Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 for Windows & Mac OS X to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 [How-To Guide]

iPhone Dev-Team has released an updated version of Redsn0w (v0.9.6b4) to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad (Wifi+3G). Unlike Cydia that comes with PwnageTool 4.1.2 and Redsn0w 0.9.6b3, Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 comes with an updated version of MobileSubstrate and Cydia which doesn't crash anymore.

Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b4
Note that Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 will do a semi-tethered jailbreak on iPhone 4/3GS (New Bootrom), iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G (MC Model) and iPad. Semi-tethered jailbreak means inorder to SSH (Win | Mac) into your device or use Cydia, you must boot into jailbroken state using "Just boot tethered right now" option in Redsn0w. All other iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) and iPod Touch 2G (non-MC Model) users can enjoy full untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak on their devices. Though Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 will jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on all of the said devices but it'll also upgrade your baseband to 05.15.04 on iPhone 3GS/3G and 03.10.01 on iPhone 4. Both of these basebands are yet to be unlocked by the newest version of Ultrasn0w unlock tool.

Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad with Redsn0w 0.9.6b4:

*Find download links at the end of post

1. *Download iTunes 10.1
  2. *Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b4
  3. *Download stock iOS 4.2.1 IPSW for your iDevice.
  4. Connect your device to your PC or Mac OS X and restore to iOS 4.2.1 using iTunes 10.1.
  5. Once iOS 4.2.1 is successfully restored on your iDevice, run Redsn0w.exe and click on the "Browse" button. Select iOS 4.2.1 IPSW you downloaded in step 3.
  6. Browse for iOS 4.2.1 IPSW
    Redsn0w 0.9.6b4

7. Once Redsn0w has successfully identified the firmware file, click on "Next" button to patch the firmware.
  8. Redsn0w 0.9.6b4

9. Select Cydia from the options and click on the "Next" button.
  10. Redsn0w 0.9.6b4

11. Turn off and plug your device to your computer.
  12. Redsn0w 0.9.6b4

13. Connect your iPhone in recovery mode. For that you will need to quickly hold "Power" button , after holding the "Power" button for 3 seconds, you will now have to hold "Home" button for 10 seconds. After that release "Power" button but keep holding "Home" until the installation automatically begins.
  14. Redsn0w 0.9.6b4

15. Now leave the rest for Redsn0w, your device will reboot automatically once the process is completed.

For iPhone 4/3GS (New Bootrom), iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G (MC Model) and iPad Users:

Once you are done with the jailbreak process, all iDevices except iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) and iPod Touch 2G (non-MC Model) need to boot into jailbroken state by using "Just boot tethered right now" option as shown in the screenshot below:
Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 Boot Tethered
Once you have successfully booted your device into jailbroken state, you can use Cydia and SSH into your device easily.

Download Links:

Download iTunes 10.1
Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 for Windows
Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 for Mac
Download iOS 4.2.1 Final for 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad (Wifi+3G)

papalodza3 years ago

i have an iPhone 3G. I accidentally pressed erase all contests and reset. how do i SUCCESFULLY install the 4.2.1 firmware. i tried to do it through iTunes it fails during firmware verification. i have tried to follow the above procedure tho iOS 4.2.1 is NOT successfully on my device it directs me to iTunes. what can i possibly do to successfully reinstore iOS 4.2.1. i don’t have a back up

Patrick Gumban3 years ago

What exactly is the error that you are encountering in iTunes? As far as I know, iOS 4.2.1 is still being signed for the iPhone 3G.

Papalodza3 years ago

Unknown error occurred (1015).

Patrick Gumban3 years ago

You can try the solutions to fix iTunes error 1015 that are detailed in these posts: http://bit.ly/15ZLe1W and http://bit.ly/1gBe0Wr

Papalodza3 years ago

Thanks the problem is now solved. Now I have a ‘No service’ problem. I have used redsnow to jailbreak. What can I do

Patrick Gumban3 years ago

Hmm.. what’s your baseband now? Do you use an unlock software like Ultrasn0w?

Papalodza3 years ago

06.15.00 is the new modem firmware and Version is 4.2.1 (8C148). I used redsnow to jailbreak.

Patrick Gumban3 years ago

You can try this:

Run redsn0w 9.15b3
            Perform the jailbreak again and install iPad baseband.
            Rerun redsn0w twice, tick downgrade iPad baseband.
            Install Ultrasn0w to unlock.

Basically, you will try to downgrade your baseband to 5.13.04 and unlock using Ultrasn0w since the iPad baseband is just unstable. Let me know how that works.

Papalodza3 years ago

I did not downgrade baseband. Cydia gives errors while downloading and updating its respository list. The two errors I got are ‘sub process/bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)’
            GPG error: the following signatures were invalid:NODATA1 NODATA 2

So if I try to search for ultrasnow I can’t find it

Affc064 years, 5 months ago

im stuck in the Downloading Jailbreak Data screeen

Confused.4 years, 5 months ago

Wolverine:
    When I try to jailbreak my iPhone 3g, everything works until the part that redsn0w is supposed to do the rest. The progress bar stays on ramdisk for about thirty minutes or more and doesnt move. What can I do to fix this?

