How to Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on Nexus S? [Complete Step-by-Step Guide]

Here is a simple step-by-step guide to root Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) on Samsung Nexus S. If you still haven't received Android 2.3.3 OTA update, you can use this tutorial to update your Nexus S to Android 2.3.3 manually. Please note that the process below might wipe all of your data on your phone as well on external storage, so do backup all of your date before using the guide below.

Android 2.3.3 Nexus S Root

Step to Install ADB and Fastboot on Windows 7/Vista/XP:

1. Download Android 2.3.3 SDK installer for Windows from here (Direct Link)
  2. Download and install Java SE Development Kit for Windows from here
  3. Install Android 2.3.3 SDK on Windows using the default preferences.
  4. When the SDK installation completes, open SDK Manager from the Start menu and choose Available packages from the side-panel. Under the Packages available for download panel, choose the following:
  5. Google USB Driver Package, revision 4

Galaxy TAB by Samsung Electronics., Android API 8, revision 1

Android SDK and AVD Manager

6. Click on Install Selected button to download and install the selected packages.
  7. Once installed, you will find the tools and platform-tools directory at the following location:
  8. If you have 64-bit Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk

Android-SDK in Windows 7
    If you have 32-bit Windows:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk

9. To set the Path variable in Windows, go to RUN and type sysdm.cpl. Hit OK to open System Properties Window.
  10. Windows 7 RUN

11. Now navigate to Advanced (Tab) > Environment Variables (Button) > System variables (Section) > Path (Variable) > Edit (Button) > Variable value. When the Edit System Variable window pops up, type in the following values at the end of the Variable value text-field:
  12. If 64-bit Windows:

;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools

Windows - System Properties
    If 32-bit Windows:

;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools

13. To test that you have set the correct Path variables, open Command Prompt, type adb or fastboot and press the enter key.

Steps to Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on Nexus S:

1. Connect your Nexus S to the computer via USB cable.
  2. Navigate to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and select USB debugging from the menu.
  3. Open Command Prompt on Windows (Terminal on Mac) and type the following command to confirm if your device is connected via USB cable or not.
  4. fastboot devices

5. If fastboot is showing your device as connected, use the following command to unlock the bootloader of your Nexus S.
  6. fastboot oem unlock

7. Download ClockworkMod Recovory image for Nexus S from here (Direct Link)
  8. Place the ClockworkMod Recovory image file (.IMG) in android-sdk > tools directory and use the following command at Command Prompt:
  9. *Make sure to navigate to C: > Program Files > Android > android-sdk > tools directory before executing the commands below:

fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

10. Hit the Return key and wait for recovery to boot. Once you are in Recovery, use the VOLUME UP & DOWN keys to highlight a selection and press the Power button to select it.
  11. Choose mounts and storage option and then choose mount USB storage option. As soon as you will choose mount USB storage, Windows will detect your phone as a USB storage.
  12. Download Superuser zip file (su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip) for Nexus S from here and copy it to the root directory of the internal storage of your Nexus S.
  13. Once copied, choose unmount USB storage on your phone and then choose mount /system option.
  14. Choose +++++Go Back+++++ option.
  15. Choose install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard option.
  16. Choose su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip and click YES to root your phone.

At this stage, you have successfully rooted your Nexus S on Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread but your phone will continue to replace ClockworkMod Recovery on reboot. To prevent your phone from doing so, follow the steps below:

1. Reboot your Nexus S
  2. Download and install Root Explorer app from Android Market
  3. Open Root Explorer and navigate to etc directory
  4. Tap on the gray box that says Mount R/W
  5. Tap and hold on the file install-recovery.sh and rename this file to install-recovery.sh.old
  6. Once renamed, download and install the app called ROM Manager from Android Market
  7. Once installed, open ROM Manager app and choose Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option.

Thats it! Now you should have fully rooted Nexus S on Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it. [via XDA-Developers]

Update#1: Use Superboot to Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on Nexus S [How-To]

Tariq Mohammed5 years, 4 months ago

Amir… How to do this step?

fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

WHAT EXEACTLY TO TYPE IN DOS??

Mike5 years, 4 months ago

This is frustrating. I’m trying to root my Nexus S (non-4G), trying to follow these instructions. I get stuck at step 3 (the fastboot devices command won’t recognize my phone). When I enable USB debugging, I get a popup that says my Nexus S USB drivers are not installed, and that Windows can’t locate the drivers. I’m assuming this is why fastboot devices doesn’t work, but what is the fix? I’m aware of the oneclick root for the NS4G, but I want to use a method specific to the 3G version (i9020a). Please help me out.

MC5 years, 5 months ago

Have any updates on how to root Xperia Neo MT15i with Gingerbread 2.3.3? Would appreciate your expertise.

jared5 years, 5 months ago

This work for Evo? Maybe? Lol would be sweet

anbu5 years, 5 months ago

can tis rooting method s used for rooing HTC desire s (2.3.3) ?

Steve5 years, 5 months ago

Can this be used on a Sprint EVO 4G Android version 2.3.3?

K@ng20115 years, 6 months ago

One-Click Root for NS4G 2.3.4

mike5 years, 6 months ago

Incomplete instructions, very frustrating.

Entering “fastboot devices” in the command line does nothing. Taking a look in the comments, the author points out there is a step missing. Why is the main tut not updated with this info? The step missing is this:

“Hold down the Volume Up + Power key simultaneously to put your phone in standard recovery.”

Again, this info seems unnecessarily ambiguous. Holding these buttons seems to put the phone onto “Fastboot mode”, not “standard recovery”. To put the phone in standard recovery, the “Recovery” option should be selected.

The point is moot though – either methods still don’t bloody work.

K@ng20115 years, 6 months ago

I feel your frustration, thats why the following one-click root method was developed for NS4G http://bit.ly/lpFInf

Raeef5 years, 6 months ago

I rooted my phone on 2.3.4 for the first time following this method

Now I can’t move most of the apps from the phone to USB storage, what might be the problem ?

Mike5 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for this, I’ve gotten to the point of mounting the phone as USB storage while in recovery to move SU onto the memory. However, it seems like it will not mount or is taking an extremely long time to do so. Anything possibly going wrong?

K@ng20115 years, 6 months ago

Its your windows directory path, but dont worry about a one-click root was developed today for 2.3.4 http://bit.ly/lpFInf

Marius5 years, 7 months ago

Great. Succesful work on Android 2.3.4 first time !

Mike5 years, 7 months ago

Is there a way to root it without downloading the Root Explorer app? Its paid…

…but I still want to have a way to rename the file. Is there an alternative to this?

Thanks.

Go to 4shared.com and search Root Explorer APK

Will5 years, 7 months ago

I need help here… I followed the steps 1-13…. i hit reboot phone and now my phone seems stuck on the google logo with the unlock symbol. How long is this supposed to be in this mode i’ve been waiting 10 minutes

Jonny B5 years, 7 months ago

Works great on Nexus S 2.3.4. Unlocking bootloader erases ALL data (even SD Card). Backup sd prior.

pranav5 years, 7 months ago

Thanks mate worked great on nexus one updated ginderbread 2.3.4

pranav5 years, 7 months ago

Will this still work on nexus one 2.3.4?

It should work but you must unlock the bootloader which will void your warranty.

Graham5 years, 7 months ago

Will this work on 2.3.4? I just flashed it on my ns last week, unrooted.

pranav5 years, 7 months ago

hi there can i use the same process for the nexus one (i know that u said yes but i was a bit confused) do i just need the recovery image for nexus one ? or a different superuser.zip or apk as well for the nexus one sorry but can u tell me what changes shall i make please
    thanks

Jimmypop5 years, 8 months ago

When I start the SDK manager it wants me to download and install all kinds of stuff before I can get to the available tab. (stuff like android 3.0 API 11) Should I? or can I skip it without any problems?

analternative5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for a greeeat post! I rooted my Nexus S 2.3.2 without unlocking the bootloader, thereby keeping all my data. However, yesterday I installed the 2.3.3 update and lost root. Of course, I want to root again. Following the same guide (not in english), using “fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img” fastboot prompts me to unlock the bootloader.

