Many people faced battery drainage, device overheating and push notification issues after jailbreaking their iPhone on iOS 4.2.1 and and unlocking it with Ultrasn0w 1.2. Sam Bingner, an iPhone developer has provided a solution to these problems by releasing Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM). It's a method to officially activate your iPhone without using an official carrier SIM.
How Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) actually works? I basically tricks your iPhone and iTunes by creating official or legit activation tickets, even if you hactivated your iPhone. Your iPhone won't look for valid certificates all the times, consequently increasing device battery life and providing other associated benefits.
Step to Install & Activate iPhone with SAM
- Download latest Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 (Win | Mac), which provides the functionality to deactivate hactivation on your iPhone.
- Jailbreak your iPhone by using Redsn0w 0.9.6b6. Instruction are the same as given for previous version of Redsn0w. (Those of who are not on 05.14.xx and 05.15.xx baseband should skip "Install iPad baseband" option in Step-8)
- Open Cydia and go to Manage -> Sources
- Tap on "Edit" button at top right of screen.
- Tap on "Add" button at top left of screen.
- Add source http://repo.bingner.com as Cydia/APT URL.
- Install "SAM" and "SAMPrefs".
- You will need to revert your iPhone to a stock lockdown for SAM to function. Run Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 with "Deactivate" option for reverting your iPhone to stock lockdown.
- Go to Settings -> SAM and tap on De-Activate iPhone
- Now start iTunes and allow it to activate your iPhone officially (It will take some time).
- Now you can use Ultrasn0w 1.2 to unlock your iPhone on any unofficial carrier. Step-by-step instructions are posted here.
*If iTunes says invalid SIM, you will need to manually select the appropriate carrier under one of the methods besides "Automatic" and click on a SIMID.
UPDATE#1: Download SAM for iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 [Stockification Failure Error Fixed]
UPDATE#2: Download SAM to Activate iPhone 4/3GS Officially on iOS 4.3.2
UPDATE#3: Download SAM to Activate iPhone 4/3GS Officially on iOS 4.3.3
UPDATE#4: Push Notifications Not Working on iOS 4.3.3 After Using SAM? [How To Fix]
UPDATE#5: Fix SAM Error - SIM Card Not Does Not Appear to be Supported