How to Install LibUSB on Windows 7 & Vista 64-bit

LibUSB is a very important library which is used by many freeware programs to put your iPhone into recovery mode or force it to exit the recovery mode just with a single click. Recboot and EasyiRecovery both requires LibUSB installed on your computer to function properly. Installing LibUSB on 32-bit operating systems is easy but many users who own x64 systems were facing some issues while installing LibUSB. The following guide will explain you how to install LibUSB on Windows 7 and Vista 64-bit editions.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT follow this guide if you are trying to kick your iDevice out of recovery mode loop and want to use Recboot or EasyiRecovery. For some reason, LibUSB will disable your keyboard and mouse on next reboot and to fix this, you must uninstall LibUSB by booting into safe mode. As TinyUmbrella DO NOT require you to install LibUSB, so it is always recommended to use it instead.

Steps to Install LibUSB on Windows 7 & Vista 64-bit

1. Download LIBUSB64Fix.zip and extract it on your desktop! (Find download link at the bottom of post)
  2. Plugin your iPhone, iPod or iPad through USB cable to your computer.
  3. Open the first folder called ADD HARDWARE WIZARD, run INF WIZARD.exe and click "Next" button.
  4. INF Wizard

5. Select "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" from the list. If you are unable to find this option, you can choose USB Composite Device from the list and click "Next" button.
  6. INF Wizard

7. Click next to skip the "Device Configuration" window.
  8. INF Wizard

9. You will be prompted to save the INF file, rename it to "setup" and save it to ADD HARDWARE WIZARD directory.
  10. INF Wizard

11. Once setup.inf has been saved, click on "Finish" button to close the window.
  12. INF Wizard

13. Click on the start menu and type RUN and hit enter. You will see the RUN window, type hdwwiz in the "Open" field and click OK button.
  14. Run hdwwiz

15. It will open "Add Hardware Wizard" as shown in the screenshot below. Click Next" button to proceed to next step.
  16. Add New Hardware Wizard

17. Choose "Install the hardware that I manually select form a list (Advanced)" and click "Next" button.
  18. Add New Hardware Wizard

19. Choose "Show All Devices" and hit the "Next" button.
  20. Add New Hardware Wizard

21. Click "Have Disk" button and browse to setup.inf you created in step 6 above.
  22. Add New Hardware Wizard

23. Select the only list item the "Menu" and click "Next" button.
  24. Add New Hardware Wizard

25. Click "Next" to skip final window before the installation will begin.
  26. Add New Hardware Wizard

27. Choose "Install Driver Anyway" to install the driver.
  28. Add New Hardware Wizard

29. Click on the "Finish" button to close the wizard.
  30. Add New Hardware Wizard

31. Now open the 2nd folder called INSTALL LIBUSB, right-click on LIBUSB 32win Setup.exe and choose "Properties". Go to the "Compatibility" tab and choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Click OK to apply the settings.
  32. LibUSB Compatibility

33. Now run LIBUSB 32win Setup.exe and install the LibUSB with the default settings.
  34. LibUSB Setup
    LibUSB Setup

35. Now open the 3rd folder called INSTALL READYDRIVER and run ReadyDriver Setup.exe.
  36. ReadyDriver Installation

37. Install the setup with all default options.
  38. ReadyDriver Installation

39. Restart your computer and you are done!

Video Tutorial:

Download LIBUSB64Fix.zip

Recommended:

Marcos3 years, 1 month ago

Step 2, go to start on search bar type restore system, when the option appears choose it and restore your system to a date before you install thee libusb driver.

Marcos3 years, 1 month ago

Read this, if you are one of these estupids who did the tuto, (I am one of them), and later read the comments, DON T GET IN PANIC. there is one easy way to fix it before you restart your pc, go to start choose panel control them look for system and security, into system choose device manager them look for the device you did the tuto (if you unplug it, plug it again) and wait to show up in listed devices, now you have to uninstall the driver and it s done, restart your pc again and thats all, your usb driver are all OK.

