Just like Apple TV 2G, now you can stream audio to your iDevice from your PC or Mac OS X by using iOS 4.2.1 AirPlay feature. With this little tweak, you will be able to stream songs directly from your iTunes library to your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, converting them into true portable speakers.
- Download and install iTunes 10.1 for Windows and Mac OS X from here
- Download AirPlaySpeaker.deb from here
- Once you have downloaded the DEB file, you need to SSH into your device and place the DEB file in the following location:
- Open iTunes 10.1 and navigate to Preferences -> Devices and check Look for remote speakers connected with AirPlay and Allow iTunes control from remote speakers as shown in the screenshot below:
- Restart iTunes and you'll see AirPlay icon at the bottom-right corner. Play any song from the iTunes library and select your device under the AirPlay menu.
- If there is no AirPlay icon in your iTunes, make sure that your iDevice is not in a sleep mode and Wifi is turned on. [Thanks to Ben for the hat tip via email]
If you do not know how to SSH into iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, follow this WinSCP tutorial if you are on Windows or follow this CyberDuck tutorial if you are a Mac OS X user. Just incase if your Wifi is not working, use this guide to install DEB on your iDevice without an active Wifi connection. Remember to reboot your device once you have placed AirPlaySpeaker.deb in AutoInstall directory.