Semaphore has just released TinyUmbrella (Recovery Fix) v4.21.14 for Windows and Mac OS X. Previously TinyUmbrella (Recovery Fix) was only available to Mac OS X users. For those who don't know, this special edition of TinyUmbrella can help those who are stuck in infinite recovery mode loop after iOS 4.2.1 restore using TinyUmbrella or Saurik’s server.

TinyUmbrella v4.21.14 Download TinyUmbrella (Recovery Fix) for Windows to Fix iOS 4.2.1 Recovery Mode Issue [Error: 10xx]

How to Exit Recovery Mode Loop Using TinyUmbrella (Recovery Fix):

1. Download and install TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for Windows or Mac OS X.
  2. Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac and launch TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) app. At this stage you will notice that the Fix Recovery button is disabled.
  3. Put your iPhone into DFU mode by using the instructions below:
    • Turn off your iPhone completely.
    • Press and hold the Home+Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
    • After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home for another 10 seconds.

TIP: If for some reason you failed to put your iPhone into DFU mode using the above instructions, just follow this video guide.

4. Once your iPhone is in DFU mode, select your iPhone from the TinyUmbrella's side-panel.
  5. Click on Fix Recovery button and wait while TinyUmbrella kicks your iPhone out of recovery mode.

Other than Fix Recovery option, TinyUmbrella v4.21.14 can save iOS 4.3 Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3 and GM SHSH blobs for your iDevice. To save iOS 4.3 SHSH blobs, you do not need to have a jailbroken iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad and neither it is compulsory that it should be running any iOS 4.3 beta or GM on it.

Download Links:

Download TinyUmbrella v4.21.14 for Windows
Download TinyUmbrella v4.21.14 for Mac OS X

Update#1: Semaphore has updated TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1 with more simple interface. Get the latest version from the links below:
Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1 [Windows | Mirror]
Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1 [Mac | Mirror]

Update#2: Exit iOS 4.3 Recovery Loop with TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) [Windows & Mac]
Update#3: Download TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) for iOS 4.3.2/4.3.1 to Exit Recovery Loop

Be Sure to Check Out:

Sartaj2k12 years, 7 months ago

how i  can free download recovery mode toolbox v4

Danielle2 years, 11 months ago

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, I been at this for hours. I cannot get my phone to downgrade back to iOS 5. I followed all the steps and it STILL says 5.0.1.

You can’t. Apple isn’t signing iOS 5.0 anymore & neither can you downgrade to it unlike 4.x.x restores using the cached SHSH blobs. The SHSH blobs work the same no more. Restoring / staying on iOS 5.0.1 is your only option.

Dryice_Help2 years, 11 months ago

ios 4.2.1 is bugged by Apple to disable uses to unofficially JB devices (i heard). Multi-tasking has been dysfunctional in this ios, read a lot of posts and blogs. Trying to find a solution, uninstalling and reinstalling all apps one-by-one doesnt seem to help. opengles key file needs to be edited from N82AP.plist. But the downside is that some graphical lines appear on some screens. Looking for a better alternative. Btw, thanks for the help. Cheers !!

iP3GS never really needed any .plist editing for enabling multitasking on iOS 4.2.1. Native multitasking is already enabled by Apple OTB. I’m not sure what your talking about.

Dryice_Help2 years, 11 months ago

Hello Pramod. Thanks for the guidance. I checked the restore only pwned DFU option in redsn0w, then shift+restore custom FW 4.2.1 in iTunes, and then again jailbreak with redsn0w. Now my device is usable. But i still have a small problem. Everytime my iPhone3gs multi-tasks, springboard crashes and restarts. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Its probably some incompatible Cydia app / tweak that’s causing this issue. You might want to try uninstalling them first.

