How to Bypass Android No Signature, Verification Failed Error

Yesterday i received Android 2.2.1 (FRG83) update (signed-passion-FRG83-from-FRF91.c8847c98.zip) on my Nexus One OTA. Before applying the update, my Nexus One was running Android 2.2 (FRF91) which was rooted using 1-click Universal Androot utility. Only applying the update via stock Android system recovery, i got "No Signature, Verification Failed Error" error.

After installing Amon_Ra's Recovery image and downloading the (FRG83) update manually, i tried to install the update.zip via Amon_Ra's Recovery but unfortunately again got the same "No Signature, Verification Failed Error" error.

Android System Recovery Utility How to Bypass Android No Signature, Verification Failed Error*Above image is for illustration purpose only

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (188 files)
E:Verification failed
Installation aborted.

To bypass this "No Signature, Verification Failed Error", you must install ClockworkMod Recovery image.

• Start your Android phone normally and place update.zip in the root of your SD card.
  • Go to Android Market, search for ClockworkMod, select ROM Manager from the list and install it.
  • Once you have installed the ROM Manager, launch ROM Manager and grant Superuser Permissions to it.
  • Click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery to install ClockworkMod Recovery image.
  • Choose Reboot into Recovery and ROM Manager will boot you to recovery mode.
  • ClockworkMod Recovery How to Bypass Android No Signature, Verification Failed Error

• If you'll apply update directly, you'll end up in the following error:
  • E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted

• So choose "install zip from sdcard" option.
  • Toggle Signature Verification How to Bypass Android No Signature, Verification Failed Error

• Now first choose "toggle signature verification" to turn off the signature check and then choose "apply sdcard:update.zip".
  • Now you'll not see any errors related to signature and you can easily update your software.

*Note that this trick worked when i was updating Nexus One from Android 2.2 to Android 2.2.1 on an unlocked bootloader. It may or may not work with the other versions. So if you test it and find it working on any other version, please do mention the update in comments.

Sri2 weeks, 5 days ago

my device (Karbonn A4+) is bricked now (its rooted )… its not able to boot.. so thinking to flash new rom . I did nt enabled USB debugging.. i didnt installed clockworkmod… but its boot in recovery mode… it doesnt have above options… what to do ?

Master Planner2 months ago

Helo there. I have an inote betond it 1450 from itel and i’ve tried upgrading to android 4.0 But there is a problem of verication that persists. I have visited so many sites and i was either told to download clock word mode or rooters(such as framaroot ,androot etc).I followed each instrucrion step after step, yet it wasnot successful. Please someone help me with root installation on my inote beyond it 1450 and also upgrade. Thank. My mail is mplanner72@yahoo.con. Am going mad

adi2 months, 1 week ago

I had same problem on android 4.0.4 zte aqcua, and I hope u could give some advice ty

Nalsur3 months ago

Thanks, it’s help me!!!

Amit6 months, 2 weeks ago

i have rooted my samsung  s7562  then restore  now my set is hang on confirm time zone i want to update from sd card but it is shows  signature varification faild now what i do plz help me  thanks in advance my fb id Amitsharma.470

Santosh7 months ago

please guys help me ,,,,i m using samsung galaxy s advance …..when i used update to sd card ,every zip file error is signature verification failed . i m unable to install any zip file my device ……..everytime error show —signature verification failed –signature verification failed

Faiyaz Ahmad9 months, 2 weeks ago

its is working on my voxv81 tablet… You all are LOL…

sangram shrikhande1 year, 3 months ago

plz help me to install cwm recovery on my samsung galaxy core

aman1 year, 5 months ago

i have karbonn a21…and after chossing Reboot into Recovery….it reboots and…dont show the mesages..like install zip from sd card…!

james1 year, 10 months ago

well i have samsung galaxy s duos.when i bought it’s software version was 4.0.2 and i was success to root bt when i found update and updated it to 4.0.4, there is super user installed but it cant allow any apps or itself Superuser Permissions  and when i tried ur trick i cant allow the grant Superuser Permissions to rom manager so how could i do this…….. and re root my android 4.0.4.