Robert3 years, 1 month ago

it’s amazing

NOOV24 years ago

DO NO FOLLOW TUTORIALYOU WILL RUING YOUR WINDOWS BOOT AND DISABLE USBAUTHORS – REMOVE THIS PAGE!!!!!

NOOB4 years ago

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ALERT  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT INSTALL THIS PEACE OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT FOLLOW THE TUTORIALTHE END PART WILL LIVE YOUR COMPUTER UNBOOTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES I AM ALSO THE IDIOT WHO READ THE COMMENTS AFTER INSTALLING THE WHOLE THINGAUTHORS OF THIS PAGE REMOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMMEDIATELY UNINSTALL lIBUSB FROM CONTROL PANELGO TO C:BOOT UNINSTALL THATWIN 7 USERS > USE THE INSTALLATION DISK GO TO RECOVERY AND REPAIR – IT WILL WORK, LOG INTO SAFE MODE, OR USE PS2 KEYBOARD AND MOUSE TO REMOVE – ALMOST DESTROYED MY SYSTEM DISK WITH RAID0 SSD DISK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AUTHORS> GO F…ING KILL YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TO OTHERS>DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PAGE AND KEEP THIS NOTE ON TOP

Yourmother4 years, 1 month ago

You f***ing asshole! This tutorial is shit! ty jebany geju, nie znasz sie

fynn4 years, 10 months ago

okey you dont understand my problem:D

i used libusb for a gamecontroller (ps3) and install it manually at hardware devices, with hardware id etc….but now i want to use another gamecontroller (speedlink) but my windows show me the same hardware id from the ps3 controller for my speedlink controller. because i installed it with “Add Hardware Wizard” (your step) …
    i installed it with “hdwwiz” and “setup.inf” and now every gamecontroller i want to use have the same hardware id like my first controller like i wrote in setup.inf … so how i can cancel this step…

fynn4 years, 10 months ago

hey. i start the inf wizard and i already add my usb controller. but after that i noticed i dont need libusb. so i stopped. but now i gotta new controller and i got the same hardware id’s like my old controller. and update new driver don’t work. so how i can delete the driver i installed with inf wizard?

hope u undertand.my technical english isnt so well :D

Don’t use LibUSB anymore. Read my previous replies.

almooody4 years, 11 months ago

step 3) install readydriver : acces denied , this program requieres Windows NT version 6.0.6000 or later .. where to go now ? :(

Use FixRecovery instead. LibUSB is quite outdated & is not recommended anymore.

ehsan5 years, 1 month ago

wheres the link

Use the FixRecovery tools from notcom instead. LibUSB is outdated & is not useful anymore.

Roy5 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I download libusb on vista pc and now my computer just don’t boot. It is just stuck on the password screen of windows. And my keyboard or mouse don’t work. How do I solve this problem. I don’t want to loose any data on my pc. Please help me…..pleas

Do not use this method anymore. Use FixRecovery instead to fix your recovery loops.

andicap5 years, 3 months ago

I had the same problem. ipod touch 4.2.1 stuck in recovery mode. Downloaded, started Tiny Umbrella. Boom! Repaired in under two minutes.

Awsome. You can always use TU to Kick your iPhone out of Recovery for versions 4.2.x/4.1.x. :)

joel5 years, 4 months ago

Dear wolverine,

I booted my computer in safe mode but my usb-ports are still dead what should i do?

You need to uninstall LibUsb from Control Panel -> Program and Features

Paul5 years, 4 months ago

********************************************************************
    WHO IS THE F**KING IDIOT STILL FOLLOWING THIS TUTORIAL WITHOUT READING THE COMMENTS BELOW IT??!!

SERIOUSLY, IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT DOING THIS TUTORIAL, DO NOT!! IT WILL MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER. DO NOT DO IT. READ COMMENTS FOR OTHER IDEAS LIKE TINY UMBRELLA.