Godofwrath94 years, 6 months ago

oh yeah i forgot its taking long at……ramdisk is this normal?

Godofwrath94 years, 6 months ago

tnx man it really works……. i think im doing it right now! and on me ipod it says “downloading jailbreak data” is this normal and secondly is it sopose to be slow? and very last is it sopose ti take long on bar 3 becuase mine is!

micheal4 years, 8 months ago

where do i download Download stock iOS 4.2.1 IPSW for my device??
    i have been trying to jailbreak 2 ipod touch but i fail please help

neil4 years, 9 months ago

nice i reboot my ipod touch (4th generation){4g} but its nice to reboot

sisi4 years, 11 months ago

Does this guide work for iPad 2?

Hassam Ahmad Awan5 years, 2 months ago

Hi Wolverine i really need your help,

I messed up with my iphone 3g. It previously had ios verion 3.1.2 and i upgraded it to 4.2.1 version from itunes.

But now it seems locked and it asks to plugin the supported sim card. So what can i do now to open it so that it starts working again. Do i need to jailbreak it or unlock it?

Please help i am now in serious trouble :((

Thanks in advance,
    I know you will help me :) as you did my brother with his iphone.

Well glad to help you. Right now your on a locked BB and the only way you can unlock your iPhone right now is to update your BB to an iPad’s BB and then get it unlocked. Download the latest Redsn0w from here http://bit.ly/lMeWpa and use your iOS 4.2.1 along with the Install iPad BB option.

Mahesh5 years, 4 months ago

Hi Wolverine,
    I really need your help. I would apreciate if you can help me.
    I am trying to unlock a 3G phone with 4.2.1 iOS. I just updated the baseband to 05.16.00 (iPad BB) using Redsn0w 0.9.6B5.
    When I go into Cydia, I tried adding repo666.ultrasn0w.com for the first few times, it did not accept. After trying to verify the server, it gave me an error saying the repository was not available. Finally somehow, it showed up after the 3rd attempt.
    Now when I go select repo666.ultrasn0w.com and go inside there is no Ultrasnow 1.X . The screen is just blank.
    Can you please tell me where I am going wrong..Appreciate your help.

Ian5 years, 5 months ago

I have a iPod Touch 3g 4.2.1 and I dont understand your instructions on what to do for the 3g itouch’s….am i suppost to do the “Just boot tethered right now?” And then I install cydia or what? Im confused…

You are still using Redsn0w for tethered jailbreak? :D Dude, use GreenPois0n for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak http://bit.ly/fwmAMO

Ian5 years, 5 months ago

Haha I’ve tried GP So many times and for some dumb reason it wont go to DFU!!! Its soo stupid! I have done everything! No matter what it always tells me to try again, for some reason i think im doing it rong but i follow the directions exactly when they are tellin me to

Leave the instructions which GP tell you. Just connect your iPod to your PC or Mac and use this video tutorial http://youtu.be/bITIiGswjFI Make sure when you follow this tutorial, your iDevice should be connected to your computer. Once your iPod is in DFU mode, then start GreenPois0n.

Gail Bouknight-Davis5 years, 6 months ago

I simply cannot open the compressed redsn0w file?

Right-click on it and choose “Extract Here”

jose5 years, 9 months ago

Do sb know how long take to reboot?… i’m stuck with the downlading jailbreak screen for so long….?

Emad5 years, 10 months ago

I have 3G and just jailed break it as above to ios 4.2.1, wonderful no lock nothing .

Thanks alot

Edson5 years, 10 months ago

I installed everything. I did the redsn0w. i did the DFU, but it doesnt reboot…
    what Im doing is the first reboot….. it just doesnt reboot.

Iphone 3G, 8Gb, 4.2.1, Baseband 05.15
    windoes 7, itunes 10.1

muhammad5 years, 10 months ago

:) thank u very much for ur help :)

muhammad5 years, 10 months ago

my iphone is new 4g model:mc603za firmware:02.10.04 if i did that will it work and the beasband i dont have to unlock it ??? beacuse the unlock is not yet releasd so i just want to make sure its not locked from apple so that i can use it easly and with out problems

Whats your current firmware version?

muhammad5 years, 10 months ago

4.1(8B117)

This guide will upgrade your iPhone baseband to 03.10.01 which is not unlockable using current version of Ultrasn0w. If you want to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4, you can use Limera1n. If you want to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on your iPhone 4, it will not only upgrade your baseband but it will also be a semi-tethered jailbreak. So better avoid it until iPhone Dev-Team releases official PwnageTool to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 4.