alext2 years, 11 months ago

hello, please help if you can. i currently have an iphone 4 4.2.10 that is stuck in recovery mode i think..its got the itunes logo and the usb on the screen. i did a tethered jailbreak and then tried to make it untethered but i accidentally did it not realizing that the firmware i have is not compatible with it. ever since then i am just stuck. i am not familiar to tinyumbrella so i am struggling and very worried. if anyone can please help it would be greatly appreciated

In case of a Verizon iP4, you only have the option to update to iOS 5.0.1 because there isn’t any tool that will create a custom 4.2.10 IPSW for you to restore to even if you had the SHSH cached. :(

Yoyofdeath2 years, 11 months ago

please help, I recently bought a jailbroken iPhone 3gs from one of my friends. When i tried to restore it, i got error code 1015. I realize that this is because it was jailbroken when i tried to restore it.It its currently stuck in restore mode. I’ve tried putting it in pwnd dfu mode and then restoring it again, but that didn’t work. I also tried downloading tiny umbrella and then kicking it out of restore mode from there, but that didn’t work either. The fix recovery loop option also didn’t work. I am pretty sure that the iPhone is/was running 4.2.1, with the new base band. any help would be appreciated.

Did you / your friend save any SHSH for this device on Cydia? If not, create a custom 4.1 IPSW (use Sn0wbreeze v2.1) & restore to it. You got that error because you were already on an iPad BB / higher BB version than the one which comes with iOS 4.2.1.

Dryice_Help2 years, 11 months ago

Hello, I have an iPhone3G running fw 4.2.1. I recently installed some crap repo file and when i restarted my phone i get stuck on an Apple Logo. I had previously jbroken my iPhone with redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and updated my BB to the ipad baseband. Now i cannot even get iTunes to restore my iPhone as there is an error 1005 (i think) by iTunes. I am completely lost. Please help.

Download the custom 4.2.1 IPSW for your iP3G from here http://bit.ly/k1DeYH & then restore to it in a pwned DFU mode. That’s it.

RyVi2 years, 11 months ago

My Iphone 3G shud be with version 3.1.3. Please help me to get out from the Recovery Mode without anything lose? Appreciate much to learn from u how to do this ^^

Try iReb’s recovery loop fixer. Download it from iH8sn0w’s website.

Anto3 years, 2 months ago

Hi.. i hope this will be helpful for ppl who stuck on jailbroken 4.2.1 recovery mode and when the 4.3 or later ios is out. Tinyumberla will not get you out. Restoring 4.2.1 custom firmware with Tinyumberla on or off.. will not help. i tried for 5 hours and finally.. when my phone is connected with the pc. i put it into DFU mode with the usual procedure. then ran the greenpois0n.exe.. it tried jailbreaking mine. it finally took me out of recovery mode. just give a try. it will definitely work

That’s not right. FixRec42 uses the Greenpois0n exploit to kick the device out of the recovery loop. You will get the same screens, but minus the jailbreak portion. No, I’m not talking about the FixRecovery option within Tiny Umbrella, FixRec42 is the standalone package from notcom for recovery loop issues.

mona3 years, 4 months ago

ok i clicked “fix recovery”….. but my iphone is in black… i keep clicking the power button but my iphone wont open…. what do i do now?

Hold the Power+Menu button together for about 15 secs until you see the Apple logo. If not, re-jailbreak your iPhone using Redsn0wRC16. That should get you out of the DFU loop.

mona3 years, 4 months ago

ya kkk i did tht…. whats after? its stuck on the apple logo…

If you rely on an unlock, you’ll need to cook a Custom IPSW for your Restoration using Sn0wBreeze 2.7.3. You may follow this guide http://bit.ly/lujZTw to learn how to do so. Make sure you download the latest SB from the same post. Else you may restore your iPhone using the stock IPSW for iOS version 4.3.3, ONLY if you DON’T RELY on an UNLOCK.

mona3 years, 4 months ago

….wait what!? i didnt get any of what you said….. but if it helps…. my iphone is jalibroken and unlocked and i dont want to lose the jailbreak or unlock if possible