GO AWAY FROM HERE NOW! HOW THE HELL DO WE GET THIS TAKEN DOWN? IT’S NUTS
    ********************************************************************

Van5 years, 4 months ago

Reinstalled LibUSB, uninstalled using safe mode. No luck.Keyboard still inop. Restored computer (Vista) to original as purchased settings. Keyboard still inop.

Whats next? Wipe and Load?

Go to program files and find the uninstaller of LibUSB.

van5 years, 4 months ago

I tried following this procedure (Vista machine). Now my laptop keyboard does not work. I plugged in an external keyboard and that works. I tried to restore system, no luck. I can not find the LibUsb program to remove (its not listed in Programs and Features.)

Help.

I just need to recover my keyboard functionality.

Go to safe mode (Press DEL key) and uninstall LibUSB. If you do not see LibUSB, install it again and then uninstall it without rebooting.

Jeroen5 years, 4 months ago

No lan and USB in safe mode!

This means you have not uninstalled LibUSB properly. Try re-installing LibUSB again in safe mode and then uninstall it again.

Jeroen5 years, 4 months ago

Big problemen here.. Installation went wrong no USB or lan internet. Uninstalled both libusb and the readydriver plus from the computer but still i got no lan connection or USB acces!!!! Please help!

Boot into safe mode and see if you get access to LAN connection or USB ports?

grace5 years, 5 months ago

I cant do this. i need to start my computer and it wont work
    It goes to windows boot manager and then i go to windows 7 and then the kyboard and mouse wont work so i cant go onto my user or anything

Help pleas
    and safe mode wont work

Constantly hit F8 when you turn ON your PC.

ArsenalJoe5 years, 5 months ago

I did all these steps to be able to use recboot because my iphone 3g is stuck in recovery mode and im trying to get it to work again, over the last few days i have spent hours going through these turorials and am now at my wits end! I really cant get it to work.
    I need to get the iphone out of recovery mode so that i can jailbreak it and then unlock but my problem is i tried it beofre and went wrong somewhere and now it has the latest baseband and that stops itunes from being able to restore it.
    Any help woould be very much appriciated.

What is your current baseband and which firmware you are restoring? Also have you tried TinyUmbrella http://bit.ly/bWtu6v to kick your iPhone out of recovery?

ArsenalJoe5 years, 4 months ago

Thank you for all your help its now working. Thank you

Andy10015 years, 5 months ago

Wow after going through that whole process of breaking my PC with this technique and then fixing it myself reading this thread….tried the Tinyumbrella thing that the guys wrote about above. I clicked on the device and Exit recovery and it was done. Combine this with other tutorials on how to downgrade from iOS 4 to 3.3.2 and it works fine. Good luck all.

Paul5 years, 5 months ago

Haha, finaly someone who followed the instructions instead of coming here and not reading the comments and freaking out.

Tiny Umbrella FTFW!

Also, I gave up trying to downgrade to 3.3.2 because when you go to iclarify (google it) and follow their detailed and amazing instructions on how to jailbreak your phone from 4.2.1 it is waaaaay easier and productive. Only catch is you have to update your baseband to that of the iPad which they say may cause damage to your GPS but that did not affect my iPhone 3G in the slightest. I’m all over the world now using my phone with many different countries sims and it is great!!!

rodney charles malekebu5 years, 6 months ago

hey,
    i just got an iphone 4imei 01253900478342 that i brought for someone but the thing is that the phone is stuck in recovery mode loop that is what i think.i live in West Africa Liberia.
    i try restoring with itune i get erro code and when i try tinyunberller nothing happens….is there anyother software that is easy to us to restore i don’t want to use irovery cuz it got my computer hangging.i think i have 4.1 is what my iphone is running..need help badly.oh also i don’t have a shsh cuz i wasn’t the one that activated the phjone and the guy that i bought it from is gone back to the uk.i need help badly your…
    chuck

kerr5 years, 6 months ago

anybody tried via Virtual PC (windows xp on win7) ?