James2 years ago

I don’t have an option to toggle signature verification. Does anyone know of a way around this. Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate – Android 2.2.2 (rooted) with ClockworkMod Rom Manager.

Miguel2 years ago

will it work with my lenovo a60+ v2.3.6? because it happens to me everytime i choose update sdcard in the recovery mode. tnx

Hass2 years, 2 months ago

Also remember to be connected to ac power, or it doesn’t load. At least, mine wouldnt.

techv2 years, 2 months ago

I have just followed all steps given above, but after this when i reboot my device it “stuck” on a screen which has  four colored “x” and i am not able to getting home screen, even my device is not recognized by adb command, i have used HTC NexusOne with OS version 2.3.6 which is already rooted.Can any one guide me what is going wrong and how can i resolved it?

BOMA2 years, 2 months ago

how if my sd card’s phone didn’t recognize??i cannot download and install CWM and ROM MANAGER anymore ..can you help me? how can i do to fix this problem?

CyberGasty2 years, 2 months ago

I am trying to follow up your tutorial on my Wildfire with Hboot 1.02 and the problem persists even with the ClockworkMod (5.0.2.0).
    In the recovery menu I only have apply sdcard:update zip and no “choose zip from sd card”.
    Wildfire is unlocked using HTC develop tools. I followed the tuto but no progress.
    I am constantly running into the message of failed verification. I uploaded three print-screens for reference.

MIUC2 years, 9 months ago

did not work with att captivate updated to android 2.3.5 gingerbread.  SIGNATURE VERIFICATION FAILED and it does not show an option to toggle verification.  Thanks anyway but cannot run update.zip

Hemant Anpat2 years, 9 months ago

unfortunetly error in Android

defy fan3 years ago

Shashank,

you need to come on the XDA defy thread or the TBHP android thread. Why do you need to bother with “apply update.zip” process when the “install from zip file” works without the signature verification nicely?

shashank Chauhan3 years ago

tried on defy motorola nothing happens same problem signature issue guess i have to stay on 2.2 :(

Jon3 years ago

Hey guys on my Droid 3 im trying to root it to get wifi to my xbox since we have no power at my house. i got my root234.zip in my SD card and everything is good until i try to run it. it says e:signature no granted or something like that and the installation is aborted. when i download this ROM Manager it gives me an error message
    “You must root your phone for ROM manager to function. Superuser was not found at “/system/bin/su” or “/system/xbin/su”. Use google search on your computer to find instructions on how to root your phone.”

Well im trying to do that but i need this E:signature to be toggled off and i thought this app could do that.

How do i turn this off so i can root my phone? (Droid 3 – 2.3.4)

Thanks for your hel;p

Mark3 years, 1 month ago

Im having a problem: When i try to reboot in the clockworkmod recovery screen, i end up at the Android recovery screen with the yellow triangle with exclamation point and a small picture of my phone next to it please help

hunter3 years, 1 month ago

i did this but i dont do anything except reboot i get no menu on anything, im on the latest software and my phone is flashed

Siddarth3 years, 2 months ago

It worked on my HTC Wildfire! Thanks a lot

gogo3 years, 3 months ago

I have a same problem as Sam. HTC Tattoo.

Help anyone???

sam3 years, 5 months ago

hi!

first of all thanks for this guide that you provided! ok now for the question. i have a motorola milestone already rooted using universal androot.also already downloaded and installed the clockwork.I followed the instructions in your guide but when i choose “reboot into recovery” it just reboots to the android recovery not the clockworkmod recovery….if you can help me solve this problem it would help me a lot…thanks!!!

Carlos3 years, 7 months ago

With my Galaxy S Froyo updated (2.2) and Vodafone locked, the app tell me that phone must be rooted? How I can use it for rooting?

R JaY3 years, 10 months ago

I got same problem like jay.. i do what u said, all the steps you said. But still no where?

when im done with all the steps it still says finding update package and then verification faild. i have toggle signature verification enbaled:S

pleaaaseHELP

Jay3 years, 10 months ago

I tried the instructions above, changed rom’s zip file name to update.zip, disabled signature verification, chose apply sdcard:update.zip instead of choosing zip from sdcard but still got the status 7 error. I have clockworkMod v2.5.0.7

Hope to have this issue resolved.

Happy New Year guys!

marco3 years, 10 months ago

Hi Jay,
      hope you have already resolved, some days have passed .. but in case you haven’t: what do you mean with erro / still a problem of signature verification notwithstanding the fact you disabled it ?

Luis Martinez4 years ago

just did this to the moto cliq im stuck at the stick together screen! please does anyone know how to fix this????? i flashed 2.1 via clockwork need to know ASAP!

marco4 years ago

Luis I do not know what to tell you. I updated FROM 2.2 TO 2.2.1 on my N1 without any trouble following the instructions above. Running clockwork, then moving to install from SD, switching off the signature verification and then going with the FRG83_stock.zip: the entire ROM.
      Now, I can’t update OTA (I couldn’t even before , all in all) but my installation ran smoothly.

Tenae4 years ago

You’re awesome!!! Worked perfectly for my Motorola Cliq! I had to update to .5 to get to 2.1…it’s been nightmarish and this worked just perfectly! THANK YOU!

kostah4 years ago

this was my key to FINALLY get rid of my vodafone branding on my nexus..
    BUT: when installing clockworkmod recovery, need to immediately go from it’s menu to the recovery..otherwise during boot the branded rom wipes out the clockwork recovery…..if you normally quit clockwork after installation and shutdown phone, start in recovery, you will end up in default android system recovery , not the clockwork recovery you just installed..

after installing a stock rom though, the CW recovery will survive :)

marco4 years ago

believe it or not, yesterday night I found the solution … at least for me.
    I discovered that the problem was in the fact that I transferred the file FRG83_stock.zip (that is, the entire ROM including the 2.2.1 update) on the phone using a MAC. I do not know why, but when I did the same using WIN XP anything like smoothly, and now I’m updated to 2.2.1.

marco4 years ago

same to me, eyal. If I remove the signature verification the phone replies with error 7 installation aborted (erors in sdcard/update.zip something …
    I searched for two days on the net, flashed rom in any way, formatted sd, changed sd, step back to eclair, forward to froyo, everything and anything. No way to overtake the problem. I surrended by now and wait for 2.3 to be released

Eyal4 years ago

I’ve tried your method step by step but I’m still getting Status 7 even after confirming I’ve toggled Signature Check. It looks like it’s aborting during Verifying current system…

I’m on Nexus One running FRF91.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Amon_RA4 years, 1 month ago

Official OTA updates should only be flashed on official non rooted firmwares via stock recovery!

An official OTA update assumes you have a stock ROM!

Following the above method on a custom ROM (or an altered rooted stock ROM) WILL corrupt your system!!

Wolverine4 years, 1 month ago

I actually tried it on my Nexus One already rooted on Android 2.2, it worked. Now i am running rooted Android 2.2.1 on my Nexus One.

ramadan4 years, 1 month ago

I advise you not to do this if you have a nexus one. Mine just got fried! the screen is hung up on the unlocked image. (unlocked at the bottom and the four colored “x” above it). Any assistance on how to unfreeze my screen is greatly appreciated.

Wolverine4 years, 1 month ago

Above procedure is completely safe, it’ll never brick your device until your phone looses the battery power during recovery image installation. Press the Power and Trackball button at the same time to load the bootloader. Or use adb reboot bootloader at command prompt to load the bootloader directly.