1. Do you know a way of rooting 2.3.3 without loosing all the data?
    2. If you don’t, which data is erased when using “fastboot oem unlock”? Everything on the SD-card, or everything as in _everything_? I want to keep my Angry Birds savings :D, my applications and their settings.

Yosua5 years, 9 months ago

Standard recovery or bootloader ?

I turned off my phone and do the combo key, i still can’t see my nexus s from “fastboot device”. or do i need to go into recovery 1st ?

thx

It should go in fastboot mode by pressing Power+Volume Up key.

Yosua5 years, 9 months ago

hi, i’m a bit lost in step 3.. when i check fastboot devices, my nexus s is not listed. any idea ?

Hold down the Volume Up + Power key simultaneously to put your phone in standard recovery. Sorry, i missed that step. Also there is no need to use this guide, just use Superboot now.

diallo5 years, 8 months ago

Hey,
        i folloewd your link to use fastboot.
        but i can pass the step 5 when trying to unlock the bootloader.
        “Open Command Prompt on Windows (Terminal on Mac) and type the following command to confirm if your device is connected via USB cable or not.
        fastboot devices”

when i type fastboot devices, my device is not listed and i am in recovery mode.

please assist…

Dustin Q5 years, 9 months ago

I forgot my micro usb port is bad. I can’t charge or transfer data through it. I’m sure there is no other way to get this done on the Nexus One? Such as inserting the micro-sd card in the PC? Thanks again for your help.

Dustin Q5 years, 9 months ago

Or a wifi transfer?

If your microSD card is working fine and your Nexus One can read it, then take out your microSD card in step 9 from your phone and put it into microSD card reader. Download and copy Superuser.zip to your microSD card and put it back to your phone.

Just incase if your phone can not read your microSD card, you can not root using this method. Either you need to wait for 1-click GB root or you can try installing Superuser through ADB.

Dustin Q5 years, 9 months ago

Then I guess the last issue is unlocking the bootloader, since I can’t do step 4 via usb. Is there a way to do that by transferring files to the sd card?

In that case, give Adb Wireless a try.

Dustin Q5 years, 9 months ago

Yeah but you need root access to use that. Maybe it just wasn’t meant to be. Thanks so much for your fast responses.

Dustin Q5 years, 9 months ago

I take it I can follow these same instructions for a Nexus One also?

Amir5 years, 9 months ago

Hi!
    I’m following your guide to root the Nexus S (Herring, rev 11) I’ve got.
    Reached step 13.
    After this, when powering up the phone, it gets into Recovery mode with “NO BOOT OR RECOVERY IMG” displayed in red.
    Trying to flash aging does not seem to change the situation. Neither powering down and up.
    Fastboot is running on Windows 7, 64bit.
    Are there any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Amir

Use fastboot flash recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img in step 6

Amir5 years, 9 months ago

Hi!
        Thanks for the fast reply.
        1. I did as you wrote, flashed the 3.0.0.5 img, then chose Recovery which led me to the (orange) ClockworkMod Recovery screen; Chose there the “reboot system now” –> got back to the “no boot or recovery img”.
        2. Did the same, but after flashing the img I “reboot bootloader” and then the rest. Failed the same.
        3. The same, but on the ClockworkMod Recovery screen chose the “install zip from sd” – failed the same.
        4. The same, but on the ClockworkMod Recovery screen chose “advanced\boot recovery” – failed the same.
        Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
        Amir

Amir5 years, 9 months ago

One more thing – when installing the superuser.zip, it displays it is for Ecalir/Froyo. However, the recovery image is for 2.3.3. Is it compatible?

kenvan195 years, 9 months ago

Awesome guide…wish this was stickied in the NS forums instead of the shitty one that just has basic commands. You used the full commands <.< makes it so much easier for newbies :)