Put Your iPhone 2G/3G in DFU Mode Without Home/Power Button with LAST DFU

iPhoDroid team has developed the first ever software than can put your iPhone into DFU mode with a single click. The name of this software is LAST DFU and it can put your iPhone into DFU mode without pressing the Power or Home button. The release is still beta and is valid for iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G users only at the moment. 'LAST DFU' is very useful software for those who have faulty 'Home' or 'Power' button on their iPhones.

Just like RecBoot, the UI of 'LAST DFU' consists of only two buttons i-e 'Enter DFU Mode' and 'Exit DFU Mode'. Just connect your iPhone 2G or iPhone 3G to your Mac via USB cable and hit the 'Enter DFU Mode' button to put your iPhone into DFU mode and 'Exit DFU Mode' button to kick your iPhone out of recovery mode.
iPhoDroid Last DFU Put Your iPhone 2G/3G in DFU Mode Without Home/Power Button with LAST DFU
Note that if you are on Mac OS X 10.5 (or less), 'LAST DFU' will only work if your iPhone 2G or iPhone 3G is running iOS 4.0.2 or earlier. If you have Mac OS X 10.6 (or above), this release will work with all iOS versions. Developers of 'LAST DFU'.
LAST DFU Entring DFU Mode Put Your iPhone 2G/3G in DFU Mode Without Home/Power Button with LAST DFU
I have tested this software on my iPhone 2G and 3G and it seems to be working very well. I also tried to put my iPhone 4 into DFU mode using 'LAST DFU' but i ended up in an infinite recovery mode loop and had to restore my iPhone to get it working again. So i won't recommend you to use it on any other iDevices except iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G. As soon as 'LAST DFU' will support any other iDevices, i will post an update to this post. So stay tuned!

Download Links:

Download Last DFU from official iPhoDroid website
Download Last DFU for iPhone 2G [Direct Link for Mac] | Mirror
Download Last DFU for iPhone 3G [Direct Link for Mac] | Mirror

Rishab1 year, 5 months ago

i have iphone 4.Stuck in soft DFU mode :(plz help

Hector3 years, 3 months ago

My power button isn’t working so I tried using LAST DFU to try to get my unlocked/jailbroken iphone 3gs into dfu mode but it keeps on ending up in recovery mode. I also tried the True Hardware DFU Mode Automatically steps you gave me but iTunes gives me “firmware file not compatible” I would like my iphone to be restored to iOS 4.2.1. Any suggestions?

This method works only for the early versions of the iOS & not anymore on the latest versions.

lyricz3 years, 4 months ago

my iphone is stuck at the boot logo and will not enter dfu mode what should i do someone plzz help me.

hako3 years, 6 months ago

how to put iphone 4 i DFU mode without power button ? plzz

dainius3 years, 6 months ago

Hey,

I get the same thing, recovery mode and not DFU mode. I tried the other method of modding the firmware files, also no luck. The webpage for iPhoDroid says that it won’t go into DFU unless the device is already jailbroken.

Do you remember the old resnow, tethered, jailbreak? It was all with terminal commands. If we could find that, ppl like me with broken buttons would be saved.

Patrick3 years, 5 months ago

Follow steps under Enter True Hardware DFU Mode Automatically heading here http://bit.ly/hZdfIX

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Oy,

Tried that, too, but when I option-click restore, iTunes tells me that it’s not a valid ipsw file. Should I put it in recovery mode?

Cheers,

-D

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

I confirm:

(OS X)

1. changed ipsw to .zip
          2. decompressed file
          3. found the file to edit
          4. used Hex Fiend to change a number
          5. zipped the folder
          6. changed the .zip to .ipsw
          7. got a “the iPhone could not be restored because the firmware is not compatible” error right away.

Suggestions?

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Ok, so I’m getting into DFU by having the device off, pressing power and home for 10, then home until DFU–works better than the power for three, home & power for 10, and then home until DFU. However, keep getting errors trying to restore to my patched 4.2.1 ipsw (baseband 6.15) and redsn0w won’t reboot my device.

