Couple of weeks ago, we shared a tutorial to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad using Redsn0w 0.9.6 but many users reported that they are still unable to jailbreak their iDevice as Redsn0w freezes and then crashes at 'Uploading ramdisk' step during the jailbreak process. I have found an easy workaround for this problem which worked for many users and i hope this will work for you as well if you are facing the similar issue.
This fix should for work for the following Redsn0w errors:
- Redsn0w freezes at 'Uploading ramdisk' step
- 'Redsn0w.exe has stopped working' error in Windows 7 or Vista
- Redsn0w crashes when iPhone screen displays 'Downloading Jailbreak Data'
In order to solve this issue, you need to run Redsn0w as an administrator in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and set the Redsn0w process affinity to CPU 1 through 'Task Manager'. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on Redsn0w.exe and choose 'Properties' from the context-menu.
- Switch to 'Compatibility' tab and choose 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' as the compatibility option. Click OK button to close the 'Properties' window.
- Again right-click on Redsn0w.exe and choose 'Run as administrator' from the context-menu.
- Launch 'Task Manager' by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and switch to 'Processes' tab.
- Right-click on 'redsn0w.exe' and choose 'Set Affinity...' as sown in the screenshot below:
- Set 'Process Affinity' to CPU 1 only.
- Click OK to close the window and proceed to the on-screen jailbreak instructions. Hopefully, Redsn0w will not freeze on 'Uploading ramdisk' step now.