Exit iOS 4.2.1 Recovery Mode Loop with TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery)

Semaphore has just released a new version of TinyUmbrella which is capable of kicking all those iPhones out of recovery which were stuck in infinite recovery mode loop after iOS 4.2.1 restore. For those who don't know, Apple introduced a new baseband requirement check in iOS 4.2.1 which puts all those iDevices into infinite recovery mode loop who try to restore iOS 4.2.1 using Saurik’s server or TinyUmbrella.

Update via NotCom:

TinyUmbrella BETA for OSX with recovery fix is out! I'm working on the windows version. This also should work for 3GS with iPad BB.

TinyUmbrella Recovery Fix Exit iOS 4.2.1 Recovery Mode Loop with TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery)
TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) should also work for those iPhone 3GS/3G users who are stuck in infinite recovery mode loop after upgrading to iPad baseband (06.15.00). Currently, TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) is only available for Mac OS X users. Windows version of TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) will be released soon.
TinyUmbrella Fix Recovery Exit iOS 4.2.1 Recovery Mode Loop with TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery)

Steps to Kick iPhone Out of Recovery Mode Loop with TinyUmbrella:

1. Download and install TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for Mac OS X from here.
  2. Connect your iPhone to your Mac and launch TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) app. At this stage you will notice the disabled 'Fix Recovery' button.
  3. Put your iPhone into DFU mode by using the instructions below:
    • Turn off your iPhone completely.
    • Press and hold the 'Home'+'Power' button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
    • After 10 seconds, release the 'Power' button but keep holding the 'Home' for another 10 seconds.

TIP: If for some reason you failed to put your iPhone into DFU mode using the above instructions, just follow this video guide.

4. Once your iPhone is in DFU mode, select your iPhone from the TinyUmbrella's side-panel.
  5. Click on 'Fix Recovery' button and wait while TinyUmbrella kicks your iPhone out of recovery mode.

Thats it. Now if you do not rely on unlock, restore to stock iOS 4.2.1 and jailbreak it with GreenPois0n tool (Windows Guide | Mac Guide). If you rely on unlock and want to preserve the baseband of your iPhone, you can use iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW which you can cook though PwnageTool 4.2 on Mac OS X and Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 on Windows. Once jailbroken on iOS 4.2.1, use Ultrasn0w 1.2 to unlock your iPhone.

Update#1: Semaphore has updated TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1 with more simple interface. Get the latest version from the links below:
Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1 [Windows | Mirror]
Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) for iOS 4.2.1 [Mac | Mirror]

Update#2: Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) to fix iOS 4.3 recovery mode loop issue.
Update#3: Download TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) for iOS 4.3.2/4.3.1 to exit recovery loop
Update#4: Download TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) for iOS 4.3.3 to exit recovery mode loop

Be Sure to Check Out:

kikkik_kokkok1 year, 6 months ago

thk

Toby1 year, 6 months ago

do you guys know how to exit an iphone 3g from the recovery mode ????

Ken1 year, 6 months ago

Same issue here with Iphone 3g. I tried using the Tinyumbrella app but even after following all instructions, it still won’t kick out of Recovery mode.

dan okesa1 year, 8 months ago

hi there with this tinny umbrella, when the tss is running is it mean to take longer than an hour?

Danielle Hardin2 years, 6 months ago

so I tried to jailbreak with redsnow on a used 3g 4.2.1 and everything was fine until i tried to put the software from the de website… i got an error 1015…so i tried something else and tried to reinstall the software, now i get an error that says my phone is not eligible…i went and got tiny and tried instructions for that  (becuz it was in recovery loop) but tiny umbrella doesn’t even see my phone on the left side where it is supposed to… and itunes says my device serial number is n/a etc. what should i do? i’m freaking out! how do i get itunes to say my phone is eligible? i already tried the suggestions at apple.com. help!!!

Serge1 year, 10 months ago

Hey Danielle I have the same problem with my iPhone 3G 4.2.1,I did my jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.14b2,it worked my iPhone 3G was jailbreaked,but my Cydia won’t open so I tried jailbreaking my iPhone 3G with greenpois0n RC5 and it went to recovery mode and when I tried to restore it with iTunes 10.7 and it said can’t jailbreak error 1015,so can’t restore it tried with my HP Computer then with my Laptop and only tryings can’t restore,PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serge1 year, 10 months ago

Also I tried Recovery Fix with redsn0w 0.9.14b2,but it says,”You have ended up in Recovery Mode instead of DFU Mode,”Please consult Google or Youtube for instructions on how  to enter DFU Mode,”and am looking for some Google or Youtube instructions on how to enter DFU Mode.PLZ let me know if found some instructions!!!!!!!!!!

