If for some reason iHsn0w's iBooty 2.0 is not working for you, you can always use TetheredBoot Utility created by Msft.Guy (@msft_guy) to boot your iDevice into tethered jailbroken state. Unlike iBooty 2.0, TetheredBoot Utility is available for both Windows and Mac OS X. However this guide is applicable to Windows users only.
To use TetheredBoot Utility, you must have two files which are different for every iDevice. One is called iBSS file and the other is Kernel Cache file. There are two ways to get each of them:
- Rename the custom IPSW (.IPSW to .ZIP) which you have restored on your iDevice for tethered jailbreak. Extract it on your desktop. You can find Kernel Cache file in the root of extracted folder while iBSS file can be found by navigating to \Firmware\dfu directory.
- Download iBSS and Kernel Cache file for your iDevice from the links below:
Download iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n90 for iPhone 4
Download iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n88 for iPhone 3GS
Download iBSS.n81ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n81 for iPod Touch 4G
Download iBSS.n18ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.n18 for iPod Touch 3G
Download iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu & kernelcache.release.k48 for iPad
Before using the TetheredBoot Utility command, you need to put your iDevice in DFU mode. Use the following instructions to put your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad in DFU mode:
- Turn off your iPhone completely.
- Press and hold the Home+Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- Your iDevice is now DFU mode.
Download latest Tetheredboot.exe for Windows from here. Place Tetheredboot.exe, iBSS file and Kernel Cache in the root of your C:\> drive. Open Command Prompt window and navigate to the root of your C:\> drive. Now type the command in the following order:
In the above screenshot, i am trying to boot my iPhone 4 into tethered jailbroken state. Your can use the same command to boot your iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G or iPad into jailbroken state but always use the iBSS and Kernel Cache file specified for your iDevice.