Here is a complete step-by-step guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0 and iOS 4.0.1 on iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS (Old+New bootrom) and iPod Touch 1G, 2G (MC, non-MC), 3G with JailbreakMe v2.0. For those who don't know, Comex has just released his browser-based untethered jailbreak for all iDevices running iOS 4.0, iOS 4.0.1 and iPad iOS 3.2.1. As told earlier if you are on iOS 4.1 (Beta-1 or Beta-2) then you might not able to jailbreak your device with JailbreakMe.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4.0, iOS 4.0.1 on iPhones & iPod Touches
- Download and install iTunes 9.2.1
- Sync your iPhone / iPod Touch with iTunes to backup your contacts, photos, messages and apps.
- Once you are done with the syncing, go to your device Settings->Wi-Fi and turn your Wi-Fi ON.
- Navigate to http://www.jailbreakme.com/ from your iDevice's Safari browser and wait for the page to load completely.
- Once you see the "slide to jailbreak" button, slide it to download the jailbreak package. You will see the download progress on your device screen.
- Once download is finished, it will start to jailbreak your device. The jailbreaking process will take some time, do not press any button while your iPhone is being jailbreaked.
- When you see message "Cydia has been added to your home screen", its all done! Go to your phone home screen to start Cydia.
Thanks to iPhone Ninja for such a useful video tutorial.
Thats it. Now you have fully jailbroken iPhone / iPod Touch. All iPhone 3G and 3GS users on iPhone OS 3.1.3, iPhone OS 3.1.2, iOS 4.0 and iOS 4.0.1 can now unlock their device using Ultrasn0w 0.93. Click here to full instructions to unlock your iPhone using Ultrasn0w 0.93.
Update 1: How To Jailbreak iPad (Wifi+3G) iOS 3.2.1 with JailbreakMe 2.0
Update 3: Fix FaceTime / MMS Not Wokring on iPhone 4 After Using JailbreakMe 2.0
Update 3: Unlock iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 With Ultrasn0w 1.0-1
Update 4: Ultrasn0w 1.1-1 Released! Standby Battery Life Issue Fixed!