Stew5 years, 6 months ago

So I did this hoping that it could solve my locked dellema. My ipod is locked and I can’t send it into dfu/recovery since the power buttons jammed and because I sold away my original computer that I used to sync it recently.
    I followed the instructions exactly, hoping that it would work.
    After restarting my computer (like the instruction said)
    now all this got me was my windows not starting up properly and my computer getting all screwed up, and I go into safe mode to see if MAYBE it can still send my ipod in recovery, and it doesn’t work.

need help Uninstall libusb and readydrive5 years, 6 months ago

I need help removing libusb and readydrive from my windows 7 x64 computer because my computer WON’T BOOT UP NOW. It doesn’t show up in add & remove even when I go into safe mode, and it doesn’t show in program files. HELP ASAP!!!!

DoctorD5 years, 7 months ago

It’s a weak ass trojan attempt. Check the batch files..

Paul5 years, 7 months ago

What is a trojan?

Prezlla5 years, 7 months ago

Hey, I ran into same boot issues as above with USB devices (mouse/keyboard) not working in Windows 7 64bit. So I plugged in an old keyboard and uninstalled LibUSB and ReadyDriver.

I lunched my Windows XP 32bit VMWare image and installed iTunes, LibUSB and simply ran recboot and clicked on exit recovery button. It worked! I didn’t have to follow steps 1, 2, and 3 (simply only installed LibUSB).

That was my experience. Hope it helps someone.

Paul5 years, 8 months ago

This is one of the worst tutorials on the internet. I’ll tell you why:

You alter your computer beyond what a normal computer user should be trusted to do. I’ve got a brand new computer, a week old, and now my anti-virus software is going haywire and won’t accept updates. I did everything as stated after freaking out and having to do a recovery (I had no internet so couldn’t find a solution online without it). I had to reinstall this nightmare on my laptop then uninstall it and get ANOTHER bit of software just to smooth it over and alter my booting options. Come on people, this is NOT good for your computer.

What’s worse is it isn’t even necessary. You can use tiny umbrella to do the same thing for an iPhone stuck in recovery and all it requires is java and .Net 4 framework.

DO NOT DO THIS TUTORIAL, it is not good for your computer one bit. You’re messing with the boot folder and drivers, which is idiotic!!! I can’t stress this enough. Instead just go here:

sword_fish5 years, 8 months ago

I am using windows 7 and server 2003 originally. Yes dual OS. And I am using wireless mouse and keyboard with receivers plug in USB ports.

I installed the libUSB in the windows 7 OS.

After I installed the libUSB, ReadyDriver Plus is shown up in the OS selection list. I choose to enter windows 7 OS. Then all the USB port will be dead, no power no signal. I also tried to enter safe mode, same thing happen to my USB ports. and I find no other ports for my old mouse and keyboard. I have no control after entering windows 7 even when I am in safe mode.

Please help out here. Thank you!!

Paul5 years, 8 months ago

Well, I tried to reply to you but the persons who moderate this blog refused to approve my replies. (probably because I included an html link, oooh!)

Dont’ install this software, it’s harmful to your computer. This tutorial is idiotic.

Google a free program called ‘tiny umbrella’ that only requires java and .NET 4 to operate and it does the same thing, if not better for your iPod stuck in recovery. no libusb needed.

Nemanja5 years, 9 months ago

i tried this thing now even in safe mode my wireless keyboard and mouse don t work… i hope to try another one will work… otherwise this is a bullshit method… i tried everythign to unlock this stupid iphone i will just pay 50 euros to someone to do it for me … i wasted already 10 hours and by trying this method i think i will have to format my PC that s another 2 hours right there! and i don t think i will be able to recover anything …. so many thoughts! ….
    write to people the consquenses of using your programs man! or your tutrials

Karen Cruz5 years, 9 months ago

I have downloaded libusb and kind of hesitant in using since I see everyone having issues. Nonetheless when I go to the drop down menu for it I see :

Windows 95
    Windows 98/ Windows ME

etc….There is no Windows XP/Vista/7 options. I downloaded this directly from libusb.org so I assumed it was current but it shows nothing but old OS nothing current. Do you have a link to download libusb with the Windows XP options?