Nick2 years, 11 months ago

So I jail broke my iPhone 4 4.2.1 in greenpois0n or what ever and I went to settings<general<reset and now it will just act like it's going to turn on, but then the apple sign comes up, then it goes to the skeleton apple sign and just sits there and goes through that loop over and over. Is there a way to fix it?! Please help!

Did you try Redsn0w’s Recovery Loop fix? Try it out.

Snehil_w2 years, 8 months ago

oh dude.. same with me.. my ipod touch 4.2.1 jb greenpois0n also stuck between that skull and sometimes the restore mode. it dnt restore, not starts up..

Chris2 years, 11 months ago

how do I get it to run for a windows computer? I’ve been trying it but it says that “zlib1.dll was not found” Can some one help me?

You need to download it & place the same inside the FixRecovery folder. Download it from here.

Anna2 years, 11 months ago

hello,
    im kinda new to the whole recovery mode..
    i jail broke my 4.2.1 with green poison..
    went into general settings on it and then
    restore.. and ever since that i cant get it
    out of the booting loop! what did i do brick it?
    :( your help will be greatly appreciated!

Which device? Did you have any SHSH saved? Rely on an unlock? Please explain your issue in detail as its really hard to make guesses.

Logan2 years, 11 months ago

I put my iPhone 3gs (06.15.00 baseband) in pwnd DFU mode via redsn0w, start up tinyumbrella tss server so that itunes will verify the older firmware, and then open itunes. I try to restore to 4.3.3 and I get a 1600 error every time. I have tried it on four computers, two operating systems, and two cords. Any suggestions?

Use Redsn0w instead to put your device in a pwned DFU mode. Make sure you first unplug, replug your iP3GS back in & only then redo the pwned DFU instructions (from the recovery loop screen always).

goinginsane3 years ago

I have upgraded to the official 4.3.5 and my iphone is working great again. Yes, i know whats a tether jb is, thats why i gonna donwgrade to 4.3.3 i think. Maybe i gonna try the new ios 5 for a few days just for fun and then downgrade again. I want to thank you for taking the time to help me. I got one last question though. What do you think is now the best firmware in means of battery life and security? Which firmware has the best battery life in your opinion? And which firmware has the best security or can you recommend some good cydia apps or tricks for security?

Pramod3 years ago

iOS 4.3.5 is the latest for security & the battery issues only happen because of the iPad BB. Since you do not rely on an unlock, you need not worry about that either. It all depends & varies with the iPhone usage itself from person to person, so really can’t comment on that.

Goinginsane3 years ago

i have another question, is it possible to put the official firmware 4.3.5 (if i dont get the errors of course) and after that jailbreak it with redsn0w.?
    if yes, will i lose the baseband? or is it possible to keep the current baseband 03.10.01 ice_2_8?

Pramod3 years ago

You can definitely update to iOS 4.3.5 & also there isn’t a point in preserving your BB either since both are unlockable versions & only a Gevey SIM can unlock them as of now. You won’t get any errors, but it will be a tethered JB always. If you don’t know what a tethered JB is, make yourselves aware of what it is first & then proceed if its fine.

Goinginsane3 years ago

ok i will try that as soon as i have acces to another pc.i have also tried it on another port on the same pc and gives me error 1600. so maybe its my pc thats in the way.

Pramod3 years ago

Try the same port again. Error 1600 is because you still haven’t put your device into a pwned DFU mode. Use iReb/Redsn0w to do that & your good to go.

Goinginsane3 years ago

i done everything like it says
    but know i get : error 14, after restoring, and before that i see usb device installing etc

i always get some error.yesterday it was other errors
    i just dont know it anymore. is there another way?

Pramod3 years ago

A USB dock/port error. Try the restore using a different PC or a USB cable.

Goinginsane3 years ago

Okay, i am a little confused. The first step is to open TU. I got all the settings like the picture. But do i need to click on start TSS server? I need to keep that running and than minimize TU? After that i open redsn0w (but te link u gave me is for mac, i am on windows 7). So i donwloaded: redsn0w-win_0.8 -> is that also good?
    the next step is to create a custom ipsw. First i downloaded the official one from here:

and i clicked on the ”iphone 4 iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw”
    this is also okay?
    this ipws will be custom made with redsnow, so i go go trough the steps of redsnow with the official ipws to create a custom ipsw .Once the custom ipws is made i can enter dfu mode with redsnow, afterwards i can finally restore the custom ipsw with itunes?

Pramod3 years ago

You were supposed to follow the steps as mentioned in that post. Every Redsn0w release has that option & so should you with the latest release which is Redsn0w. Also, you really need to follow as I say. I told you to quit TU & that’s it. Nothing else. So, you need not enable the TSS Server at all because by setting it to those settings your now accessing these SHSH saved on Cydia directly.
      Redsn0w never really had the ability to create a custom IPSW & it probably never will. Only Sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool has it. So you need to follow this guide http://bit.ly/mbFORU instead & create an IPSW for your restore. Use RS only for the pwned DFU mode & nothing else.

Goinginsane3 years ago

ok i have installed the latest version of TU and got it working right now
    now i have this:
    iphone4 4.2.1 (8c148)
    iphone4 4.3 (8f190)
    iphone 4.3.3 (8J2)
    iphone 4.3.4 (8k2)
    iphone 4.3.5 (8L1)

by the way: have these numbers something to do with privacy? because now its on the internet. I dont know if its secure to put these numbers for everybody to see? or is it not that important? Like nobody can hack me or something with these numbers ?

Pramod3 years ago

What you have copied here from TU is nothing but the iOS versions with its public build number. Its not your IMEI number or something that’s displayed. So no worries.
      So now for your restore to custom iOS 4.2.1, open up TU first & set it up to these settings http://bit.ly/qqFuve & quit it. Do not open it again. Next, put your iPhone into a pwned DFU mode using Redsn0w http://bit.ly/pioV9v & now shift+restore to the custom IPSW via iTunes.

Goinginsane3 years ago

first of all, thank you so much for replying so quick. I really appreciate it.
    yes its for my iphone 4. I own only 1 apple product and i know for sure its for my iphone 4. a few hours ago i could see all the shshs in TU. but i think i messed something up. Because i was trying installing 4.3.3 with snowbreeze. I tried so many things that i messed it up i think.
    The map is the map on my desktop where i saved all the shshs. In that map the shshs are exactly how it was in TU. But i changed the ”save map directory” in TU maybe thats why its now different in TU. I know , its stupid. but i always put downloads on a different drive.
    But i have changed it again to my documents. Now i try to open TU, its verifiyng libraries but it wont open. So i have restarted now and now TU wont start up again. I will try and download another version. But do i really need the SHSHS? cant i just upgrade somehow to 4.3.3 or another one? or is it really neccesary to have TU working? I will try another version now…

Pramod3 years ago

Yes, you will still need an SHSH if you ever want to update/restore to any iOS version other than the latest one being pushed out by iTunes. So, its definitely needed. The reason why your TU isn’t up is because you need to always use the latest version of it. Only then will you be able to see the latest SHSH blobs saved for your device. Restore the SHSH files back to where it was originally & then run the latest version of TU. That should work.

Goinginsane3 years ago

yes i did that a while ago and yesterday too

now in tiny umbrella v4.21.14 i have:

saved shshs for iphone:
    iphone4 4.2.1 (8c148)
    iphone4 4.3gm (8f190)

i was so fed up, in the night i tried to upgrade to 4.3.3 but that did not work either

i also have all the shshs in a map on my pc that are iphone3.1-4.2.1.shsh / 4.3.3.shsh / 4.3.4.shsh / 4.3.5.shsh / 4.3.shsh

but each shsh is only 6kb (dont know if thats alright)

i tried so many things but the loop is still there

Pramod3 years ago

Are you sure that this is for your device? The one that you have typed second? Because if your not seeing it in TU then its not for your device either. make sure that you are choosing the right device name & then check. Also, what is this map your talking about? Were they saved by TU? If so, move them to the .SHSH folder in your My Documents & then open up TU.

Goinginsane3 years ago

i need help i am on 4.2.1 baseband 03.10.01 ice_2_8
    i have tried ireb to go in dfu mode and restore it with a cfw 4.2.1
    it said it was succesfuly restored to factory setting then again it wanna restore it again

i have tried restoring it with official 4.2.1

but i keep getting the recovery loop
    i am doing this hole day and nothing works

what am i supposed to do?

elias3 years, 1 month ago

Hi!
    Can some one help me on recovering my Iphone?
    If I use the TinyUmbrella to recover my ’3G Iphone -Jailbroken”
    will I loose all my files (photos, contacts)??
    If yes, is there a way not to lose them?

thank you for your help!!

Elias

No, using FixRec will not erase your personal settings/data unless you have tried performing a restore/update of the iOS.

Rajesh3 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I have 3gs 16gb with 3.1.2 software. I was trying to upgrade to 4.0.1 but iTune did not allow due to 3194 error. I tried all methods of host editing but none works. finally i started tss server on tiny umbrella and itune started upgrade. But finally my iphone went to bacl screen recovery loop. I tries all methods fixRecovery etc to kick it out of recovery but no success. Please suggest what should I do.

Avoid using TU & use the edited hosts files always.
      If it showed a 3194 error using the edited hosts file already, then you cannot upgrade. Only if Cydia has an SHSH blob saved for your iDevice will you be able to update/restore to any of the earlier versions which in your case, its missing. So, nothing can be done unless you have an SHSH specific to your device on Cydia like this http://bit.ly/p07pX2.

Javire3 years, 1 month ago

Don’t have ! thanks for the pic , you are really kind :)

Since Cydia doesn’t have any saved for your iPhone, your stuck on the current iOS your runnign. Use iFaith to save your current SHSH blob atleast. Read this http://bit.ly/qIa3E7.

Javire3 years, 1 month ago

sorry .. i can’t open the picture .. and i don’t know what is SHSH blob . But i have Cydia o.o
    Please help me !!!

Javire3 years, 1 month ago

Hi . My iPad won’t restore / update ..

It keep saying Error 3194 , mind helping out here ?

Iqra3 years, 1 month ago

So i tried restoring with stock firmware 4.3.3. And it worked. But ipod still remained in pwned dfu mode. So i ran redsnow and jailbroke it and then applied the “just boot tethered right now” option. It worked. It turned on. I put all my apps and music in there. However when i shut my ipod off. It went into dfu again O.O
    One more thing. I read that i should use a custom firmware in pwned dfu. I ran sn0wbreeze to jailbreak firmware 4.3.3. However in the middle of the process it gives out the error “The application could not be initialized properly. Click ok to terminate” When i click “ok” the application still keeps on running and later it says “looks like sn0wbreeze has completed making your custom ispw” However when i try restoring it. After extracting the firmware and during “Apple is verifying this firmware” itunes gives out the error 11: The ipod “ipod” could not be restored (error 11). What should i do? >_<

Your custom IPSW is errored. You need to be able to create one successfully & only then restore to it. Else it causes unwanted errors.

Iqra3 years, 1 month ago

Hello. Ive been experiencing alotta problems with my ipod touch 4g. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and now its stuck in pwned dfu mode.
    My Ipod came with firmware 4.2.1. And i jail-broke it with greenpois0n. After some while i messed up my ipod through iPhone browser while trying to install a custom dock through winter-board. Many icons from my ipod disappeared. So i planned on restoring it. It took me like 6 hours to download the 4.2.1 firmware. And after i did. I got to know that apple had stop signing the firmware thus resulting in the itunes error 3194. So i used iReb to put my ipod into pwned dfu and started Tiny Umbrella’s Tss server. My phone was successfully restored (according to itunes) with the fw 4.2.1. HOWEVER the screen remained black and it wouldn’t turn on. itunes kept on saying that an ipod has been detected in recovery mode.So i tried restoring again but this time it threw the error 1601. So i used Fixrecvory that you advised. For a moment my ipod flashed with a clear white screen and then an error started to show on my ipod screen saying “Greenpois0n Initialized”. After fixrecovery closed my ipod went blank again. It wouldn’t turn on. Please HELP! IM VERY VERY DESPERATE!

FixRec will only work for those who have had a mismatch BB error which in your case would never happen. Therefore, using FixRec is definitely not an option here. Now, there is definitely a chance that the SHSH must have got invalidated & therefore kicked you into a DFU loop. Therefore, make sure that inside your Hosts file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, you have an entry like this 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com. This is how you point iTunes to Cydia’s server to retrieve your saved SHSH blobs. If not, enter in the line & save it and now continue the restore from iTunes itself. (NO TinyUmbrella)

casterboink3 years, 1 month ago

Finally solve my problem from reading here. I am on stuck recovery mode. I have iPhone 3gs IOS 4.2.1 baseband 6.15. Here is what I did.
    1. Create custom firmware from sn0wbreeze IOS 4.3.1.
    2. Open TinyUmbrella and start TTS server.
    3. Put iPhone in pwned DFU mode using iREB.
    4. Restore Custom iOS 4.3.1. Upon successful restore, you will be stuck on DFU mode.
    5. Re-jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.6rc19. (check Install cydia)
    6. Then re-run redsn0w, Just boot tethered right now.

FML3 years, 1 month ago

Ahh alright I need help.

I have an Iphone 3gs, with the Ipad baseband.

I followed the instructions and it restores, but when I click “fix recovery” using Tiny Umbrella it doesn’t reboot. I’m pretty sure it just stays in DFU mode. its 4.2.1 custom firmware that I utilized

WHY?

Any info would help guys

Use Redsn0w’s Just Boot Tethered Now option to get yourselves out of the DFU loop.

