Redsn0w, and it still doesn’t work. I’m literally running out of options here. :(

Alll you want is to enable Push Notifications? If that is the reason then you can use install Push Doctor from Insanelyi repo.

Mike3 years, 6 months ago

I would just like to activate my iPhone… its such a mission. :(

You can ask the developer on Twitter, i am sure he will help you out!

rah3 years, 5 months ago

I have the same problem. Did u get any solutions?

Wait wait! When you click on Revert Lockdown to Stock button, after that do you respiring or reboot your iPhone?

Mike3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, Wolverine, every time. :(

Maverick3 years, 5 months ago

Once you tap on Revert Lockdown to Stock button, just leave your iPhone as it is. Connect it to iTunes and activate. Never respring or reboot your iPhone.

Mike3 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately, Maverick, this still doesn’t work. :(

This only solution left is to try another SIM card which is recognizable to SAM. The very first thing i do after restoring my iPhone with custom IPSW is to install SAM and i have O2 SIM as well. The best thing about this is that O2 SIM is expired (not-Active) and i only use it to activate my iPhone. Once done, i remove it and put my regular SIM card.

Mike3 years, 6 months ago

I followed this step-by-step guide down to a Tee, and it still says “The SIM Card Inserted in this iPhone is Unsupported”… I even tried restarting like you suggested in another comment. Any ideas?

Choose your carrier and country manually by navigating to “Method” option in SAM!

AngelCos3 years, 6 months ago

Hello ..! Some questions about SAM and Push Doctor:

1. This method is better in terms of battery than Push Doctor?

2. This method can be used if you already have Push Doctor?? (just uninstalling it)

3. Recommend change the method of activation?

thanks.. :D

1. This method is better in terms of battery than Push Doctor?

Yes, Push Doctor never activates your iPhone. It just install essential libs which fixes Push Notifications and YouTube app.

Just uninstall Push Doctor first and then install SAM.

3. Recommend change the method of activation?

100% Yes. Activation through SAM is way too better than hacktivated iDevice. Hacktivated iDevice is always in search of legitimate activation certs which are only generated by iTunes if your iPhone has official carrier SIM in it. SAM allows you to generate those activation packets without official SIM card.

AngelCos3 years, 6 months ago

I have two years visiting web pages in Spanish about IOS and Jailbreak,
    I know this site for 3 weeks or so. and I can say that this site is the best and the most updated information about iOS and jailbreak ‘ve ever seen!
    I speak Spanish and although it is in English, I have it in my favorites!

Congratulations from Venezuela.. ;)
    (Sorry for my bad English)

akhilsingh823 years, 6 months ago

Is this an April fools gag?

dave3 years, 6 months ago

The sim card installed on your iPhone does not appear to be supported is the message i get on iTunes after following the steps for SAM? Any Ideas?

After step 5, did you restart your iPhone?