How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

This step-by-step guide will explain you how to set up ADB for your Android phone on Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. For those who don't know, ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge, a handy tool that comes with Android SDK which allows you to control and interface with your Android device.

Steps to Set Up ADB on Windows 7 for Android Phones:

1. Download latest version of Android SDK from here.
  2. Download and install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from here or Java Development Kit (JDK) from from here if you want to develop Android apps as well.
  3. Extract the zip file (android-sdk_r07-windows.zip) you downloaded in step 1 to (C:) drive such that android-sdk-windows directory in (C:) drive contains SDK Manager.exe.
  4. Android SDK Windows How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

5. Click on Available Packages from the left panel and select USB Driver Package, revision 3 from the right panel.
  6. Android SDK and AVD Manager How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

7. Click on Install Selected button, accept the License Agreement and let SDK Manager download the USB drivers for your phone. Click Close button when done.
  8. Installing Archives How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

For Windows 7/Vista Users:

9. Navigate to My Computer (Icon)->Properties (Link)->Advanced System Settings (Link)->Advanced (Tab)->Environment Variables (Button)->System variables (Section)->Path (Variable)-> Edit (Button)-> Variable value. Enter the following value as shown in the screenshot.
  10. C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

Android SDK Path Set How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

For Windows XP Users:

11. Navigate to My Computer (Icon)->Properties (Link)->Advanced (Tab)->Environment Variables (Button)->System variables (Section)->Path (Variable)-> Edit (Button)-> Variable value. Enter the following value as shown in the screenshot.
  12. C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

Windows XP Android SDK Path How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

13. Connect your phone in USB debugging mode and let the Windows install the USB drivers for your device.
  14. Thats it! You are done. Open command prompt and type adb devices to see the list of devices attached to your computer or type adb shell to go into adb shell mode.
  15. ADB Shell How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

If you have any confusion in following the above procedure, feel free to ask it in comments.

Highly Recommended Windows Posts:

gustavo ruiz1 year, 8 months ago

hey i followed all the steps.adb shows on my command prompt .the only problem im having is when i type adb devices it doesnt show my android, and debugging is on.

paris1 year, 10 months ago

okay so im doing this so i can download a app on my phone to take screen shots… will i be able to if i do all these steps here??

jan@wippra.nl2 years ago

everthing works till i in the shell modeshell@android:/ $ suwhen i put the su commandit comes with/system/bin/sh: su: not found127:shell@android:/ $can you help me

Mason T3 years, 2 months ago

I just installed the most recent version of the SDk and i have used the refresh button and re-downloaded it but I can’t get the USB Drive Package Revision 3 to appear for install any help?

Bruno S3 years, 4 months ago

Hey there,

I just followed all your steps. However, I had to download Revision 4 of the USB Driver, and that I did. I set the paths for the environment variables. However, I had to put the ‘platform-tools’ directory in the environment variables instead of just ‘tools’ directory. I have connected my phone and ran the adb devices command on command prompt but it doesn’t show up. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 running on Gingerbread. I have set the Debugging mode as on in the Development section of the settings. What am I doing wrong ?

JoeyG3 years, 6 months ago

Cant get Usb drive package revision 3 to show up in available packages. Any solutions?

mario3 years, 7 months ago

i followed all the steps but cant get it to work, all i get is “list of devices attached” any help would be appreciated

Make sure your phone is connected to your PC via USB cable in “USB Debugging Mode”

Mario3 years, 6 months ago

I got it to work thanks, but now when i download the root files froxda and modmymobile there is nothing on them and my antivirus kicks in and prompts me to delete the files. I have a motorola defy on tmobile

adrian3 years, 7 months ago

I did all of the above instructions and whenever I go into cmd and type “adb devices” it doesn’t give me my phones serial number nor can I execute any commands. Any suggestions? I’m using a CDMA Hero.

Simply type adb ? on command prompt to test if your ADB settings are fine or not?