Quinn5 years, 9 months ago

How do I do that?

Press F8 repeatedly when your computer is booting up. If F8 key don’t works, try F2 or F10 key!

Quinn5 years, 9 months ago

K got it into safe mode but all my USB ports are dead now, so I’m not sure how to uninstall LIBUSB

Quinn5 years, 9 months ago

Nevermind I got it uninstalled but I still have the stupid boot error any way I can fix that?

Use BCDEdit to remove the useless entries!

Quinn5 years, 9 months ago

I’m getting similar problems to everyone else but I’m getting the message “windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and restarted you computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click “Next”
    3. Click “Repair your computer.”

But when I put my disk in and restart my computer and run the pair nothing happens it just goes back to the same screen. I also tried doing a system restore, it comes u p with the message system restore failed

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

Restart in safe mode and uninstall LibUSB!

Al5 years, 10 months ago

After following all instructions exactly, I now have absolutely no Internet connection! I’m running win vista and am hard wired to ethernet high speed. Already tried uninstalling everything and performing system restore but no dice! Any help???

Reboot in safe mode and uninstall LibUSB

Tim5 years, 11 months ago

Solved:
    Reinstalled as in the tuturial above (May not have completely installed correctly the first time or my antivirus screwed ip up as i did run a scan afterwards and it quarantinned something). Then entered safe mode to uninstall libusb AND readyboot 1.1. Back to normal. Turns out i un-jailbroke and went back to 4.1 because i lost my bill pay and check book app data and all of my camera roll pics due to me not syncing with windows media gallery ever with my i phone. I’ll wait till they crack 4.1 on 3gs. It did work though!!! Thanks again!
    PS: You left out the last screen shot in the installation of readyboot. It showed 3 options with check boxes. I didn’t know what to do so i unchecked them all. Maybe add that for us. later.

Tim5 years, 11 months ago

I have many of the same problems as above. Libusb is nowhere to be found in my computer, so when i try to uninstall it, i can not. the origional folders on my desktop from where it was ofigionally unzipped, are now empty with only readme files. how do i get my computer to boot normally??? i have tried all of the troubleshooting as above but to no availe. thanks

Greg5 years, 11 months ago

Same problem, On booting i have no mouse and keyboard how can i go to add/remove programs when i can’t even log in to my user account?

Use safe mode to remove LibUSB from “Add/Remove Programs” and try re-installing it.

mark5 years, 12 months ago

i installed this on my windows 7 pc. i didnt have the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver” in my list so i chose a USB Composite Device. there were 4 of these listed so i just picked one of them. now when my pc gets to the logon screen my mouse and my keyboard dont work. i tried them in other usb ports but no go. any ideas?

Just uninstall LibUSB from Add / Remove Programs by going into Safe Mode and reboot your PC. All services will resume automatically.

Kyle5 years, 12 months ago

I followed the instructions, but it didn’t work.

Not only that, but my computer doesn’t boot normally now. I get a “Ready Driver Plus” option when my computer starts. If I click on it, it says it can’t boot because of an error in the C:boot/boot.bin file. If I click on the “Windows 7” option, it loads normally *until* I get to Windows. Then my USB ports and internet are totally dead. I have to System Restore to get things back to normal, however I still get that annoying black screen when starting to boot up (asking me which platform to load into: Windows 7 or Ready Driver Plus).

Any ideas?

No need to restore, its normal. Just uninstall LibUSB from Add / Remove Programs and reboot your PC. All sound and wifi drivers will work fine. Follow the procedure again. It happened to me once but it worked for the 2nd time.

Kyle5 years, 12 months ago

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give this a try in a few days (running out now, unfortunately).

I had previously restored and then tried again a few times.

