How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

Many people faced battery drainage, device overheating and push notification issues after jailbreaking their iPhone on iOS 4.2.1 and and unlocking it with Ultrasn0w 1.2. Sam Bingner, an iPhone developer has provided a solution to these problems by releasing Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM). It's a method to officially activate your iPhone without using an official carrier SIM.

How Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) actually works? I basically tricks your iPhone and iTunes by creating official or legit activation tickets, even if you hactivated your iPhone. Your iPhone won't look for valid certificates all the times, consequently increasing device battery life and providing other associated benefits.

Step to Install & Activate iPhone with SAM

1. Download latest Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 (Win | Mac), which provides the functionality to deactivate hactivation on your iPhone.
  2. Jailbreak your iPhone by using Redsn0w 0.9.6b6. Instruction are the same as given for previous version of Redsn0w. (Those of who are not on 05.14.xx and 05.15.xx baseband should skip "Install iPad baseband" option in Step-8)
  3. Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 Jailbreak How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

4. Open Cydia and go to Manage -> Sources
  5. SAM Activation Cydia 1 How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?
    SAM Activation Cydia 2 How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

6. Tap on "Edit" button at top right of screen.
  7. Tap on "Add" button at top left of screen.
  8. Add source http://repo.bingner.com as Cydia/APT URL.
  9. SAM Activation Cydia 3 How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

10. Install "SAM" and "SAMPrefs".
  11. SAM Activation Cydia 4 How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

12. You will need to revert your iPhone to a stock lockdown for SAM to function. Run Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 with "Deactivate" option for reverting your iPhone to stock lockdown.
  13. Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 Deactivate How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?
    Deactivating iPhone How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

14. Go to Settings -> SAM and tap on De-Activate iPhone
  15. SAM Activation Cydia 5 How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

16. Now start iTunes and allow it to activate your iPhone officially (It will take some time).
  17. *If iTunes says invalid SIM, you will need to manually select the appropriate carrier under one of the methods besides "Automatic" and click on a SIMID.

SAM Activation Cydia 6 How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

18. Now you can use Ultrasn0w 1.2 to unlock your iPhone on any unofficial carrier. Step-by-step instructions are posted here.
  19. SAM Activation Cydia 7 How to Activate iPhone 4/3GS/3G without Official SIM with SAM?

UPDATE#1: Download SAM for iOS 4.3 & iOS 4.3.1 [Stockification Failure Error Fixed]
UPDATE#2: Download SAM to Activate iPhone 4/3GS Officially on iOS 4.3.2
UPDATE#3: Download SAM to Activate iPhone 4/3GS Officially on iOS 4.3.3
UPDATE#4: Push Notifications Not Working on iOS 4.3.3 After Using SAM? [How To Fix]
UPDATE#5: Fix SAM Error - SIM Card Not Does Not Appear to be Supported

sivanos2 years, 7 months ago

hello,
    i downloaded sam and the push notifications works but my iPhone doesn’t connect on 3g only on wifi ? how come?

Mohit3 years ago

Battery Drainage issue can’t be resolved if you’re upgraded to BB 6.15.00 .. However there’s still a chance if you decide to be on 3.13 :-/

Pramod3 years ago

Its the iPad BB that’s at fault pretty much because your running something on an iPhone that’s meant to be run on the iPad. Added to it should be the iOS version & also the hacktivation which together causes the dreaded battery drainage issues.

Apachez3 years, 5 months ago

I did deactivated using SAM, the battery still drains too fast, is there any way to fix that?

I even did restore my iphone, jailbreak, and activate using SAM.. didnt resolve my battery. :( drains too fast. Even ping is disabled.

Btw im using iphone 3gs with iOS 4.3.2 bb 6.15.00..

Make sure you have no app running in background. Also try iWipeCache tweak from Cydia.

Apachez3 years, 5 months ago

Still the same.. the battery drains 1% like every 2 mins.. sighs..

Have you got iOS 4.1 or iOS 4.2.1 SHSH blobs? Downgrading is the only option left.

Apachez3 years, 5 months ago

Downgrade? I should try the downgrade to 4.2.1. I’ll let u know.

warmock3 years, 5 months ago

iPhone 3gs IOS 4.3.2 bb 6.15.00 Worked great thanks you very much.

ezequiel3 years, 5 months ago

HI!

yesterday update my iphone 3g to 4.2.1 using iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore over redsn0w 0.9.6rc14. After that ultrasn0w 1.2.2

Now my problem is, i connectusb the iphone to pc and the battery indicator its null, no increase the charge. Anyone knows any solution to this ? i try this tutorial but now the custom ipsw that is not reconized by redsn0w

HELP!!!

The new version of SAM do not require you to de-activate your iPhone through Redsn0w. Have a look here http://bit.ly/i7ceCI (Although guide is for iOS 4.3.2 but it is still valid for all iPhones)

Tomerzimm3 years, 7 months ago

If I jailbreak with sn0wbreeze and I have AT&T iPhone and have problem
    With YouTube,
    Does this solution will work for me?

spacemonQuee3 years, 8 months ago

Where there should be “De-activate iPhone” in my SAM, there is only the possibility to turn hacktivate on or off. So I can’t de-activate my phone. Any suggestions how to resolve this?

aden3 years, 9 months ago

can i uninstall samprefs after this process?

Diego3 years, 10 months ago

Im a iphone 3Gs (old bootrom) on iOS 4.1 with 05.13.04 BB.
    I have terrible battery life, overheating issues, etc.
    Can I apply this method to my iphone, to activate it using SAM?
    Does it apply to me?

Yes, all those devices which are hacktivated can use this method

Manish Kumar3 years, 10 months ago

Hi Wolverine,
    i was already on Jailbroken & Unlocked iPhone 3Gs on(ios 4.1, BB 6.15) with redsn0w B5 and ultrasn0w 1.2

what i have done is..

1. installed SAM and SAMprefs
    2. only tick the option “Deactivate” iphone with redsnow b6
    3. after process done, i removed the cable from PC
    4. Option> SAM> De-activate iPhone
    5 after that connected the cable with Pc, and started iTunes 10.1
    6. iphone says “iPhone is activated”
    7. But when i see SAM, there is a Error..

Activation state: Unactivated
    SAMState : Loaded OK

what went wrong? EVEN ITUNES is SAYING “SIM card inserted in this iPhone is not supported” .. Battry seems to

Manish Kumar3 years, 10 months ago

Battry seems to be better with previous state. but not OK, not at all

Ayin3 years, 10 months ago

Hi. I used sn0wbreeze to jailbreak my phone, updated BB using redsn0w and unlocked using ultrasn0w. I tried using SAM to activate my phone several times already but it does not work. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Vikas3 years, 10 months ago

Will this work on BB 03.10.01 iPhone 4?

Please reply my phone is locked and i am unable to unlock it.

Its not an unlock tool. You need to wait for Ultrasn0w for baseband 03.10.01

Michael3 years, 10 months ago

I did this and it worked finally. Doing this on a already unlocked phone does not work The Battery keeps draining very fast. Important is that

I had to restore to stock IOS 4.1 first so i had to jailbreak with redsn0w again,
    then installed SAM
    then ran Rendsn0w again clicked on decativate,
    then ran SAM and say decativate,
    then run itunes to activate
    if it says SIM is not recognized then in SAM Choose Your Carrier chose ATT Cingular even i am in the Dominican Republic
    and finaly installed UltraSn0w.

So i am up and running again. My Battery is ok now

Great fix

Michael

Thankyou Micheal for sharing your thoughts :)

VIKRANT3 years, 9 months ago

HEY MICHAEL.
      I DID EXACTLY WT U WROTE. BUT STILL CANT GET ITUNES TO ACTIVATE THE IPHONE.
      ANY SUGGESTION?

Seb3 years, 10 months ago

My problem is that Itunes will not recognise the SIM, even going through every single network and SIMID manually I can’t unlock my Iphone 3G 8GB on 4.1. I have tried an ATT SIM and that won’t work either. I am stuck with terrible battery life as the phone (which I just bought) does not have SHSH files to roll back to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2, I have managed to get 3.1.2 installed but Cydia won’t load properly so I can’t hactivate the phone. Seems I am stuck?

It will recognize the SIM, I have tested it myself. Make sure when you choose different network and SIMID, click on the “Regenerate SIM” button.

Amit Sekhri3 years, 8 months ago

I have a constant problem with my IPhone 3 GS. Since the time I have jail broken the same it has serious problems with the network connectivity. While talking it has constant Static and Voice Braeking problems. Can someone please help me with the same.