*sighs*

fml.

The iOS still seems to not support the iDevice to which your trying to restore. Could tell me what your iOS & BaseBand details are?

Confirm first that the custom IPSW created is for the same iPhone/iPod and that the iOS version also supports the same.

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Here are my confirmed details:

(OS X 10.6.7 PB, with windows XP Black Edition through parallels)

1. iPhone 3G 8gb, model# MB629C, with 4.2.1 installed with 5.15.04 basebaband
            2. PwnageTool 4.1.3 / Redsn0w 9.6b5
            3. iPhone 3G ipsw iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore*
            4. iPad iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore for 6.15 baseband
            5. Recboot for those pesky recovery mode situations
            6. iReb to try and overcome the 16xx errors, used in XP

* The checksums of the ipsw’s don’t match the ones posted on the iphone wiki page. However, when I re-download from the links provided on the iphone wiki page and run md5 on them, I get the same (wrong) checksums.

Issues and general history:

•Bought an old iPhone 3G 8gb of buddy, whose wife, unfortunately, restored it and upgraded the baseband literally minutes before I arrived to pick it up.
            •iPhone had never been pwned before
            •Having never struggled to get an iDevice into DFU mode before, I struggled for about half a day before successfully following redsn0w 9.6rc16 “go directly into DFU” steps on xp
            •installed Whited00r, unlocked edition, on the device.
            •realized that the unlocked edition obviously wouldn’t unlock baseband 5.15.04, so wasted another half day getting into DFU to put whited00r, normal edition on (I don’t need an unlock for my home sim, have the same carrier, but would like to unlock the device for my travels)

here’s where the fun starts:

• decided I wanted to unlock the phone for my travels, so downloaded both the correct version of redsn0w and pwnage tool
            • redsn0w, when I succeeded getting into DFU mode and had selected to install the 6.15 baseband would get stuck in the install loop. Neither unplugging the iphone from the cable, the cable from the computer, nor switching which USB port I had plugged in, no uninstalling iTunes and rebooting twice before re-installing, works.
            • Turn to PwnageTool, make an ipsw with the iPad baseband.
            • Can’t get into DFU through pwnage tool’s timing
            • Can only get into DFU by doing it by my clock, iPhone off, power & home for 10, release power, home until DFU, with screen staying black the whole time
            • Get into dfu, but no matter if I run iReb or not, either get stuck at preparing iphone for restore, or an immediate 1600 error, after which I can’t even manually restore to a clean ipsw–only actually clicking restore will reformat the device.

More fun:
            • So I decide to take a step back, see if I can downgrade and jailbreak an earlier OS
            • Manage, surprisingly, to go into DFU and downgrade to 3.1.3
            • Use Spirit to Jailbreak
            • However, even with spirit JB on 3.1.3, iTunes won’t accept a custom ipsw, and continues giving me the 1600 error.

Back on 4.2.1 now and standing by for some advice.

I think that covers all the questions you might ask? And no, I don’t have another computer to try it on, as I know that sometimes just another USB port could do the trick.

-D

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Addendum:

re: “True Hardware DFU,” I get told the the iPhone cannot be restored because the firmware is not compatible. I know it’s a lot for a random to ask you, but could you host/post a ‘working’ ipsw for the true hardware dfu?

Atm, I’m replacing the files as per the directions, compressing using archive, and then renaming to .ipsw. I also experimented with compressing using a ‘clean’ compressor, that would ensure that the .zip didn’t have any macos relics in the directories when in zipped. No luck either way.

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Further addendum:

looks like xpwn might be the way to go, but because it seems to be so old, I’m having a hard time finding good instructions/a binary for it/nicely-packaged code for me to compile.

In truth, I’m surprised we don’t have more command-line jailbreakers around…

for your consideration,

-D

Wowo Dainius, That was a lot of detailed explanation over there bro. Guess you really want to get out of this mess eh? :) Sure, no problems, we are here to help you with your troubles, :). So instead of using the old & outdated procedures like whited00r & Xpwn, why don’t we follow cooking up a custom IPSW via PwnageTool 4.1.3? This method is the best way to get you onto your desired iOS along with the iPad BB as well. So what I would suggest you to do is:

1. Cook your custom IPSW using PT 4.1.3 with iPad BB addition.
            2. Shift+Restore the same from iTunes.
            3. Voila, everything should work great now.

