You can now jailbreak iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) on iOS 4.1 with PwnageTool (Unofficial). For those who don't know, Apple just released iOS 4.1 final version which contains baseband update, hence it can't be unlocked via Ultrasn0w. The workaround is to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS via modified / unofficial version of PwnageTool release by Criminal90. Please note that PwnageTool is available for Mac users only and it can't activate your iPhone i-e you will need an oroginal SIM card or Phonebook card to activate the phone before you can unlock it via Ultrasn0w. Moreover, your iPhone 3GS must be on 3.x.x with PwnageTool / Redsn0w or Snowbreeze jailbreak.
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) on iOS 4.1 with PwnageTool (Unofficial)
*Find all download links at the bottom of the post.
- *Download latest version of iTunes.
- *Download iOS 4.1 for iPhone 3GS
- *Download modified PwnageTool
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes and sync to backup all of your data including apps, contacts, messages and photos etc
- Place PwnageTool, iOS 4.1 IPSW and all other files you downloaded on your desktop.
- Launch PwnageTool and click OK to accept the warning message.
- Click on iPhone 3GS and hit the next button at the bottom-right of the window.
- Now PwnageTool will automatically detect iOS 4.1 IPSW file from your desktop and validate it. Incase PwnageTool fails to detect the iOS 4.1 IPSW, click on the Expert Mode button at the top, browse for iOS 4.1 IPSW manually and click next button.
- Now PwnageTool will ask Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?, choose NO if you are on unofficial carrier and YES if you are on official carrier like AT&T. Remember clicking YES will upgrade your baseband to the latest version.
- Now PwnageTool will show the final popup after which it will start creating a custom cooked IPSW file on your desktop. Click Yes button to continue.
- Wait for 4-5 mins while PwnageTool creates a custom IPSW file of iOS 4.1 which will be placed on your desktop.
- During the creation of custom IPSW by PwnageTool, you will be prompted to enter the Administrator password. Enter your correct Administrator username and password.
- Once you see "ihaz Success" on your screen, you are all done!
- Check your desktop, you will see custom IPSW file of iOS 4.1 cooked by PwnageTool for your iPhone.
How to Restore Custom IPSW File of iOS 4.1 with iTunes
Once you have got the custom IPSW file of iOS 4.1, connect your iPhone to your computer and start iTunes. Click on the name of the iPhone on the sidebar of iTunes to go to the summary panel. You will see two buttons i-e "Check for Update" and "Restore". Hold down the SHIFT key (ALT key for Mac) and click on the "Restore" button, browse to the IPSW file of iOS 4.1 which you just cooked with PwnageTool. Sit back and relax while iTunes restore jailbroken iOS 4.1 on your device.
Unlock iPhone 3GS on iOS 4.1 with Ultrasn0w 1.1-1
- Make sure repository http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 is added in Cydia for its smooth operation.
- If you experience any problems with Safari browser, add repository http://repo.woowiz.net in Cydia.
Update1: Jailbreak iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G on iOS 4.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.6
Update2: Jailbreak iOS 4.2 with Redsn0w 0.9.6 on iPhone 3G iPod Touch 2G
Update3: Download Sn0wbreeze 2.0 to Jailbreak iOS 3.1.x, 4.0.x, 4.1 on iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS (Old + New Bootrom) & iPod Touch 1G, 2G (MC + Non-MC), 3G on Windows