An iPhone hacker named Nadeem Ateyeh (@Nadeem97) has just released PwnageTool bundles for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS which can jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 untethered on both of the said devices without upgrading their baseband version. After jailbreaking iPhone 3Gs with PwnageTool, you will be able to unlock it with the latest version of Ultrasn0w available.
For those who don't know, PwnageTool allows you to jailbreak your iPhone so that you can preserve its baseband and later unlock it with Ultrasn0w tool. PwnageTool is only available for Mac OS X, so if you don't own a Mac, you should wait for Sn0wbreeze tool which is a PwnageTool port on Windows. The latest version of Ultrasn0w can unlock 01.59.00 baseband on iPhone 4 and 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01 & 05.13.04 baseband on iPhone 3GS.
Steps to Patch PwnageTool 4.1.3 with iPhone 4, 3GS iOS 4.2.1 Bundles:
- Download and install iTunes 10.1.2 from here
- Download PwnageTool 4.1.3 from here
- Download iOS 4.2.1 PwnageTool bundles for iPhone 4 & 3GS from here
- Download iOS 4.2.1 firmware for iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS from here
- Create an empty directory on your desktop and rename it PwnageTool 4.1.3
- Place PwnageTool, iOS 4.2.1 firmware file and PwnageTool bundle file in the directory you created in step 5.
- Right-click on PwnageTool app, choose Show Package Contents and navigate to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/
- Copy or drag iOS 4.2.1 bundle files (iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148.bundle & iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a.bundle) in FirmwareBundles directory as shown in the screenshot below:
- Now navigate to Contents/Resources/CustomPackages/ and right-click on CydiaInstaller.bundle and choose Show Package Contents.
- Copy or drag the Info.plist file to CydiaInstaller.bundle and if it asks you to replace the already present Info.plist file, click on the Replace button.
- Close all the opened windows and proceed to the steps below to create iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW for your iPhone.
iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 Firmware File: iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore
iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 PwnageTool Bundle: iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148.bundle
iPhone 3GS iOS 4.2.1 Firmware File: iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore
iPhone 3GS iOS 4.2.1 PwnageTool Bundle: iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a.bundle
Steps to Create iOS 4.2.1 Custom IPSW for iPhone 4, 3GS:
- Launch PwnageTool, click on the Expert mode, select iPhone 3GS, 3G, 4 from the displayed options and click Next button to continue.
- PwnageTool will automatically detect the iOS 4.2.1 IPSWs that are available in the same directory. In case PwnageTool fails to detect the iOS 4.2.1 ISPW for your iPhone, you can click the Browse button and select the firmware file manually.
- Click on the General tab followed by a click on the Next button.
- Uncheck 'Activate the phone' option if you are on official carrier like AT&T. If you do not have official carrier SIM, keep 'Activate the phone' option checked and click on the Next button.
- In the Download packages tab, first hit the Refresh button and double-click on the Cydia Installer to download Cydia.
- Switch to Select packages tab and choose Cydia Installer from the list. Hit the Next button to continue.
- Click on the Build tab and hit the Next button.
- PwnageTool will prompt you for the custom IPSW name as well as save location. Choose Desktop as the save location and click on the Save button.
- Wait while PwnageTool cooks iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW file for your iPhone. I may take a while, so be patient.
- During the creation of custom IPSW of iOS 4.2.1, PwnageTool might prompt you to enter your Administrator password.
- Once PwnageTool has successfully created the custom IPSW of iOS 4.2.1 for your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your Mac through USB cable and hold down the Power and Home button simultaneously for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the Home button until PwnageTool detects your iPhone in DFU mode.
- Close the PwnageTool and follow the instructions below to restore iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW on your iPhone. Make sure iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW is present on your desktop.
iPhone 4: iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore
iPhone 3GS: iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Custom_Restore
Steps to Restore iOS 4.2.1 Custom IPSW on iPhone 4, 3GS:
Once you have successfully created the iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW through PwnageTool and your iPhone is in DFU mode, launch iTunes and click on the name of the device from the side panel to view the summary page.
Now you will see two buttons, Check for Updates and Restore. Hold down the ALT key (SHIFT for Windows) and click on the Restore button to browse for iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW file you just created with the patched version of PwnageTool 4.1.3
Above image is for illustration purpose only
Now wait until iTunes restores the custom cooked iOS 4.2.1 IPSW on your iPhone. Once done, enjoy your fully untethered jailbroken iPhone on iOS 4.2.1. Now that you have preserved your baseband using PwnageTool, you can unlock your iPhone using the latest version of Ultrasn0w tool. Click here for step-by-step instructions to unlock your iPhone with Ultrasn0w 1.2.
Update#1: Now Use TinyUmbrella to Upgrade iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 4 While Preserving 01.59.00 Baseband [Valid for both Windows and Mac]
Update#2: Download official PwnageTool 4.2 for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak on Mac
Update#3: Download Sn0wbreeze 2.2 for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak on Windows
Download iTunes 10.1.2 for Windows and Mac OS X
Download PwnageTool 4.1.3
Download iOS 4.2.1 PwnageTool bundles for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS
Download iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad