iPhone Dev-Team has just released PwnageTool 4.1 to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G, Apple TV 2 and iOS 3.2.2 on iPad. Here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak and hacktivate iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4/3GS/3G with PwnageTool 4.1. However same guide can be used to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPod Touch 4G/3G, Apple TV 2 and iOS 3.2.2 on iPad.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS with PwnageTool 4.1:
*Find the download links at the end of post
- *Download and install latest version of iTunes.
- *Download stock iOS 4.1 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G and iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G.
- *Download PwnageTool 4.1.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and sync it with iTunes to backup your contacts, messages, photos etc.
- Place iOS 4.1 firmware file and PwnageTool 4.1 on your desktop.
- Choose the Simple mode. Select your device and hit the blue arrow at the bottom-right corner of PwnageTool window.
- Make sure you have placed .IPSW file of iOS 4.1 on your desktop. PwnageTool will automatically detect the correct firmware for your device. Just incase it don’t delects, switch to Expert mode and click on Browse for IPSW button to locate the IPSW file of iOS 4.1 you downloaded in step 3.
- Now PwnageTool will ask Do you have an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 contract that would activate normally through iTunes?, choose NO else PwngaeTool will upgrade your baseband to 05.14.02 on iPhone 3GS/3G and 2.10.04 on iPhone 4. Both of these basebands are yet to be unlocked with the upcoming version of Ultrasn0w.
- Now PwnageTool will show the final popup after which it will start creating a custom cooked IPSW file on your desktop. Click Yes button to continue.
- Wait for 4-5 mins while PwnageTool creates a custom IPSW file which will be placed on your desktop.
- Once PwnageTool has successfully created custom IPSW of iOS 4.1, use the following steps to put yout iPhone into DFU mode.
- Hold down the Home and Power button for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding your Home button for another 10 seconds.
- Once PwnageTool will detect your iPhone in DFU mode, iTunes will automatically find your iPhone in recovery mode.
How to Restore iOS 4.1 Custom IPSW Through iTunes:
Once you have successfully created the iOS 4.1 custom IPSW through PwnageTool, just put your iPhone in DFU mode and click on the name of the device from the side panel to view the summary page.
Now you will see two buttons, “Check for Updates” and “Restore”. Hold down the ALT key (SHIFT for Windows) and click on the “Restore” button to browse for iOS 4.1 custom IPSW file you just created with PwnageTool 4.1.
Now wait until iTunes restores the custom cooked iOS 4.1 IPSW on your iPhone. If you see iTunes error 1004 or 1015 during the restore, don’t panic because the firmware restore on your device is now complete. All you need is to kick your device out of recovery mode by using RecBoot or TinyUmbrella software.
Download RecBoot from here and use the guidelines here to kick your device out from recovery mode. Incase RecBoot fails, you can always try the new TinyUmbrella v4.1.9 to kick your device out from recovery mode.
Unlock iPhone 4, 3GS & 3G with Ultrasn0w:
After jailbreaking your device with PwnageTool, you can unlock your iPhone with the latest version of Ultrasn0w provided that your baseband is not 05.14.02/2.10.04. To unlock your iPhone, download Ultrasn0w 1.1-1 from here and use the step-by-step guide here to unlock your device.