Your jailbreak & unlock will be back once you restore your iPhone to a custom IPSW. Download the latest SB & create a Custom IPSW for Restore using Sn0wBreeze 2.7.3. Follow this guide http://bit.ly/lujZTw to do so & restore via iTunes.

mona3 years, 4 months ago

can i just skip ALL those steps,… i clicked on “fix recovery” can’t i just now like some way get it to re-boot again….im only 14 i don’t know much about jailbreak and unlock… i just want a really simple way out of this

Believe me, you’ll find the easiest and simple-to use guides at Jaxov which can be easily followed by anyone. Tell me your iPhone details like iOS, BB & also tell me how did you get into the Recovery Loop/DFU in the first place.

mona3 years, 4 months ago

kk…. i dont know what IPSW is…. or what my baseband is……. this is how i got into recovery mode: my iphone was being messed, so i used a jailbroken app to restart my iphone but it got stuck with the lodaing loop so i pressed both the home and power button till my iphone shut down, but when i tried to open it but keep holding the power button till it opens agian, it didnt work…. so i went on the internt and searched how to get an iphone back to normal when its stuck… but i nvr read what it was going to, i just did the steps and i got into recovery mode…. :/

Did you try FixRecovery as well? You’ll need to download the FixRecovery for 4.2.1. Its available under the Download Links heading in this post itself. Go ahead and make use of it to see if its able to get you out. Just run the EXE file and make sure that you stay connected to the internet as well until the process completes. If in case it says that zlib.dll is missing, download the same from here.:)

mona3 years, 4 months ago

but i heard that it doesnt hacktivate my iphone…. does that mean if i run the process and my iphone works agian, the unlock is goin to be gone?? i need to keep my jailbreak and unlock!!!

No, give this a shot first, because in case you did a restore, all your personal files, apps & everything else will be erased from your iPhone completely. Right no, give FixRecovery a try to see if your able to atleast get the iPhone backup and running.

mona3 years, 4 months ago

i get this error when i try to download tinyumberlla “no JVM could be found on your system. please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from http://www.java.com

plzzzz help, how do i fix this error?

Savore3 years, 4 months ago

So I have an iPhone 3GS that’s currently a jailbroken 4.3.3 (jailbroken via redsn0w). I want to downgrade it to 3.1.3. I have everything figured out, except for the 1015 error.
    After the error notice comes up in iTunes informing me it’s encountered the 1015 error, my iPhone does not show “Plug into iTunes” with the cable like yours does. Mine is just a plain black screen. Nevertheless, I’ve tried your method many times and it hasn’t worked. In the TinyUmbrella log, it says it’s successful, but…my iPhone still sits with its black screen. I’ve searched everywhere on Google for a solution but it seems that everyone else’s iPhone shows that “Plug into iTunes” thing after the 1015 error. (Yes, I have both TinyUmbrella and iReb.)
    Please tell me I’m not doomed to 4.3.3 forever :/
    I would LOVE if you could help!

You failed to mention to me that your on an iPad BB. I’m guessing your using the stock iOS 3.1.3 IPSW to restore from iTunes. This is not possible for you because you have updated your BB and stock restores will not work for your iP3GS anymore. You can only follow Custom Restores from now on and even in the future as well whenever you update/downgrade. Download the Custom IPSW for 3.1.3 from here http://bit.ly/ivIkMg. Put your iPhone into Pwned DFU using iReb and follow the Restore. Everything should go smoothly.

Savore3 years, 4 months ago

Thank you for responding! I downloaded the custom iPhones 3GS 3.1.3 IPSW from that website, and I used it for my iPhone’s restore, but I still have the same problem. Blank black screen, and when I click Fix Recovery, nothing happens.
        Even if I try holding down the home and power button for long periods of time.

Does it even initiate the restore within iTunes? What progress is shown in iTunes?

