iH8sn0w's iREB v4.0.x/4.1 tool allows you to bypass all 16xx (1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604), 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes error during iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 or 4.1 custom IPSW file which you might have created with PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze. iREB puts your iPhone or iPod Touch into temporary jailbroken state so that you can restore custom cooked IPSW file without any restore iTunes error.

iREB v4.0.x/4.1 at the moment is only available for Windows users. Mac version of iREB v4.0.x/4.1 will be released soon.
iREB Logo How to Use iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 to Bypass 16xx, 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes Restore Error?

Devices Supported by iREB v4.0.x/4.1:

» iPhone 2G
» iPhone 3G
» iPod Touch 1G
» iPod Touch 2G [MB]

How to Use iREB v4.0.x/4.1:

1. Download iREB v4.0.x/4.1 from here.
  2. Connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to your PC and make sure your device is in OFF state.
  3. Launch iREB-4.0.x-4.1.exe and you will see two modes i-e Online Mode (Internet Connection Required) and Offline Mode (3.1.2 IPSW Required).
  4. iReb 4.0.x 4.1 by iH8sn0w 11 How to Use iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 to Bypass 16xx, 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes Restore Error?

5. If you have internet connection then don't bother to use "Offline Mode" and click on "Online Mode" button. Incase you don't have got active internet connection, use offline mode. You will need iPhone OS 3.1.2 stock IPSW file which you can download from here.
  6. Click on Online Mode (Internet Connection Required) button, select your iDevice and iREB will ask you to put your iPhone or iPod Touch into DFU mode. To do so, just hold down the Power and Home button simultaneously for 10 seconds and then release the Power button, but keep holding the Home button until iREB detects your phone into recovery mode.
  7. iReb 4.0.x 4.1 by iH8sn0w 21 How to Use iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 to Bypass 16xx, 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes Restore Error?
    iReb 4.0.x 4.1 by iH8sn0w 3 How to Use iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 to Bypass 16xx, 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes Restore Error?

8. Now iREB will do the following series of automated steps, just wait and don't do anything silly while iREB do the rest for you.
    • Downloading Essentials...
    • Extracting Resources...
    • Creating Payload...
    • Patching iBBC...
    • Uploading WTF...
    • Uploading iBBC...
    • *Waiting for iBSS...
    • Pawing iBSS...
    • Uploading iBEC...
    • Waiting for iBEC...
    • Setting up iBEC...
    • Done! :)

iReb 4.0.x 4.1 by iH8sn0w 4 How to Use iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 to Bypass 16xx, 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes Restore Error?

9. Just launch iTunes and restore the custom IPSW file. Now you won't encounter any error while restoring the firmware.
  10. iReb 4.0.x 4.1 by iH8sn0w 5 How to Use iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 to Bypass 16xx, 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes Restore Error?

iREB v4.0.x/4.1 Video Demo

Note: If iREB stucks at Waiting for iBSS step, just make sure to open iTunes before step 2 and then proceed normally to step 3. This problem only occurs when your iTunes don't launch itself automatically when you plugin your iDevice to your PC.

Update#1: Download iREB v4.0.x/4.1/4.2.1 RC3 to fix iTunes 1015 & 16xx error during iOS 4.2.1 custom IPSW restore. Supports Verizon iPhone 4 and fixes 'Waiting for iBSS' problem on iPhone 3G.

Be Sure to Check Out:

erahfe2 years, 10 months ago

hello i cant download ur site could pls give direct download for ireb v4.0x/4.1…pls help me

Karim2 years, 11 months ago

Hi I am having a problem with iREB being stuck at Waiting for iBSS step. I tried opening i tunes first as suggested and still no luck. Any suggestions?

How did you get here? Did you restore your device to an iOS for which you did not have any SHSH saved for?

Cherry3 years, 3 months ago

I thought I was so close. I got the green screen and it told me I could restore it then. But I got error 1611. Help???

You’ll experience 16xx errors if you do not put your iDevice in a Pwned DFU mode. Follow this guide http://bit.ly/kD7saY to put your iPod in the Pwned DFU mode and restore the same via iTunes. Your restore will work just fine. Hope this helps. :)

Daz3 years, 5 months ago

Hi

I have just created a ipsw file using Sn0wbreeze and have uploaded it using itunes. When phone is restarted it is locked to emergency calls.

I have entered a vaild SIM card but still says the same thing
    I have tried this twice selecting the Activate option once and then do not activate on the building procedure.

I still get the same problem both times

I cannot get into the phone

Help please !!

Recreate custom IPSW again and choose “Hacktivate” option under “Advanced Mode->General”

Shuaibu3 years, 7 months ago

Hi, Am using A 3G iPhone on a firmware 4.0.2 which has been downgraded to firmware 3.1.3. Now I tried to upgrade to 4.2.1 costume firmware through iTunes with 1015 error result. My phone is in recovery mode now, and am tired of that error keep on showing on that costume upgrade. Please any other help is appreciated because I have tried all methods, error fixer, ireb,i8Hsn0w, easyiRecovery and tinyumbrellar. All to no avail, am still facing the same problem. Please help me out. Thanks.

Zaki3 years, 8 months ago

i installed the new release of iREB and it worked well and my iphone 3g 3.1.3 turned green in color according to description.
    When i try restoring custom firmware (3.1.3) via itunes it gets stuck in the process of restoring firwmware and my iphone screen gets a logo of itunes and cable means its in the restore mode then error pops up “1603″. It shouldnt have poped up as i already used iREB.
    Please help its more than 12 hours for me to get stuck on this thing.. :((

OS3 years, 8 months ago

I am really clueless. I have iPod touch 1G. its stuck in recovery mode and wont recover. I just need it to run, i dont want no custom firmware. I got original 1G firmware but its not working.
    I am trying restoring from iTunes in recovery and DFU mode with original firmware… nothing helps, the process always fail when on the screen with progress bar, i can see it move a little bit and then it drops to recovery mode. i get error 28, sometimes 1600 or 1604 (in DFU mode).
    I tried iREB but the whole process fails at the beginning and it says Download Essentials failed.

OS3 years, 8 months ago

and yes I have steady internet connection.

dillon3 years, 8 months ago

same problem here with ipod touch 1g.my guess is that ipod touch 1g is more complex for them and couldnt figure it out and just said they did lol

SBI-boy3 years, 8 months ago

I have the same problem than Yogesh, IREB it’s getting stuck and showing error “Download Failed”, and yes, my internet connection is working well, i dont know why im gettin this error, any solution, please??

Milan Malinovski3 years, 9 months ago

I wrote: “In the morning the phone was back in DFU mode (the battery was full). But now nothing can make the screen turn on again. I complete the tethered boot with redsm0w, but nothing appears on the screen. Itunes even recognizes it as a restored and updated iphone4 (it suggests to upgrade to 4.2 though). So on the PC it looks like I completed a tethered jailbreak to 4.1, but on my iphone I just have a black screen!
    This is really starting to annoy me. Is the screen broken? The only way I can think of that could test this would be to upgrade to 4.2.1?!”

Itunes says the connected iphone is 4.1 and TinyUmbrella says also 4.1 and that the installed baseband version is 02.10.04-ICE_2_8

There is nothing wrong with the screen of your iPhone, seems like you are stuck in DFU mode. Just connect your iPhone to your PC/Mac and hold down the Power and Home button simultaneously until your iPhone kicks itself out of DFU mode.

