iH8sn0w has just released his much awaited Sn0wbreeze tool to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G, Apple TV 2G and iPad iOS 3.2.2 on Windows. This step-by-step guide will explain you how you can use Sn0wbreeze 2.1 to create custom IPSW of iOS 4.1/3.2.2 so that you can jailbreak your iDevice without upgrading its baseband version.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 & iOS 3.2.2 on Windows with Sn0wbreeze 2.1:
*Find download links at the end of post.
Note: Throughout the guide below, I am assuming that you want to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4. However if you want to jailbreak iOS 4.1 & iOS 3.2.2 on other iDevices, you can follow the same steps.
- *Download and install iTunes 10.1
- *Download Sn0wbreeze 2.1 and install .NET Framework 3.5
- *Download iOS 4.1 firmware for iPhone 4 (iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw)
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes to backup your contacts, apps, music, photos and other important data.
- Place iOS 4.1 IPSW for iPhone 4 (iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw) and Sn0wbreeze 2.1 (sn0wbreeze-2.1.exe) on your desktop.
- Double-click sn0wbreeze-2.1.exe to launch Sn0wbreeze 2.1. Click OK button to ignore the warning message and Next button to proceed to next step.
- Now Sn0wbreeze will prompt for IPSW file, click Browse button to locate iOS 4.1 IPSW for iPhone 4 you downloaded in step 3.
- Wait while Sn0wbreeze process and verify the firmware file.
- Once verification is done, Sn0wbreeze will detect your device automatically. Click on the Next button to continue.
- Choose Expert Mode and click on the Next button.
- Select General tab and click on the Next button.
- Choose "Activate The iPhone [Hactivate]" and "Install SSH" from the options and click on the Next button. All other options are optional, select them if you want to enable background wallpaper, battery percentage or want to enable native multitasking on your device.
- If you don't rely on an unlock, skip to step 15 else click on the Next button to download and install Ultrasn0w unlock tool.
- Choose "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com" from the drop-down list and click on the Refresh button. Select Ultrasn0w from the available packages and click on the Download button to download the package. When download is complete, click on the Next button to continue.
- Click on "Build IPSW" button to start creating custom IPSW of iOS 4.1 for iPhone 4.
- Wait while Sn0wbreeze creates iOS 4.1 custom IPSW for your iPhone 4.
- Once done, you can find iOS 4.1 custom IPSW file (sn0wbreeze_iPhone 4-4.1.ipsw) on your desktop.
How to Restore iOS 4.1 Custom IPSW File with iTunes:
Put your iPhone in DFU mode. To do that just hold Power and the Home button for exactly 10 seconds and then release Power button but keep holding Home until iTunes detect your iPhone in Recovery Mode.
On the summary page, hold down the SHIFT key on keyboard and press Restore button. You will be asked to choose the firmware file you want to restore, choose the custom IPSW file of iOS 4.1 you just created with Sn0wbreeze. If you are a Mac OS X user, use the ALT+Restore combo to choose the firmware file.
Now wait until iTunes restores the custom cooked iOS 4.1 IPSW on your iPhone. If you see iTunes error 1004 or 1015 during the restore, don't panic because the firmware restore on your device is now complete. All you need is to kick your device out of recovery mode by using RecBoot or TinyUmbrella software.
Download Sn0wbreeze 2.1 for Windows | Mirror (MediaFire)
Download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Download iOS 4.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G and iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G.
Download iOS 3.2.2 for iPad (Wifi+3G)
Download iTunes 10.1 Final for Windows & Mac OS X