Itouch 3g mc model3 years, 2 months ago

http://bit.ly/r3A1ua this is the screen i have its not a loop

Yes, I get that. TinyUmbrella will get your iPT3G out of the Recovery Mode.

Itouch 3g mc model3 years, 2 months ago

Hi i have a ipod touch 3. Gen mc model with 4.2.1 jailbroken of course and suddenly it crashed rebooted and displays the itunes and usb cable and i wonder if this will fix it please respond i am desperate

Yes. This will definitely fix the RecoveryLoop issue with your iPT2G

daniel3 years, 2 months ago

It is not workin
    my iphone wont reboot after it says”allow iphone to reboot”
    also tiny umbrella wont recognize my device it just has a question mark next to it
    also my iphone is 3gs if that helps in anyway
    i tried many other things like recboot and ireb all useless please help

Did you try FixRecovery as well? FixRecovery is not the same as the one used in TinyUmbrella. Its a standalone cmd line tool to kick you device out of RecoveryLoop. Follow this guide: http://bit.ly/lN0uF4.

Nani3 years, 2 months ago

HELP! I am a complete noob at this and messed up my phone. I unlocked & jailbroke my iphone 3g firmware 4.2.1 using redsnow. I tried to install a custom boot logo from Cydia. Being the noob that I am did not know what tethered meant and just tried to reboot my phone without plugging it into my computer. After that my phone would not boot up, it would just stay on the apple boot logo. I have tried to restore it using itunes but i keep getting error code 1015 at the end of restoring. I have also tried restoring it in DFU mode but that doesnt seem to work either. I even tried manually restoring it but nothing seems to work. PLEASE HELP!

You’ll always need to restore using a custom IPSW in case you have updated your BB to an iPad’s BB (06.15.00). You have tried to restore using a stock IPSW file from Apple using which will result in the 1015 error.
      Create a custom IPSW for 4.2.1 using Sn0wbreeze 2.2 and restore to the same. You may follow this guide http://bit.ly/puOynD to learn how to do so. Make sure that you have put your iP3GS into a Pwned DFU mode before you Restore. It’ll be the final few steps of SB, so follow the process closely & completely.

Keith Le3 years, 2 months ago

Hey, I clicked fix recovery and now its stuck at “Greenposion initialized” on the iphone and “Fix Recovery has finished. Allow device to reboot!” on TInyumbrealla. Help Please!

Keith Le3 years, 2 months ago

Hey nevermind it worked now. Thank you!

sam3 years, 2 months ago

what can i do if i get error 1004 during the restore of iphone when i wanted to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1?? and i think my phone is fried :(

First of all make sure Cydia has your iOS 4.1 SHSH file saved on its servers. If yes, use TU to Kick your device out of the Recovery Loop and make sure you use a custom FW for restoring to 4.1. If not, your pretty much stuck.

sam3 years, 2 months ago

i use TU to kick my device out but still i am stuck on it …
        i try that but still didnt work just need to turn on my phone and use diffrent way to downgarde my phone

Do you have the SHSH saved for iOS 4.1 on Cydia?
          Make sure you have them by following this:
          1. Remove everything from your Windows HOSTS file
          2. Delete everything from C:\Users\YourName\.shsh (Also create backup of .shsh some where)
          3. Reboot your computer.
          4. Launch TinyUmbrella
          5. Click on save SHSH button.
          6. Start TSS Server
          7. Restore CFW

Monkeytowers3 years, 2 months ago

Ok what the hxll is going on/ o downloaded fixrecovery for windows, i extract the file, but everytime try to load the 4.2.1 fix recovery folder it said cant find a file and then force closes…. how fix that?? (E-Mail me the answer)

If you mean that FixRec can’t find the zlib.dll file, downlaod it from here & drop it into the same folder. After that, follow it up with a re-run of the exe to get started.

bose3 years, 3 months ago

heyy i’ve been trying and searching all over the internetnfor tutorials on exiting the recovery mode loop….and here i did find one…but i’m facing problems here also….whenever i open the fixrecovery itunes gets closed automatically….this happens each and every time thus resulting in displaying cnnot find ituneshelper.exe and itunes.exe…please help guys i am in deep shit….:( btw i have been using an iphone 3g 8gb.

This shouldn’t really matter, because iTunes does get automatically closed when FixRec is run. What is the issue that your facing whilst using FixRec?

Amal3 years, 3 months ago

hey Pramod, i am in the same boat (stuck in black/pwned dfu mode) the firmware on the phone right now is 4.0.1 and the baseband is 01.59.00. I am willing to do the 4.3.3 upgrade, but i really need to preserve my baseband so i can unlock the phone. can i create a custom firmware for 4.3.3 so my baseband doesn’t get upgraded? unfortunately i don’t have shsh blobs saved on cydia. I did save shsh blobs using iFaith, but i think thats only for the 4.0.1 that i have on the phone… what do you suggest?

