iPhone Dev-Team has just released PwnageTool 4.2 for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak on iPhone 4/3GS/3G, Verizon iPhone, iPod Touch 4G/3G, iPad and Apple TV 2G. With PwnageTool 4.2, you can create iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW on Mac OS X for your iPhone, which on restore via iTunes will jailbreak it while preserving its baseband.
PwnageTool 4.2 comes with a fix for all iBooks and Wifi related issues. If you have already jailbroken your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad with GreenPois0n tool, you do not need to re-jailbreak your iDevice with PwnageTool 4.2 as these fixes will be available to you via Cydia update packages.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on Mac With PwnageTool 4.2:
*Find the download links at the bottom of this post
- *Download iTunes 10.1.2 for Mac OS X
- *Download iOS 4.2.1 firmware file for your iDevice.
- *Download PwnageTool 4.2
- Create a new folder on your desktop i-e iOS 4.2.1
- Put iOS 4.2.1 firmware file and PwnageTool 4.2 in the directory you created in step 4.
- Launch PwnageTool and click 'OK' button to discard the disclaimer message.
- Choose 'Expert Mode' from the top and select your iDevice type from the available options. As i want to jailbreak my iPhone 4 on iOS 4.2.1, so i will be choosing the first option i-e 'iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4'. After choosing 'Expert Mode' and selecting your iDevice, click on the 'Next' button.
- Now PwnageTool will detect iOS 4.2.1 IPSW(s) available in the directory automatically. If the firmware file for your iDevice is not automatically detected, click on the 'Browse for IPSW...' button to choose it manually and click on the 'Next' button.
- Select the 'General' tab and click on the 'Next' button.
- If you rely on unlock and do not have an official contract SIM card, just keep the 'Activate the iPhone' option checked and click on 'Next' button. If you have a legitimate official carrier SIM card, simply un-check 'Activate the iPhone' option. All other check-boxes are optional and some features are disabled as they are natively available on that iDevice in iOS 4.2.1.
- In the 'Download packages' tab, first hit the 'Refresh' button and then double-click on the 'OpenSSH' to download the package.
- Click on the 'Select packages' tab and make sure 'OpenSSH' is checked. Click on the 'Next' button to continue.
- Click on the 'Build' button and click on 'Next' button.
- PwnageTool will prompt you for the location to save iOS 4.2.1 IPSW. Choose 'Desktop' and click on the 'Save' button.
- Now wait while PwnageTool creates iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW for your iPhone.
- During the creation of custom IPSW of iOS 4.2.1, PwnageTool might prompt you to enter your Administrator password.
- Once PwnageTool has created iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW for your iPhone, use the following instructions to put it in DFU mode.
- Turn off your iPhone completely
- Press and hold the 'Home'+'Power' button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the 'Power' button but keep holding the 'Home' button until Sn0wbreeze detects your iPhone in DFU mode.
iPhone 4: iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore
iPhone 3GS: iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Custom_Restore
iPhone 3G: iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore
iPod Touch 4G: iPod2,1_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 3G: iPod3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 2G: iPod4,1_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore.ipsw
Steps to Restore iOS 4.2.1 Custom IPSW Though iTunes:
Once you have successfully created the iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW through PwnageTool 4.2 and your iPhone is in DFU mode, launch iTunes and click on the name of the device from the side-panel to view the summary page.
Now you will see two buttons, Check for Updates and Restore. Hold down the ALT key (SHIFT for Windows) and click on the Restore button to browse for iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW file you just created with the PwnageTool 4.2.
Above image is for illustration purpose only
Now wait until iTunes restores the custom cooked iOS 4.2.1 IPSW on your iPhone. Once done, enjoy your fully untethered jailbroken iPhone on iOS 4.2.1. Now that you have preserved your baseband using PwnageTool, you can unlock your iPhone using the latest version of Ultrasn0w tool. Click here for step-by-step instructions to unlock your iPhone with Ultrasn0w 1.2.