Savore3 years, 4 months ago

It does initiate the restore in iTunes. It goes all the way through with the restore, and then at the end it says Error 1015. Even with the custom IPSW you’ve provided. And clicking “Fix Restore” does nothing; my iPhone stays with its black screen.

Ohkk, no wonder your stuck at the DFU screen. That was the reason. The IPSW doesn’t have the BB preservation mode enabled and so the 1015.

Savore3 years, 4 months ago

So…any way to make my iPhone 3.1.3 again? :/

Definitely you can. Download SnowBreeze 2.0.2 which supports iOS 3.1.3 from here http://bit.ly/ihCVIg & create your custom IPSW with the stock IPSW. You’ll need to put you iPhone into Pwned DFU as usual.Good Luck.

Savore3 years, 4 months ago

When it restores not in DFU mode (completely turned on), I get a 1604 error. When it is in DFU mode, it’s a 1646 error.

Are you sure you have followed the steps as mentioned in the post? Did you put your iPhone in “Pwned DFU” mode because a simple DFU will not work here.

Savore3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, that’s what I meant by DFU mode. Still a black screen :/

Error 1604 happens to occur when there is something wrong with the USB cable/port that your using to Restore the device. Why don’t you try to restore from your friends computer to see if the problem persists. Try a different USB port/ dock charger cable as well. If the USB part fails, try this

1. Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it’s not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
            2. Restore and wait for error 1604.
            3. When prompted, click OK.
            4. Close and reopen iTunes while iPhone remains connected.
            5. iPhone should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
            6. Try to restore again.

Good Luck. :)

Savore3 years, 4 months ago

Mmm…I’ve tried everything, and restored a trillion times. Thank you so much for your help, I guess I’m stuck in 4.3.3… :/

nbjorkman3 years, 5 months ago

I had my iphone 4 jailbroken and tried to restore it. iTunes gives me an error saying the device isn’t eligible for the requested build. Now it is stuck in recovery mode with the apple logo. I’ve tried to use tinyunbrella to kick it out of recovery mode but it doesn’t work. I have also tried to use the fix recovery with tinyunbrella and that didn’t work either it just stays on the apple logo screen for hours.
    Any help would be awesome!

Can you tell me the complete name of IPSW file you are trying to restore?

nbjorkman3 years, 5 months ago

Its 4.3.3. I was trying to restore it so it was no longer jailbroken.

Make sure the file name is iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw and file size is 666 MB. Also confirm if the SHA1 hash matches to b2e221543f24a66209c70e8465d037fe22afeefa

Unknown3 years, 5 months ago

@wolverine.. youre just misleading people you dumb fck if you dnt know what youre doing dont even try to help..thanks to your tips my itouch is oficially broken.

to people about to attempt this procedure;

dont listen to the dumb fck pretending to be some ipod speacialist cause he aint gonna tell you crap.. just go to apples website for real,genuine,no bull$hit troubleshooting.

if you’re reading this wolverine i hope that you wont continue your bullshit on the other websites

Dude can you tell your iPod Touch model? Current firmware and issue? Really sorry if the above method didn’t work for you. Also note that your iPod is just fine, you will never brick an iDevice until there is HW fault. If you could tell me your iPod model and current firmware, i can help you out :)

JosQi3 years, 5 months ago

Dear Wolverine:
    would like to know how could i fix “runtime error R6034, attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.”

already put my phone in DFU mode.
    but when i click “FIX Recovery”.
    the erroe msg will pop out.

thank you.

sagar3 years, 6 months ago

please help..
    i had ios 4.2.1 firmware baseband 3.01. something like that..
    then i wipe data remotely through my other iphone.
    that iphone went stuck on apple logo.. so i decided to restore it with ios 4.2.1 again.. but failed.. error 3194, then i used tinyumbrella then restore again give 1604 error.. then i used ireb and it went black screen and itunes show recovery mode .. then i used custom ios 4.2.1 with snowbreeze and it restored successfully , but now i m stuck in black screen and itunes still show recovery mode..
    please solve this problem.. i will be so much thankful

Use TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery), http://bit.ly/f1adIc Remember to download the latest version of Fix Recovery tools updater Update#1.

sagar3 years, 6 months ago

THANKS FOR UR QUICK RESPONSE..
        I TRIED THIS ..
        USED TINYUMBRELLA 4.30.05, BUT IT DIDNT WORK …

sagar3 years, 6 months ago

AND BY THE WAY I DOWNLOADED FIX RECOVERY AT SEPERATE FILE “fixrecovery421.EXE” .. IT DID SOMETHING TO IPHONE AND SHOW SOME LOG ON SCREEN SAME AS WHEN I DID GREENPOISON JAILBREAK.. THEN RESTARTS THE PHONE AND AGAIN BLACK SCREEN AND STUCK IN RECOVERY MODE :(

Ok. Last solution, have you got iOS 4.2.1 SHSH blobs saved? If yes then restore stock iOS 4.2.1 IPSW using this guide http://bit.ly/ikAKG2 (And yes, as you are restoring stock IPSW, you do not need to use iREB)

Adrian3 years, 6 months ago

I have same problem, me bb now is 6.15 and i try restore ,fixrecovery and nothing still blackscreen .

It is because you are restored stock IPSW on iPad baseband. Those who restored (or tried to restore) stock IPSW go in infinite recovery mode loop. To fix this issue, you should restore custom IPSW.

Remember: Once your iPhone have iPad baseband, you can never restore stock IPSW. Always use custom IPSW made with Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.

Fireburst3 years, 6 months ago

Yes I also have the same problem, and on the log it says recovery has finished allow device to reboot…but my phone only has a black screen…should I attempt to reboot it?

Fireburst3 years, 6 months ago

I attempted to reboot it myself, and it just went back to recovery mode.

Are you running iPad baseband? Whats your basebands?

forrester3 years, 6 months ago

i just saw a post from “Deano” and had the same results….
    please can some one help as my i phone 3g has been on the computer at least 2hrs
    with a black screen…this is the only place i have found also i would like to do this without having to wipe my phone as i am not at home…:-(

Tell me the log/screenshot of TU (FixRecovery)?

Deano3 years, 7 months ago

Hi, really need some help please!! Right I’m not a complete noob as I’ve done some JBing and stuff before but whats happened to me now is new to me and I’m panicking :-(
    My device is iPhone 4G was running 4.1 iOS but I have done the save SHSH blobs with TU and then updated/restored to 4.2.1 and as expected I got the recovery mode loop. So as it says I downloaded the fix recovery file, ran the file which scrolled 100’s of 1000’s of small text on the iPhone screen, then it finishes but leaves the text on the iPhone screen not sure if that’s normal?
    I then put the iPhone into DFU mode and clicked Fix Recovery……… BUT it just sits there for over an hour now with a totally black screen I cant switch it off on anything :-\ And if I unplug it from the PC, the PC makes the disconnection tone and the tone if I reconnect the iPhone to the PC but still nothing just a black screen!!
    PLEASE ANY HELP ANYONE! Thank you

Have you tried to restore stock or custom iOS 4.1 IPSW back to your iP4?

Faith3 years, 7 months ago

Help! i am trying to unlock my 3gs on 4.3 with bb 05.16.01, i followed the instruction trying to downgrade the devise to 4.2.1. Error 1015 pops up and i supposed it means i succeed (?) but now the phone is stuck in recovery mode loop.. tried to download the fixrecovery from the link above but then it keeps saying that a dll file is missing.. please help! thanks a lot.

Download zlib1.dll from here and place it in same directory in which fixrecovery421.exe is present.

TechJEdi3 years, 7 months ago

The file you want is installed with iTunes and located here:
      “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\zlib1.dll”