You may go ahead and follow the Custom Restore IPSW method via Sn0wBreeze 2.7.3 to get you out of the DFU mode. I would prefer you to go ahead with 4.3.3 custom IPSW. (4.0.1 is too ancient for the iPhone 4. Lol. :D) You’ll be able to preserve your BB as well.

david korkmaz3 years, 3 months ago

i downgrade my ipad 4.3.3 to 4.2.1 it all went normally to final step because i can not exit my dfu mode i tried to use umbrella but it gives me a microsoft error and exit and the dos version didnt start it up also what should i do!!!!

If your stuck at the DFU mode (pitch black screen), re-jailbreak using Redsn0wRC16. That should work for you. Download the latest from here http://bit.ly/kOhAeX and give it a try.

RAAshid3 years, 3 months ago

i am unable to start tiny umbrella it shows error message
    pls help

What is the error message that you get?

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

Okay, here’s what did step-by-step:

First, I did what it said in your video, except the whole “hold the home + power button” because iREB pretty much skipped that part since the phone is already on DFU (but not pwned).

iREB then said the iPhone 3GS is on pwned DFU mode, so I closed it. And then opened tinyumbrella. I then started TSS Server.

I opened iTunes, did the shift+restore on custom 4.2.1 IPSW. It went through the restoration process with no errors. The snowflake apple showed up on the iPhone during the restoration process and the bar filled up. iTunes completed the restoration process, apparently, but the iPhone is still stuck in DFU mode.

This is also already after changing the gs.apple.com host to what you recommended (I didn’t change it back).

Nops. If the restore process has completed without any error, then it means now you can use fixrecovery421.exe to kick your iPhone out of recovery mode loop. Download fix recovery for iOS 4.2.1 from here http://bit.ly/ipa0U4 and try it.

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

When I restored the phone, it was as if it restored normally and in the end, iTunes says the phone will restart in a few seconds. However, what happens is the phone blacks out and an iTunes pop-up says it detected a phone in recovery mode. The phone stays in DFU mode.

I just tried the fixrecovery421.exe. It went through a few processes and then after a while, the phone blacks out again. Still stuck in DFU.

You need to provide me the LOG of fix recovery you see in command prompt. Lastly, if everything fails, restore iOS 4.3.3 custom IPSW. Your iPhone should kick itself out of recovery.

Here is a screenshot of the logs of fixrecovery421.exe:

After “Resetting device counters” reaches 100%, the window closes (so I screenshot it completed).

Before I try restoring to 4.3.3, I’ll see what you think of this one first.

Thanks!

Make sure an instance of iTunes is running in background when you launch fixrecovery421.exe Otherwise LOG is clear and fine.

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

Here’s a screenshot of fixrecovery after I opened iTunes.

iTunes closed shortly after I opened fixrecovery. It went through those processes again and fixrecovery closed. The iPhone went through a series of processes as well, but in the end, it’s still in DFU mode.

Patrick3 years, 3 months ago

Ok. This confirms that fixrecovery421.exe is working fine but for some reason, the firmware on your iPhone is corrupt. From my past experience, the only possible way to kick your iPhone out of recovery mode loop and get it in working condition is to restore iOS 4.3.3 custom IPSW. To create iOS 4.3.3 custom IPSW, use this guide http://bit.ly/k5I7Qu on Windows and this guide on Mac http://bit.ly/jMpbKR Note that you do not need SHSH blobs to restore iOS 4.3.3 custom IPSW.

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

My mom decided to have it repaired. She needed to use her phone already.

But thanks for all the help! The guy who fixed the phone downgraded it to 4.1. He restored it on custom 4.1 and kicked it out of recovery using iREB.

Anyway, at least I will know the different methods to try if I face another iPhone problem like this.

Thanks for the patience. (though my mom wasn’t patient enough to wait. Haha!)

Patrick3 years, 3 months ago

No problem. Do let me know if u (or ur mom :)) need any more help!

Hello.
    I was trying to restore a jailbroken iPhone 3GS and then I got stuck at recovery loop.
    The phone was on iOS 4.2.1 with iPad baseband. I jailbroke with custom IPSW.

I attempted to restore the phone via iTunes (my mom was complaining of battery drainage so I figured I had to restore and jailbreak again), but then I got stuck on recovery loop. I tried restarting the laptop, using a different laptop, but I still get stuck with errors. I also tried tiny umbrella, both fix and end recovery. It didn’t work.

I’m afraid that I busted the phone or something.. (hopefully not…).

Please help!