Though my comp is fine now, I have 3 annoying entries for “Ready Driver Plus” on my Boot Manager (one for each time I tried this). LibUSB is off my computer, but these entries are still on the Boot Manager right when I turn the computer on.

Any idea on how to get rid of those?

Thx again.

Go to RUN, type MSCONFIG and then switch to Boot tab. Delete the unwanted entries and restart your PC.

Kyle5 years, 12 months ago

Odd…though it has 3 extra “Ready Driver Plus” entries on my boot menu, under the Boot tab in MSCONFIG, it just has the one for Windows 7 in there. I tried rebooting, same deal. Suppose it’s not a huge deal.
            Thanks for your help!

luis5 years, 11 months ago

It is still happening, now my pc runs automatically to windows 7 but the black screen appears and appears, but it only lasts 3 seconds because thats what i chose in the msconfig, but i dont want it to appear.. Could you help me ???
            Also, i uninstalled the libusb…. if i want to install it again… i need to do the same stuff of the folders?

parko5 years, 9 months ago

Guys, Wolverine is right. Use EasyBCD. You can control the bootup menu such as not having the Ready plus whatever show up.

First, you want to uninstall Ready Plus and Lib from your system. After that, download and install EasyBCD. Got to the Edit tab. You will see Windows 7 or whatever yours is and Ready Plus. Highlight Ready Plus and delete it.

Second, near the bottom of the program you’ll see a checkbox for skip boot menu. Check it, save and restart. You’ll see that you will boot normally again.

Luck.

Use EasyBCD program! Its FREE!

Charles5 years, 10 months ago

WARNING: Create a restore point but hat won’t prevent the same Boot Manager mess I got as described by Kyle: “I followed the instructions, but it did’t work.

Not only that, but my computer doesn’t boot normally now. I get a “Ready Driver Plus” option when my computer starts. If I click on it, it says it can’t boot because of an error in the C:boot/boot.bin file. If I click on the “Windows 7? option, it loads normally *until* I get to Windows. Then my USB ports and internet are totally dead. I have to System Restore to get things back to normal, however I still get that annoying black screen when starting to boot up (asking me which platform to load into: Windows 7 or Ready Driver Plus).”

Following this “Install LibUSB on Windows 7” tutorial really messed up my Vaio VPCF115FM running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, no more: wired internet, Logitech G700 mouse, Vaio special function buttons, SmartWifi utility and what not are all messed up. While System Restore fixed the OS, the Windows Boot Manager now has a new entry like I would have a dual OS boot. Got to find a way to fix the boot.bin file that was not fixed with restore. I guess the author never tried his procedure on a similar OS!

You are right, it happened to me twice but it worked 3rd time. Anyways you can remove the new entry in Windows Boot Manager by downloading a program called EasyBCD!

mark5 years, 9 months ago

Hey. I also had the boot option problem, even after removing LibUSB from the system. To solve, I started in safe mode, went to C:\BOOT, and selected the uninstall.exe file. After another restart the problem was resolved.

Now back to square one, an iPhone in recovery mode…. =[

karthik6 years ago

A crore thanks.

Raid3rNL5 years, 8 months ago

Same problem here, exactly the same. Followd the instructions presice!

Thanks a looot :(

DavieSta3 years, 5 months ago

WOW check out all you angry birds !!! First off this guy did not “brick” your phone “YOU” did all he is doing it handing out free help so just back off him he did a good job!Now this worked flawlessly for me with no issues what so ever :Windows 7 ultimate 64bit sony vioiPhone 3 GS 8GWhat i did was i installed libusb as he instructed but i did not re-boot my laptop i ran iTunes did restore with 3.1.3 (this was a downgrade from 4.x.x that caused the loop) and got the iTunes error message , then i used recboot and it failed so i used tinyumbrella to kick my device which worked 1st time , i then uninstalled libusb and rebooted laptop.Done Phone working fine againThank you Ben Johnson and Jaxov !!!!!