Good Luck. :)

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Alt-restore on the mac results in an infinite ‘preparing iphone’ before failing, and when I try in DFU mode, get error 1600. Hence my need for xpwn.

Dainius, I would suggest you to try to re-install iTunes to get you working on the Alt+Restore. Because according to us, the best way to go about JB your iPhone 3g is the method suggested. Start from a fresh IPSW and cook it via PT 4.1.3. Then put the phone in Pwned DFU via iREB (To skip the 16xx error you mentioned). Xpwn need not be used as its quite ancient and will not be able to give you a solid JB & unlock without issues.

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Pramod,

Bizarrely, this time, PwnageTool 4.1.3 worked. However, this leads me to wonder if the DFU methods vary. The reason I ask is because I use the “iDevice off, hold power and home for 10, release power, hold home, and voila” – whereas the method in PwnageTool is to have the iDevice on already.

Weird.

Nevertheless, I would still like to ‘get good’ with xpwn, because I probably spent 24 hrs getting this thing to work…

Gr8. You got PT working good. And yes, the DFU varies from the one you did. The one you followed is the normal DFU. The other one which PT wants you to be in is called a Pwned DFU mode. A special mode which will get you through any restore/downgrade without any errors at all. When your device is in DFU (Like I guess its in right now),

Run redsn0wRC16, Choose only “Pwned DFU Mode” option from the Options Page and Hit Next. You’ll get a confirmation that you’ll now be able to restore Custom IPSW’s. Once its complete, go ahead and Alt+Restore from iTunes. Let me know how it goes. :)

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

Interesting–hopefully someone will read this post and be helped out.

I was getting into DFU mode through the aforementioned iDevice off, power + home for 10, then home until DFU. That didn’t work.

I then used redsn0w 9.6rc16, used *my* DFU mode trick, and it *seemed* to trigger the right response from redsn0w, said that I had entered pwned DFU mode. However, I was still getting the errors. This was my mistake.

Finally, I sat and tried to enter DFU through redsn0w using *their* method. FML, it took forever to get the timing right. I just sat here for 45 minutes doing it over and over again until I got it. For those having trouble with timing, try these steps:

1. Get to the screen right before they walk you through DFU mode, where they tell you to make sure your iDevice is off.

2. Be ready to press and hold the power button, preferably with your nail or something to ensure that it is firmly depressed and won’t be un-depressed by your squishy fingers.

3. Click next and press the power button *at the same time*. It sounds stupid but it will make a difference.

4. Press the home button when they tell you to and keep holding. At around 4 seconds left, the iDevice will turn off. Keep holding the home and power as per the instructions.

5. Their count for when to release the power button is off by a split second. I found that if I followed their directions exactly, I’d just end up with a shut-off device. Hold the power button for a split second longer, and you will more consistently end up getting the desired DFU mode.

Wow, 24+ hours of my life spent trying everything ;p Hope this helps!

Thanks Dainius for the “How to put your device into DFU mode” tutorial explained well in detail. It would definitely be of good help for others. Glad to know it worked out for you. Good luck. :)

Dainius3 years, 5 months ago

FYI,

latest (beta) Whited00r lets an iPhone 3G run iOS 4.3.2 quite well, vs. the max 4.2.1 officially allowed.

Whited00r actually is for the sole purpose of running iOS 4.2.1 smoothly on the iPhone 3G since the the stock coughs up 3G to its death. :)

Terence3 years, 6 months ago

It’s entering recovery mode, not DFU mode. I am running OSX 10.6.6 and iPhone 3G 4.2.1.

Please help, I have a broken power button so I can’t enter DFU normal way.

If for some reason LAST DFU is not working, see the alternative method here http://bit.ly/hZdfIX under Enter True Hardware DFU Mode Automatically heading.