How to Install Apps on SD Card by Default in Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Although Android 2.2 (Froyo) allow you to move installed apps from your phone's memory to SD card memory, yet installing your apps directly to SD card by default is the tricky part. First you need is a rooted Android 2.2 device with Terminal Emulator app installed on it, just incase if Terminal Emulator app is not working, you can use Move2SD Enabler app to achieve the same goal.

Method 1: Using Terminal Emulator App

1. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and check "USB debugging" option.
  2. Android USB Debugging

3. Download and install "Terminal Emulator" app from Android Market and use the following commands to change default installation location for apps to SD-card.
  4. su

pm setInstallLocation 2

pm getInstallLocation

Terminal Emulator

Method 2: Using Move2SD Enabler App

1. Download and install "Move2SD Enabler" from Android Market for FREE. Once installed, launch the app and it'll guide to enable "USB debugging" option.
  2. Move2SD Enabler App

3. Tap on the "External" option and hit the "Apply" button.

Thats it! From now on, all of your apps will be installed directly on your SD-card.

sabiq3 years, 6 months ago

how can i move my apps to sd using terminal emulator

Senthil Kumar4 years, 6 months ago

Hi, I am using Dell XCD35. I rooted my mobile using z4root and used “Using Move2SD Enabler App” to enable install in SD card. After enabling the apps are still getting installed in phone memory (i tried installing from android market.). Can you help me on this

pratik dhale4 years, 11 months ago

How can I make my HTC wildwire s rooted , please help me

vishu5 years ago

thanks buddy its really easiest way to install the apps to sd card
    i am using d samsung galaxy pro but in that terminal emulator cant worked the kind of command not responding then i hv tried the Move2SD Enabler yepieee its worked

kevin5 years, 1 month ago

this is nice trick. but what is the procedure for installing app on sd card for non rooted devices? I dont want to root my mobile, as it will void warranty.

CukiWap5 years, 2 months ago

Worked fine to my rooted Samsung galaxy Ace

Ravinder Kumar5 years, 3 months ago

i had tried this software as you said.
    But it said permission Denied….
    Please help me out.

dxdydz5 years, 3 months ago

thank u man! it worked great for my blade! preferred the app way than the terminal..

srikanth5 years, 4 months ago

I get access denied in terminal emulator …
    when i type su
    i get the message
    access denied

and same thing whn i press 2 also

Kenny5 years, 5 months ago

Dear Wolverine,
    Thank you for your help and professional advice, I really appreciate your kind assistance and, the most impressed, your super prompt reply.
    Best regards, Kenny

Kenny5 years, 5 months ago

Dear Wolverine,
    After I typed su command, the response is su: permission denied
    then is it mean that m device is not rooted? Then it means that I cannot change the Apps default storage location to SD card?

Yep! It means your iPhone is not rooted and you cannot change the apps default storage location to SD card.

Kenny5 years, 5 months ago

Dear Wolverine,
    Many thanks for teaching me that, realy appreciate!
    Would you teach me one more thing? My device is Viewpad7 with Android 2.2, I download and installed the Terminal Emulator. However when I open an d run the app, there is no way for me to type cos it will not pop up the keyboard, do you know the possible reason why?
    Thanks again for your help in advance.
    Regards, Kenny

Kenny5 years, 5 months ago

Can anyone teach me how can I find out my device is rooted? Many Thanks!

Download Terminal app from Android market and type su at $ prompt. Hit enter key. If you get # prompt, it means you are rooted.

AC Gounaris5 years, 9 months ago

I tried these two procedures and they didn’t work. What is a rooted device and how do I go about making mine a rooted device?

My internal memory is getting critically low and I am trying to install NFS Shift on the card, but to no avail…

Nick Desire6 years ago

Thanks Wolverine…

It works!

Sam6 years ago

Hi, i have HTC Evo Andriod 2.2 but iam trying to use the Terminal Emulator or the other one Move2SD Enabler but both not working with me… and all mark and checked as u direct it …please give more help…

Wolverine6 years ago

The above procedure is for rooted devices, so make sure you have rooted HTC Evo on Andriod 2.2.