Chronic Dev-Team has recently released the GreenPois0n tool which now incorporates the bootrom hole used in Limera1n instead of SHAtter exploit. There is not much difference between the Limera1n and GreenPois0n as both uses the same exploit to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS (Old+New Bootrom). Below is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS with GreenPois0n tool.
Note: Those who rely on an unlocked iPhone, do not upgrade to iOS 4.1 directly as it'll also upgrade your baseband which is yet to be unlocked with the upcoming version of Ultrasn0w tool. However you can use TinyUmbrella (Only for iPhone 4) to update iOS 4.1 without upgrading your baseband to 2.10.04.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS with GreenPois0n:
- Download GreenPois0n tool for Windows and Mac here.
- Make sure your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS is on stock iOS 4.1.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer with USB cable.
- Launch greenpois0n.exe and click on the "Prepare to Jailbreak (DFU)" button.
- Now GreenPois0n will help you to put your device in DFU mode. Turn OFF your device completely and get ready to hold the sleep button.
- Hold down the Power button on the top of your iPhone for 2 seconds.
- While holding the Power button, press Home button for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 15 seconds.
- Once GreenPois0n will detect your iPhone in DFU mode, you will see the Jailbreak! button. Click on it to start the jailbreaking process.
- Wait while GreenPois0n jailbreaks your device. Don't do anything silly while jailbreak is being applied on your device.
- Once done, click on the Quit button and your iPhone will restart automatically.
- Thats it. Now you will see Loader app installed your iPhone. Use it to install Cydia and then launch Cydia to update its repositories.
GreenPois0n Video Tutorial:
Unlock iPhone 4, 3GS on iOS 4.1 with Ultrasn0w:
Once your iPhone is jailbroken, you can use latest version of Ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone, provided that your iPhone baseband is not 05.14.02 / 2.10.04. You can find step-by-step guide to unlock your iPhone with Ultrasn0w 1-1-1 here.
Update1: How to Jailbreak iPod Touch 4G/3G iOS 4.1 & iPad iOS 3.2.2 with GreenPois0n?
Update2: Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch, Apple TV & iPad with PwnageTool 4.1
Update3: Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G & iPad with Redsn0w
Update4: Guide to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 & iOS 3.2.2 on Windows with Sn0wbreeze 2.1