PS: When your iPhone is connected to iTunes, if it displays info about the current firmware on your device and your iPhone screen is still black, i can assure there is something wrong with the screen in that case as iTunes never shows the firmware version when iPhone is connected in DFU or recovery mode.

milmal3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for your reply.
        So the screen must be broken…

milmal3 years, 9 months ago

I have downloaded the file, thanx!
    What IP should I use?
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com gives error, that update server is unavailable.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com gives error 3194
    Other ones I can try?
    -milmal

According to Saurik, 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com should have worked. If you are getting 3194, it means you haven’t saved the SHSH blobs of iOS 4.1.

milmal3 years, 9 months ago

That is odd. Before I did anything else, I saved a SHSH in TinyUmbrella. That should be enough no? If I start the TSS server I do not get error 3194. Do you think the screen is broken?
        -milmal

Nopz! Error 3194 means iTunes failed to find SHSH blobs of iOS 4.1. Just restore stock iOS 4.2.1 on your iPhone 3GS and jailbreak it with Redsn0w.

Milan Malinovski3 years, 9 months ago

I have iphone4. Should I auto-upgrade through itunes or download stock 4.2.1 and shift-upgrade. Do you think the screen is broken?

Well it depends upon the version of your current baseband, if it is already updated to 05.15.04, then you should not hesitate to restore stock 4.2.1 because there is no way back now. Download stock iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 4 and restore it using Shift+Restore combo in iTunes. I am not sure what you mean by screen is broken?

Yogesh3 years, 9 months ago

Hi

I have 2G phone and i am using firmware 3.1.2 now as per your process when i am trying to run IREB its getting stuck and showing error “Download Failed” can you pls tell me why this error is coming and pls tell me the solution pls……

Thanks!!!1

Make sure you have an active internet connection as iREB download the essential files online and then pwns your iDevice.

Jay V3 years, 4 months ago

I am using this as I got a 1600 error from itunes after through tiny umbrella prior to it as I got a 3194 error.

my internet was connected, but it failed to download essentials for my 3G. What else is the option for getting out of 1600 error?

I used both iREB 4.0.x-4.1-RC2 & iREB-r4.

sroghen3 years, 9 months ago

My iphone 4 is stuck in DFU mode. I have the SHSH and can downgrade and upgrade to any ios 4.0.1 and 4.1. But the phone does not get out of DFU after downgrade and upgrade.

Each time before upgrade/downgrade I have to use IReb or Redsnow to pwned the iphone to DFU mode else I get an error 1600-1604.

I have run out of ideas what to try.

Make sure your iPhone is in DFU mode (not Recovery mode). Then use iREB to put it in semi-pwned mode. Then restore iOS 4.1 stock IPSW (If you don’t want to preserve baseband) or find iOS 4.1 custom IPSW for iPhone 4 and restore it to preserve your baseband.

milmal3 years, 9 months ago

I think I have the same problem as sroghen. My iphone 4 was delivered with 4.1. The saved SHSH in tinyumbrella says that the baseband version was 02.10.04.
        I tried to install a custom 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze, first without tinyumbrella-4.21.01 running TSS server and later with the TSS server running. In both situations I would get errors before the update even begun (error 1600). Then I tried to use ireb to get in DFU mode and update the custom firmware from itunes. This kind of worked. I got the snowflake and it finished the update process, but after that, it was still in DFU and has been stuck in DFU mode since then. I have also tried to update with a unmodified IOS 4.1 (http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-7939.20100908.Lcyg3/iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw) without any improvements.
        As with sroghen; Each time before upgrade/downgrade I have to use IReb to get the iphone in DFU mode else I get an error 1600. Also I must have the TSS server running or it gives me another error.
        I really don’t know how to solve this! Can someone please help?

-milmal

milmal3 years, 9 months ago

Should I try to upgrade to 4.2.1? (thought I would wait with that until there comes a unlockable, untethered jailbreak).
          Should I go to apple dealer and get them to repair it/exchange it to a new phone?

-milmal

Do not upgrade to iOS 4.2.1 until Comex releases his untethered jailbreak hack (Expected before Christmas)

You only need SHSH blobs if you are downgrading the firmware for jailbreaking purpose. So there is no need to use TinyUmbrella when downgrading from iOS 4.1 to iOS 4.1. However when restoring custom IPSW, you do need to use iREB to avoid errors. If you want to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4, just restore to stock iOS 4.1 IPSW and jailbreak it with Limera1n or Greenpois0n. Cheers!

Milan Malinovski3 years, 9 months ago

Hi Wolverine
            Thanx for your reply!
            Ok I will not upgrade to 4.2.1, but having a locked/bricked phone until then will be very hard…
            I used TinyUmbrella because otherwise I would get error 3194, before the update itself even begins.
            I tried some new stuff last night out of desperation and some of it seemed to give some progress; I tried limera1n, greenpois0n and redsn0w. Limera1n didn’t work, I get to “in DFU mode…wait” and it stays there. I don’t remember exactly what Greenpois0n did(it was very late), but I think it loaded some text on the screen and then went back to DFU mode. I had more luck with redsn0w 0.9.6b6 and a stock 4.1. I selected “Just boot tethered right now” and I could see that it started up on my iphone, I think with a pineapple logo. The iphone successfully started up (tethered) and I could restore my backup. I did not get any reception though, the same situation as when it was still locked to one of the official carriers here in Denmark, while I was using a sim-card from an unofficial carrier. I tried to request a unlock on the website of the official carrier (you enter the IMEI and it says it sends the request to Apple). At this time I went to bed happy and hopeful. In the morning the phone was back in DFU mode (the battery was full). But now nothing can make the screen turn on again. I complete the tethered boot with redsm0w, but nothing appears on the screen. Itunes even recognizes it as a restored and updated iphone4 (it suggests to upgrade to 4.2 though). So on the PC it looks like I completed a tethered jailbreak to 4.1, but on my iphone I just have a black screen!
            Hope to hear from you
            -milmal

Assuming that you have SHSH blobs saved for iOS 4.1, try restoring this custom IPSW of iOS 4.1 which will jailbreak your iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1. As far as carrier is concerned, you need to wait for 02.10.04 baseband unlock.

Make sure to edit your Windows/Mac HOSTS file before restoring and point it to Saurik server. Also use iREB to avoid 16xx errors!

Wessel3 years, 9 months ago

Hi, I have an iPhone 3g currently firmware is 4.0.2 and I want to go back to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 because its verry slow. I tried the downgrade from lifehack but the recboot doesn’t work when I get the error. I just get the recovery mode and every time I try to restore I just get an 1015 error. Can somebody please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Its very easy. Download stock iOS 3.1.2 for iPhone 3G from here and restore it through iTunes. You will need to use iREB first to put your iPhone into semi-jailbroken state to avoid restore errors. Once done, go to blackra1n.com, download and use it to have untethered jailbreak of iPhone OS 3.1.2 on your iPhone 3G. After jailbreak, use Ultrasn0w to unlock your device!

itoff3 years, 9 months ago

hey successful 4.1-installers

thanx so much for all ur different experiences and problems while installing. i just now managed to successfully finish installing iOS 4.1 on my 3G 8GB, not provider-free.

my experience now was: when creating the custom .ipsw with sn0wbreeze v2.0.2, don’t check the hook (checkmark) for hacktivating (when u configure your .ipsw in sn0wbreeze under “general”). i didn’t check anything there, and then the restore in iTunes worked just fine, and i didn’t get the error 1604 anymore (which i got all the times before).

other than that: just stick to this manual (top of the thread) precisely!

good luck to everyone who’s not finished yet…

Breaban3 years, 9 months ago

Hy, i have a problem. I have installed 4.1 using iReb, and after instalation…after restarting the phone gets stuck with the snowflake logo and it doesn`t to anything. what can i do?

jenish3 years, 10 months ago

Both are not working???? Plzzz any other help & how to install Game Center on my iPhone 3G?

Please join or Facebook fan page for further queries. A lot of experts are online there 24/7 to help our members. Thanks!

jenish3 years, 10 months ago

I have iphone 3g running ios 4.1 jailbreaked with snowbreeze ..& my pus notifications are not working….what to do plZzzz help..any help will be appreciated…plZzz help???

Juan Miguel3 years, 10 months ago

hellow

Guys i’d found my solution on how to restore the iphone 3G 4.1 custom firmware using snowbreeze 2.0 and IREB, this is very simple if u encountered the error 1611 etc or waiting for iBSS this what u have to do …. install the latest ver. of itunes 10 then plug in ur iphone, then turn ur iphone into DFU mode after it open the IREB take note do not open the IRED FIRST because if u do that you will be stuck on the waiting IBSS .. once the DFU mode is now operate .. then run the IREB then your problem will be solve … then the itunes will ask you to restore ur iphone the hold down the shift button and choose the newly cooked custom 4.1 FIRMware and have a tea cup of coffe hehehe sorry for my bad english

Mickey3 years, 10 months ago

I have iphone 3g, Ive been tryin to load a snowbreeze custom firmware I created, but after doing all the steps above with Ireb, I still get error 1603. Please help someone!!!

Yomi3 years, 10 months ago

I have tried everything here, and followed all the steps systematically a number of times. However iREB is still stuck on “Waiting for iBSS”. My iPhone 2G is still blank and iTunes is open and has detected my iPhone to be in recovery mode.

What to do?

Find the solution by “DensityDuck” in the above comments!

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

alright i’ll talk to you there. i’ll send a message, are you going to reply or other person?
    I just installed different themes but it’s pointless to have it as my iphone wont recieve any calls or messages. so i guess i have to restore it through iTunes till the new Ultrasn0w comes out and do it all over again..

Yes i am admin there. Well restore will be of no use now because the baseband upgradation is permanent. Downgrading your firmware do not downgrade your baseband version. So wait is the only option.

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

Hey i have done all the steps but dont know what to do when i get the “Waiting for custom Firmware” on my iPhone 3g 4.1

Please help

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

I think i got it to work my iPhone is on and i have cydia now! But 1. i got a pop-up on my iTunes saying: “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000065).”
      2.My network sign is gone it used to say “O2-UK” but now it doesn’t say anything :/ ?

I feel like im soo close! please help me out.

Restore the custom IPSW through iTunes.

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

I did. I clicked on Shift + left clicked on restore then i clicked on “sn0wbreeze_iPhone 3G-4.1″ and it extracted. Now i have cydia but 1. i got a pop-up on my iTunes saying: “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000065).”

I feel like im soo close! please help me out.

Check this link for the solution http://bit.ly/cO91I8

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

what about the “No Service” sign on my network? what do you think i should do to fix that?

Install Ultrasn0w, it’ll fix that.

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, i did what you told me i Installed Ultrasn0w but now it’s stuck only saying “Searching…” any advice?

You need to restart your cell. If that doesn’t works, uninstall Ultrasn0w and install Carrier Logo Fixer via Cydia.

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

when i go to Settings>General>About i get: Network “Not Available”
            iPhone 3g v4.1 (8B117)
            Carrier O2 8.0
            Modle M496B
            Modem Firmware 05.14.02
            (using Windows)

i did restart my iphone but still i got the “searching…” then after awhile “No Service”..

Ok so i removed Ultrasn0w from cydia and then i went to cydia and searched after “Carrier Logo Fixer” downloaded it then i restarted my iPhone again but now it’s not saying anything not even “searching…”

Im soooo close! :( please help me to complete this. Thanks.

I am sorry but your baseband is unlockable at the moment. You need to wait for iOS 4.2 now. The current version of Ultrasn0w cannot unlock your device.

Rebin3 years, 10 months ago

Oh right :( so how long do you think i need to wait?
            and how come other iphone 3g v4.1 have their iphone jailbroken? i can wait for the unlock to come out but i just wanted to jailbreak my iphone for now so that i could change themes..im currently using the sim card i got when i bought my iphone 3g and im not visiting any other country or changing my network for now so i can wait for the for the unlocking part as it’s not ready.

The unlock will be out in November. As your phone is already jailbroken, so all you need is to install new version of Ultrasn0w when its released. When you have Cydia installed on your iPhone, you can install different themes on it through WinterBoard app. You might like to ask other questions on our Facebook fan page for quick reply http://www.facebook.com/Jaxov

skyline423 years, 10 months ago

hey i this thing on my iphone 3g but when i restor they told me that ::the iphone could not be restored an unknown error occurred 17 plz tell me what i do :-{

Robert3 years, 10 months ago

Hi! i have a problem here, i have an iPhone 3G , now is in recovery mode, but it still stucks in Waiting for iBSS and white screen on phone. If i try the original IPSW for 3.1.3 i got the 2002 error . What can i do ? Thank you!

Your iPhone is somehow not connected to your PC directly. Make sure its plugged in the USB port of your computer (not to any switch or hub).

Robb3 years, 10 months ago

It is connected at USB port ! An now its still stucks there.

Start iTunes first and let it detect your iPhone. Launch iREB and then follow the above procedure.

Robb3 years, 10 months ago

hmmm… nothing … tried this…

Benji3 years, 10 months ago

now my iphone isnt coming up in itunes as if it isnt connected

Connect your iPhone to your PC and start iTunes. Make sure your iPhone is completely OFF. Hold down the “Home” + “Power” button simultaneously for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds, release the “Power” button but keep holding the “Home” button until iTunes detect your iPhone in DFU (Recovery) mode. And remember, it is almost impossible to brick your iPhone until you loose the battery power during restore etc.

Benji3 years, 10 months ago

not sure that my last reply was posted. I’m going to try the stock 3.1.2 thanks for the quick reply

Benji3 years, 10 months ago

Im using an iphone 3g version 4.1 it failed and now when i click restore it tries then i get this error 1611. right now my phone is useless

Not sure why are you still getting error 1611 even after using iREB. Anyhow you can always restore stock iPhone OS 3.1.2 IPSW without getting any errors and then jailbreak it with Blackra1n. You don’t need to have your SHSH blobs saved in that case.

lex3 years, 10 months ago

I have a iphone 3g ios4 with 5.13.04 bb and i want to upgrade to ios4.1 I’ve tried all the different ways posted and I always get itunes error. I need to preserve bb for unlock. Help please!

What iTunes error you are getting? Error code?

Nate3 years, 11 months ago

I think I found my answer:

Nate3 years, 11 months ago

I was able to jailbreak my iphone 3gs 4.1ios with sn0breeze in conjunction with the ih8sn0w ireb tool. When I try using my tmobile sim card I have no luck. I have tried ultrasn0w through cydia but am having no luck with the sim card still. Any ideas?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Nate

Whats your baseband version?

Nate3 years, 10 months ago

4.1, i have the MB model so cydia is working fine, still having issues getting the sim provisioned for tmobile though.

Nate3 years, 10 months ago

05.14.02

If you have jailbroken your iPhone 3GS with Sn0wbreeze on iOS 4.1, it should have preserved your baseband version. As you have said that your baseband version is 05.14.02, it means either you have accidentally updated to stock iOS 4.1 or you have not used Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool. Now you need to wait for 05.14.02 baseband unlock until iPhone Dev-Team releases updated version of Ultrasn0w.

nate3 years, 10 months ago

I used sn0wbreeze and the iREB 4.1 but not PwnageTool, I bought the phone with 4.1 so there was no way to go back to any other version.

So I guess I will wait for an updated version of ultrasn0w as you stated. Thanks for the quick reply, your help is greatly appreciated.

If you can think of another idea I am all ears…

- Nate

jenish3 years, 11 months ago

i have windows 7 soo pls give solution for windows 7 plss reply thanks for above reply…..plss help

Are you on official carrier or you are using unlocked device?

jenish3 years, 11 months ago

No i m from india. I use unlock device but i havent unlocked it yet. Pls help…

GGG3 years, 11 months ago

Hello, now I’m stuck :)
    I’ve created a custom 4.1 firmware on my mac using pwnagetool and upgraded my iphone 3G. Everything went fine, but later, after installing some packages (ultrasn0w, sbsettings, appsync) i was unable to sync data with mac, because every time i connected iphone to mac, iphone continiously keeped restarting.

Then I reset all settings in my iphone, and now the phone does not boot (it shows apple symbol all the time).

Tried iREB 4.0.x/4.1 windows – everything seems to go ok, except:
    1) on pc I get a flash player error (i don’t think it’s significant)
    2) on the last step, my phone does not show picture Waiting for custom firmware
    3) I tried installing custom 4.1, and itunes keeps showing 1604

Any ideas?

I created iOS 4.1 custom IPSW using PwnageTool bundles (not PwnageTool 4.1) and restored it through iTunes without even a single error, didn’t even used iREB. My iPhone 3G is now running jailbroken iOS 4.1 without any issues. I would recommend you to give PwnageTool bundles a try.

jenish3 years, 11 months ago

I jailbroke my iphone3g on 4.1 everything went fine but when my iphone is restored it says”an unknown error occurred while connecting to iphone,itunes could not connect to this iphone”what happen Plzzzzzzzzzz helpppp?? Plzzzz

1. Open iTunes.
      2. Select the iPhone under Devices on the left side.
      3. Click the Music tab.
      4. Under the Sync music option, choose Selected playlists.
      5. Uncheck the Voice Memos playlist.
      6. Click Apply.

jenish3 years, 11 months ago

It is not showing any devices tab. when i connect my iphone to PC, iTunes opens and says “itunes could not connect to this iphone because an unknown error occured(0xE8000065). Plzzzzz help me with this & thanks for the above reply…plzzz help????????????

Your iPhone has been jailbroken successfully, its the issue with your iTunes only. Try re-installing iTunes again or plug your iPhone to different PC.

jenish3 years, 11 months ago

I tried it on another laptop & still it is giving same error….What do i do???plzzz reply…thanks for the above ones????

@jenish Have you got a mac? You can use PwnageTool bundles to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G. I have tested it and it 100% works. I have no sync issues either.

Sayne3 years, 10 months ago

Had the same problem. Fixed it by restarting my iphone XD

jenish3 years, 11 months ago

Thanks a lot it really helped me.

kris3 years, 11 months ago

You need to have your shsh blobs when restoring to 4.0.x. Why dont you create 4.1 CFW with sn0wbreeze? That’s what i did on my 3G.

My iPhone 3G is already on iOS 4.1 jailbroken with PwnageTool, i always save iOS 4.1 custom IPSW on my local hard disk and restore it whenever i need to.

ll3 years, 11 months ago

I have iPhone 3G
    firmware 3.1.3 (7E18)
    baseband 05.12.01

I want to update to 4.0.1 but iTunes gives error message during the verify update with Apple process.
    I can’t find a solution.

Can I use iREB to solve this? If I still have to use iTunes will it still try to verify with Apple?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

iPhone 3G don’t need SHSH blobs so there should be no verification from the Apple side. Can your provide me with the error details? i-e error code etc…?

ll3 years, 11 months ago

Error code 3194 during verification with Apple. The website says this could be firewall/proxy error etc, so I already removed my firewall, closed antivirus and removed proxy settings from internet explorer.

And thanks for that quick response!

mike3 years, 11 months ago

Ok now i got ireb to work by cooking another 4.1 ipsw with snowbreeze. although i didnt get the screen ready for custom firmware with ireb but it did say it was done with a black screen ony, i tried restoring itunes but its giving me error 21. now what do i do. please help

mihir3 years, 4 months ago

To Remove errors like 21 & 1600. Do followings
      1. Create new Windows user
      2. Run itunes
      3. Run Ireb (For 3GS 4.2.1 download form net)
      4. Enjoy

nicfresh3 years, 11 months ago

Hey there. I just can’t get this to work on my iPhone 3G. I created the custom 4.1 firmware with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 and first I said that I was jailbroken – Failed. Then I tried iREB online mode but didnt get the waiting for custom firmware screen but I continued anyways. Worked but I couldn’t restore from backups and some other errors. Downgraded to 3.1.2 – Jailbroke with Blackra1n, worked perfectly.
    Today I wanted to give it another try. Created a new custom firmware, this time saying that I wasn’t already jailbroken. Sn0wbreeze ran iREB in itself – Done, although again no ‘Waiting for custom firmware’ screen. Restarted the phone and tried again with iREB by its own with iTunes launched before step 2 – Completed but still no ‘Waiting for custom firmware’ screen. I tried the guide from kmunik8 but no success. Are there any other methods I can try?
    Kind Regards.

Yup, i faced the same problem when i was trying to restore the custom IPSW of iOS 4.1 made by Sn0wbreeze. I solved the problem by creating Custom IPSW of iOS 4.1 using PwnageTool. You can follow the guide here. Restoring the custom IPSW made by PwnageTool didn’t even gave me a single error. Give it a try.

Globetrotter3 years, 11 months ago

I am comlpetely stuck at the “Waiting for the iBSS” stage. I’ve tried everything that people have suggested:

1) Have iTunes open before iReb
    2) Have iTunes closed before iReb
    3) DFU after iReb
    4) DFU before iReb
    5) Tried this under Windows XP Pro SP3
    6) Tried under Windows 7
    7) Tried Online Mode
    8) Tried Offline Mode

all to no avail…

I have an iPhone 3G 8GB w/ the iOS4.1 with the latest firmware. Please advise. Thanks.

Reinstall the iTunes because iREB requires iTunes. Thats what i did and it worked.

kmunik83 years, 11 months ago

I got this also. what i did to get beyond this, was to close ITunes, close iReb. [Leave device connected to computer] Open iReb and right when you are told to hold down the power/home buttons, iReb will proceed to go through the steps and then within about 1-2 minutes, iTunes will (should) open automatically, and then your device will show ‘waiting for custom firmware’. At that point, go to iTunes, click ok and click Shift-Restore, select your IPSW file and proceed. Once its done (which will be about 10-15 minutes, you should have cydia on your device, the device should say ‘iphone is activated’ and now you would go into Cydia and complete its updates. Iphone 3G is jailbroken 4.1 and unlocked.. i tested it on my 3G.. working flawlessly.

spongebob3 years, 11 months ago

Thanks so much!!!! this was the only advice that worked for me after several weeks of futile search! two thumbs up!!!

DensityDuck3 years, 11 months ago

Same here. I’ve been “waiting for iBSS” for about fifteen minutes now.

I’m not sure what “reinstall the iTunes” would do, since I’ve already upgraded to the latest version. I’m not going to randomly reinstall programs just hoping that I hit the magic button.

DensityDuck3 years, 11 months ago

Aaaand, of course, just after I posted that I got it to work. doh.

The process I wound up following was…

*Plug in phone. (iTunes starts.)
        *Turn phone off.
        *Run iREB. Follow directions on when to push what buttons.
        *Get a message from iTunes about “this phone is in recovery mode”. Ignore it.
        *Get a white screen on the iPhone, with iREB saying “waiting for iBSS”.
        *Close iREB. Push and hold the Power button on the phone until the white screen goes away.
        *Run iREB again. Follow directions on when to push what buttons. This time it worked.

DensityDuck3 years, 11 months ago

Oh, a quick note because I forgot: I never got an “upload firmware” screen. I got a dialog box on the PC from iREB, but I just had a black screen on the iPhone. I was able to shift-click Restore and put in the sn0wbreeze ipsw, though.

ivy3 years, 11 months ago

I tried to jailbreak my 3gs 4.1, after running snowbreeze, I got the 1600 error while trying to restore, and my screen always has the picture of itunes & the plug on. I switch to sleep mode and run iREB, and did exactly the same of what you did, and never got the white screen comming out, always on “waiting for iBSS”. Pls help!

Chris3 years, 10 months ago

iREB doesn’t work for 3GS. Just download limera1n or greepois0n. They’re both much easier jailbreaks anyways.

Sharon3 years, 9 months ago

after it says i can open up itunes and press restore itunes still says the firmware is not compatiable why?

Your iDevice model and firmware version you want to downgrade?

Now new version of iREB works for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS as well.