Official Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread update for Nexus One and Nexus S users is now available for download. If you haven't received Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) OTA update on your Nexus S yet, you can install it manually by using the step-by-step guide below. Please note that this tutorial is applicable for both rooted and un-rooted Nexus S users.
Steps to Manually Install Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on Nexus S:
- Download official Android 2.3.3 update for Nexus S from here
- Connect your Nexus S with your computer via USB cable.
- Rename the downloaded file to update.zip and move it to the root directory of the microSD card.
- Turn OFF your Nexus S completely.
- Hold the Volume Up button and press the Power button at the same time to boot your Nexus S into FASTBOOT mode.
- Now press the Volume Down two times to select Recovery option and press the Power button to select it.
- When you will press the Power button, you phone will restart and you will see the triangle with exclamation mark in it.
- Press the Volume Up and Power key to boot into Android system recovery.
- Once in Android system recovery mode, choose apply update from /sdcard option by pressing the Power button.
- Navigate to update.zip by using the volume buttons and select it by pressing the Power button.
- Now wait while Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread is installed on your Nexus S.
- Once installed, choose reboot system now option from the menu by pressing the Power button.
Please note that, at this stage if you have got rooted Nexus S on Android 2.3, you will see ClockworkMod recovery menu. Now choose Flash zip from SD card option by using the volume buttons and select it by pressing the Power button. Again use the volume keys to choose update.zip and press the Power button to install it.
If you get Error in /sdcard/update.zip or Installation aborted message, use this workaround.
In ClockworkMod recovery, you need to choose Reboot system option.
Update#1: Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on Nexus S [How-To Guide]Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback