Yesterday i received Android 2.2.1 (FRG83) update (signed-passion-FRG83-from-FRF91.c8847c98.zip) on my Nexus One OTA. Before applying the update, my Nexus One was running Android 2.2 (FRF91) which was rooted using 1-click Universal Androot utility. Only applying the update via stock Android system recovery, i got "No Signature, Verification Failed Error" error.
After installing Amon_Ra's Recovery image and downloading the (FRG83) update manually, i tried to install the update.zip via Amon_Ra's Recovery but unfortunately again got the same "No Signature, Verification Failed Error" error.
*Above image is for illustration purpose only
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (188 files)
To bypass this "No Signature, Verification Failed Error", you must install ClockworkMod Recovery image.
- Start your Android phone normally and place update.zip in the root of your SD card.
- Go to Android Market, search for ClockworkMod, select ROM Manager from the list and install it.
- Once you have installed the ROM Manager, launch ROM Manager and grant Superuser Permissions to it.
- Click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery to install ClockworkMod Recovery image.
- Choose Reboot into Recovery and ROM Manager will boot you to recovery mode.
- If you'll apply update directly, you'll end up in the following error:
- So choose "install zip from sdcard" option.
- Now first choose "toggle signature verification" to turn off the signature check and then choose "apply sdcard:update.zip".
- Now you'll not see any errors related to signature and you can easily update your software.
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
*Note that this trick worked when i was updating Nexus One from Android 2.2 to Android 2.2.1 on an unlocked bootloader. It may or may not work with the other versions. So if you test it and find it working on any other version, please do mention the update in comments.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback