Yesterday Apple released the first beta of iOS 4.2 whose final build will be out in November this year. Without any further wait, msft.guy has already released PwnageTool bundle to jailbreak iOS 4.2 Beta on iPhone 3GS (Old bootrom). This PwnageTool bundle will patch the current PwnageTool so that it can cook custom IPSW of iOS 4.2 Beta which on restore through iTunes will jailbreak and hactivate your device.
Please note that the procedure below is only valid for iPhone 3GS (Old bootrom) users who have already jailbroken their devices using PwnageTool, Redsn0w, Blackra1n or Sn0wbreeze. If you have used Spirit or JailbreakMe to jailbreak your device then you are not eligible to use PwnageTool bundle.
Note that current Cydia package is broken on iOS 4.2, you have to install OpenSSH so that you can install mods and apps without Cydia. To install OpenSSH go to here http://apt.telesphoreo.org/cydia/debs/ and download openssl_0.9.8k-9_iphoneos-arm.deb and openssh_5.2p1-8_iphoneos-arm.deb
How to Patch PwnageTool 4.01 with PwnageTool Bundle:
*Find download links at the end of the post
- *Download PwnageTool 4.01
- *Download PwnageTool bundle for iOS 4.2 Beta
- *Download iOS 4.2 Beta for iPhone 3GS (Developers only)
- Place PwnageTool, iPhone2,1_4.2_8C5091e.bundle and stock iOS 4.2 Beta IPSW (iPhone2,1_4.2_8C5091e_Restore.ipsw) file for iPhone 3GS in one folder.
- Right click on PwnageTool and choose Show Package Contents as shown in the screenshot below.
- Navigate to Content->Resources->FirmwareBundles and drag iPhone2,1_4.2_8C5091e.bundle to this folder.
- Now your PwnageTool is patched and ready to jailbreak iOS 4.2 Beta on your iPhone 3GS (Old bootrom). Launch PwnageTool and follow Step 1 to Step 14 here. Make sure when PwnageTool asks you for the firmware file, browse to iOS 4.2 Beta IPSW (iPhone2,1_4.2_8C5091e_Restore.ipsw) you downloaded in step 3.
- Once you have got the custom IPSW file of iOS 4.2 Beta, connect your iPhone to your computer and start iTunes. Click on the name of the iPhone on the sidebar of iTunes to go to the summary panel. You will see two buttons i-e Check for Update and Restore. Hold down the SHIFT key (ALT key for Mac) and click on the Restore button, browse to the IPSW file of iOS 4.2 Beta which you just cooked with PwnageTool. Sit back and relax while iTunes restore jailbroken iOS 4.2 Beta on your device.