I think you restored stock iOS 4.2.1 IPSW on your iPhone 3GS with iPad baseband. Note that restoring stock IPSW of any firmware on your iPhone will simply put it in infinite recovery mode loop. To fix this loop, you need to restore iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW made with PwnageTool 4.2 http://bit.ly/g4eqGd or Sn0wbreeze 2.2 http://bit.ly/hasi6C Once you have created iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW for your iPhone, restore it using iTunes but first put your iPhone into Pwned DFU mode using this guide http://bit.ly/fj30Jt

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

Okay I tried this, but when I was going to restore, I got error 3194.

To restore, you must use TinyUmbrella to provide iTunes iOS 4.2.1 SHSH blobs. Close iTunes -> Launch TinyUmbrella -> Save SHSH button -> Start TSS Server -> Open iREB -> Put iPhone in Pwned DFU mode -> Open iTunes -> Restore iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW.

For more info, read this http://bit.ly/fK073B

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

Okay, I tried it. It looked like there was more progress this time. Itunes says it was successful in restoring the phone, but now it won’t turn on. Tinyumbrella says it’s on DFU mode.
            No errors came up during the restore.

Ok. Connect your iPhone to your PC and press the Power+Home button until your iPhone kicks itself into recovery mode. Can you tell me the complete name of IPSW you restored using iTunes?

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

I followed the steps you gave me and it goes through the restoration process. The phone displays an apple snowflake with a bar below it. As with iTunes, the bar finishes and the restoration is complete; however, the phone goes back to DFU mode and I can’t take it out from that mode. I don’t know if I’m still in pwned DFU or just DFU. I have no idea what to do now.

Its in DFU mode. Can you tell me which firmware you have restored? iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.3.3?

Fine, it is restored to iPhone OS 3.1.2. You can now restore iOS 4.1 custom IPSW on your iPhone 3G. Though it is not necessary but you can kick your iPhone out of recovery mode loop using Recboot software.

I used iOS 4.2.1.
            I made a custom one through sn0wbreeze, and used that when I was trying to restore.

How can you restore iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW without SHSH blobs? Just use TinyUmbrella http://bit.ly/fK073B to restore iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW successfully.

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

I am not very familiar with SHSH blobs. But I tried using TinyUmbrella before contacting you. When I connected the iPhone 3GS when it was still in recovery mode, only one set of numbers would appear beginning with a “?”. I would use that when trying to kick out of recovery or restore. However, the phone still stayed in recover loop.

Unfortunately, now when I plug in the phone (it’s still stuck in DFU mode, since I tried snowbreeze), no numbers come out.

If I need to downgrade lower than iOS 4.2.1, I will gladly do that.

By the way, thank you for your patience with my iPhone 3GS problem. It is very much appreciated.

Ok. Leave TinyUmbrella, just add this 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to your Windows or Mac HOSTS file and reboot your computer. After that try to restore iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW using iTunes. Make sure there is no other entries with gs.apple.com in the HOSTS file except 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

Leave tinyumbrella as in leave it on? Or exit?

Anyway I’ve tried both ways. I put in “74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com” in HOSTS using notepad, saved and rebooted.

When I tried restoring the iPhone without tinyumbrella, I got an error 3194.
            With tinyumbrella, it was an error 1600.

When you get 1600 error, use this guide http://bit.ly/fj30Jt to fix it.

Meryl3 years, 3 months ago

Alright. I used iREB, but the result is still the same. After using iREB, with tinyumbrella on, I still get error 1600. After iREB with tinyumbrella off, it’s still error 3194.

Nopsi. You are using iREB wrong. First change your USB post and the watch this video http://youtu.be/2nMovKzvuIw to put your iPhone into Pwned DFU mode. Once your iPhone is in Pwned DFU mode, close iREB and start TSS Server in TinyUmbrella.

mm3 years, 3 months ago

Does not work, This is bull*hit can’t even get the bull to open. I f**king hate liars.

What is your iPhone mode? Current firmware and current baseband? You used DOS based TU (Fix Recovery) or GUI based?

Kevin3 years, 3 months ago

Every time I download this, it tries to put it into a zip file. I try to open it and says it’s missing some file. I am completely new at this and am trying to get my phone but up and working. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah! Drag the fixrecovery42.exe to desktop and the download Zlib1.dll from here. Make sure fixrecovery42.exe and Zlib1.dll is present in the same directory. Put your iPhone in DFU mode and launch fixrecovery42.exe.

Kelly3 years, 3 months ago

Hi, i have a 3gs 4.2.1 with upgrade baseband 6.15.00, my phone got stuck at recovery looping mode, i’ve tried so many ways but still couldn’t get out. I used custom restore, it gave me an error 3194. I used tinyumbrella fixrecovery it ran all the way to the end, pop up the screen but stuck there again…any suggestions. Thanks

Which version of TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) you used to kick your iPhone out of recovery mode loop? DOS based or GUI?

Kelly3 years, 3 months ago

I used fixcovery 4.2.1, it complete the process yet still won’t start up the phone. it keeps stuck at the apple/greenposon logo. I’ve tried many ways to fix the 3194 error and my setting is correct. I’m not sure if i use DOS or GUI, but i think i used DOS. Thanks

You need to show me the LOG of fix recovery like this http://i.imgur.com/79SZ2.jpg

Also have you successfully restored iOS 4.2.1 on your iPhone? Because fix recovery 4.2 will not work until your iPhone has been successfully restored to iOS 4.2.1.

GB3 years, 5 months ago

Help! I can’t kick out my Iphone 3G in recovery mode for 4.2.1 version and it has the 6.15 ipad bb. It just goes back to recovery mode after hitting “exit recovery” using the latest tinyumbrella update with fix recovery… :(

TinyUmbrella Exit Recovery or Fix Recovery will not work if you have iPhone 3GS with iPad baseband. You must restore to custom iOS 4.2.1 IPSW (NOT Stock) and then use TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) {See Update#1 in the above article}

Arturo3 years, 5 months ago

Application failed to initialize because zlib1.dll file is missing.

E.3 years, 5 months ago

How do I get this thing into DFU mode when its stuck in recovery mode?
    No matter how I hit the power button i just turns right back on in recovery mode.

Getting in DFU mode do not depends if your iPhone is powered OFF, ON or is in recovery mode. Just hold the Home+Power button for 10 seconds and then release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for another 10 seconds. Once your iPhone is in DFU mode, it should have a black screen.

John3 years, 5 months ago

Followed the steps and I got out of the 1015 error, but now I’m getting a 1600 error and can’t get out of that!! Any ideas what to do? I’m on a Mac 10.6.7.. iPhone 3G.

laxu3 years, 5 months ago

I tried this multiple times but when i hit Fix recovery then the phone behaves like restarting but it restarts back to the recovery loop again.tried several times.Need Help
    I have a 3g with 4.2.1 BB 6.15 JB with redsn0w

laxu3 years, 5 months ago

I also tried the DOS version. No help

You restored stock iOS 4.2.1 IPSW while your iPhone is running iPad bb?

laxu3 years, 5 months ago

Oh. it isnt possible. i read it but didnt know its not possible now :s

Yep. You can only restore custom IPSWs.

laxu3 years, 5 months ago

Have we heard any disadvantages of custom IPSWs over stock ones? Just want to be happy :)

Nops! Custom IPSWs are always better :P Full root access!

Paul3 years, 5 months ago

i did and have been trying for 2 hours and no luck i guess its a piece of crap

What error you are getting?

Paul3 years, 5 months ago

No error its just stops on Fix Recovery has finished. Allow device to reboot! and that it nothing happens.

“Fix Recovery has finished” -> Do you see “Exiting Libpois0n” message in the end?

Giorgi3 years, 5 months ago

iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 does not reboot after “allow device to reboot”

Did you tried the latest version of TU (FixRecovery)? The DOS based?

Francisco3 years, 5 months ago

I tried to kill recovery loops with this tool, but umbrella don’t recognize the device. Only appear a ?0 device. I put the 4.2.1 ipsw. I tried with ireb, umbrella, recboot. All the software reboot my device twice and the start the recovery mode!
    Can you help me?

mike p3 years, 6 months ago

I’ve been waiting on a resolution on this for weeks! This is the one that worked. I really do appreciate this one. Now my iphone 3gs on 4.2.1, base band 6.15 is working perfectly. Thanks a million!

EM3 years, 6 months ago

OK I clicked on fix recovery mode when the machine is on DFU mode.
    And its stuck at ” Fix Recovery has finished. Allow device to reboot!”
    It doesn’t reboot.

3G – iOS 4.2.1

Faadi3 years, 6 months ago

Dude…. thanks a bunch. i wasted so much time figuring out how to take the phone out of recovery until i found your page. I took my phone out of recovery and i am good to go.

once again.. THANK YOU SO MUCH

bilal3 years, 6 months ago

I dont know how i say thanks to you because of your help & support. Just can pray for you God always give you success in your life and keep you happy always because i made every thing every possible this to let my iphone 3g work after downgrading it to 3.1.3 but every time i failed but now i have used your step by step instruction and it is working perfectly.

Peter3 years, 6 months ago

Hi
    Can I change baseband from 06.15.00 back to 03.10.01 if I have SHSH backup?