Previously we shared that Verizon is rolling out Android 2.2 / Froyo update for Motorola Droid OTA (over-the-air). If you haven't received any software update notification yet and you are tired of refreshing your home screen again and again. No worries! You can download Froyo manually on your device.
NOTE: Please note that following procedure is for NON-ROOTED Stock 2.1 users only.
How to Download and Install Froyo Update Manually
- Download rooted version Android 2.2 Froyo (FRG01B) software update on your computer, once downloaded rename the .zip file to update.zip.
- Connect your Motorola Droid with your computer via USB cable.
- Now you need to move/copy update.zip from your computer to your phone SD/Memory card, you need to make sure that update.zip is place in /root of your card, not in sub directories.
- Turn your phone off
- Now boot your device into recovery mode (Hold Power + X). Keep holding the buttons till you see a triangle with an exclamation point.
- Now that your device is in recovery mode, to see the menu press the volume up + camera button at the same time (Try again, if menu doesn't show up at first try)
- With your D-Pad, select "apply update.zip", and hit the gold button to execute the update process.
- After the installation process is done, reboot your device by selecting "reboot system now" from the same menu.
That's all! Your Motorola Droid should be on latest software/os now. You can verify by routing to Go to Settings >About phone in your phone.
Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback