MFST.GUY has released PwnageTool bundle to jailbreak iOS 4.2 (GM) on iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom). You can use this bundle to patch the latest version of PwnageTool (v4.1.2). Once patched, you will be able to create custom IPSW iOS 4.2 GM which on restore through iTunes will jailbreak iOS 4.2 on iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) without upgrading its baseband version.
Update via MFST.GUY:
Steps to Patch PwnageTool 4.1.2 with iOS 4.2 GM Bundle:
*Find download links at the end of post
- *Download iTunes 10.0.1
- *Download PwnageTool 4.1.2
- *Download iOS 4.2 GM for iPhone 3GS
- *Download PwnageTool bundle of iOS 4.2 GM for iPhone 3GS
- Create an empty directory on your desktop and rename it "PwnageTool"
- Place PwnageTool (v4.1.2), iOS 4.2 (iPhone2_1_4.2_8C134_Restore.ipsw), Bundle file (iPhone2,1_4.2_8C134.bundle), Script file (atvBundlePatcher.sh) and patch file (Info.plist.patch) in "PwnageTool" directory you created in step 5.
- Right-click on PwnageTool app, choose "Show Package Contents" and navigate to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/
- Copy or drag iOS 4.2 bundle file (iPhone2,1_4.2_8C134.bundle) in "FirmwareBundles" directory as shown in the screenshot below:
- Now open terminal and run the script by using the following set of commands:
- Thats it, now you have successfully patched PwnageTool with the bundle.
Steps to Create iOS 4.2 Custom IPSW with PwnageTool 4.1.2:
- Run PwnageTool 4.1.2 and choose iPhone 3GS from the displayed devices.
- Choose Expert mode and browse to iOS 4.2 IPSW for iPhone 3GS.
- Choose "Build" from the displayed options to create iOS 4.2 custom IPSW.
- Wait while PwnageTool cook custom IPSW of iOS 4.2
- Once done, connect your iPhone to your Mac through USB cable and hold down the Power and Home button simultaneously for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the Home button until PwnageTool detects your iPhone in DFU mode.
- Thats it. You can see iOS 4.2 custom IPSW in PwnageTool folder as shown in the screenshot below:
Steps to Restore iOS 4.2 Custom IPSW Through iTunes:
Once you have successfully created the iOS 4.2 GM custom IPSW through PwnageTool and your iPhone is in DFU mode, launch iTunes and click on the name of the device from the side panel to view the summary page.
Now you will see two buttons, "Check for Updates" and "Restore". Hold down the ALT key (SHIFT for Windows) and click on the "Restore" button to browse for iOS 4.2 GM custom IPSW file you just created with the patched version of PwnageTool 4.1.2
*Above image is for illustration purpose only
Now wait until iTunes restores the custom cooked iOS 4.2 GM IPSW on your iPhone. If you see iTunes error 1004 or 1015 during the restore, don't panic because the firmware restore on your device is now complete. All you need is to kick your device out of recovery mode by using RecBoot or TinyUmbrella software.
Once restore process is complete, your iPhone will restart automatically and you'll have fully jailbroken iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) on iOS 4.2 GM.
Download iTunes 10.0.1 for Windows & Mac OS X
Download PwnageTool 4.1.2 for Mac
Download PwnageTool bundle of iOS 4.2 GM for iPhone 3GS
Download iOS 4.2 GM for iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad (Wifi/3G)
Update#1: Guide to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 GM on iPad with PwnageTool Bundle
Update#2: Guide to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 GM on iPod Touch 4G with PwnageTool Bundle
Update#3: Download official PwnageTool 4.2 for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak on Mac
Update#4: Download Sn0wbreeze 2.2 for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak on Windows
Latest: iPhone 3Gs Jailbreak