Geohot released Limera1n for Mac OS X last night. Like Windows version, Limera1n for Mac OS X can jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4, 3GS (Old+New Bootrom), iPod Touch 4G, 3G and iPad. As Limera1n do not support iOS 4.1 jailbreak on iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G, you can use this PwnageTool to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G and Redsn0w (Win | Mac) to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPod Touch 2G.
NOTE: If you rely on an unlocked iPhone, do no update to iOS 4.1 directly as it'll also upgrade your baseband which is yet to be unlocked with upcoming version of Ultrasn0w. Either use TinyUmbrella (Only for iPhone 4) to upgrade to iOS 4.1 without upgrading your baseband or wait for PwnageTool to jailbreak iOS 4.1 directly on your device while preserving the baseband of your device.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on Mac OS X with Limera1n Tool:
- Download Limera1n for Mac OS X from here.
- Make sure you have latest version of iTunes installed. If you are jailbreaking iPhone or iPod Touch, it should be on stock iOS 4.1 and if you are jailbreaking iPad, it should be on stock iOS 3.2.2.
- Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to your PC via USB cable and sync it with iTunes to backup all data on your device.
- Launch Limera1n.exe
- Click on make it ra1n button. Limera1n will now put your device into recovery mode.
- Once your device is in recovery mode, you'll see the following image on its screen.
- Now hold Home+Power buttons simultaneously and keep your eye on the Limera1n tool.
- Release the Power button as soon as you see the following message on Limera1n window but keep holding the Home button.
- Hold the Home button until Limera1n detects your device in DFU mode.
- Wait while Limera1n jailbreaks your device. Once its done, you will see the following confirmation messages.
- Turn on your device and you'll see Limera1n app installed on your iDevice. Open Limera1n app and install Cydia from it. You may uninstall the Limera1n app once Cydia has been successfully installed on your device.
Unlock iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4, 3GS (Old+New Bootrom):
iPhone 3GS users with older basebands or iPhone 4 users who updated iOS 4.1 by using TinyUmbrella, can unlock their iPhones using the latest version of Ultrasn0w. Download Ultrasn0w 1.1-1 from here and follow the step-by-step instructions here to unlock your iPhone running jailbroken iOS 4.1.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback