Downgrade iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.0, 4.0.1 & iPhone OS 3.1.3, 3.1.2

Apple has just released iOS 4.0.2 to fix the PDF vulnerability which allowed Comex to jailbreak all iDevices running iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 & iOS 3.1.2 with JailbreakMe. If you will upgraded to iOS 4.0.2 then you will loose your jailbreak and unlock. Only iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G(non-MC) users can jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.0.2 on their devices with Redsn0w and Ultrasn0w. As iOS 4.0.2 do not come with any baseband upgradation, so you can still downgrade to iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 by following the step-by-step guide below and then re-jailbreak it using JailbreakMe.

Before continuing, make sure your have SHSH blobs saved for either iOS 4.0 or iOS 4.0.1 (both are same) for iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G and iPod Touch 2G, 3G. We have already explained in detail that why and how you can save SHSH blobs for iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 for iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G.

Downgrade iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 on Windows & Mac

*Find all required download links at the end of post

1. *If you want to downgrade your device from iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.0 then download the iOS 4.0 IPSW file respective to your device. If you want to downgrade your device from iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.0.1 then download iOS 4.0.1 IPSW file. After downloading the firmware file, place it on your desktop.
  2. Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Follow the steps below to put your iPhone into DFU mode:
    • Start iTunes. Connect your device to your PC / Mac with the USB cable.
    • Turn of your device completely.
    • Now hold down the Home and Power button for exactly 10 seconds and after that release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until iTunes detect your iPhone / iPod Touch in recovery mode. Your iPhone or iPod's screen should be totally blank at this point.

iTunes Recovery Mode

3. Edit Windows / Mac HOSTS file:
  4. For Windows Users:

• Navigate to Start->All Programs->Accessories and then right click on the Notepad icon and choose Run as Administrator
    • Now go to File menu in opened Notepad and choose Open or simply press Ctrl+O. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and open HOSTS file.
    • Once HOSTS file is opened, copy-paste the following line at the end of file as shown in the screenshot below
    • 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Windows HOSTS File

• Now again go to File menu and choose Save or press Ctrl+S.

For Mac Users:

• Click Go->Go to Folder and then enter path /etc
    • Now open HOSTS file with TextEdit and add the following line with at the end of the file as shown in the screenshot below.
    • 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Mac-Hosts-File

• Now go to File and choose Save As, uncheck If no extension is provide, use .txt and save the HOSTS file on your desktop.
    • Now replace the original HOSTS file with the one you just saved on your desktop. Incase you are prompted for the password, just enter it and click OK.
  5. Once you have successfully edited your HOSTS file, open iTunes and click on the name of your device from the sidebar menu.
  6. Select iPhone From Sidebar

7. On the summary page, hold down the SHIFT key on keyboard and press Restore button. You will be asked to choose the firmware file you want to restore, choose the respective(iOS 4.0 or iOS 4.0.1) IPSW file you downloaded in step 1. If you are a Mac OS X user, use the ALT+Restore combo to choose the firmware file.
  8. Restore iPhone or iPod Touch Through iTunes

9. Now iTunes will restore the firmware files on your device. Your iPhone screen will show you the restore progress. Just incase iTunes throws errors with code 1015, 1013 or 1011, just ignore them. Once the restore process is completed, proceed to the step below.
  10. TIP: If iTunes throw error 1015 during the restore process, use the instructions here to fix the error.

11. *Download Recboot, it is a free utility for Windows and Mac users which allows you to force your iDevice to exit from recovery mode with a single click. Click on the Exit Recovery Mode button to restart your device.
  12. RecBoot-App-For-Windows-And-Mac

Once you have downgraded to iOS 4.0 or iOS 4.0.1, use the following tutorials to jailbreak and unlock your device:

Jailbreak: Jailbreak iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 on iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS & iPod Touch (1G, 2G, 3G)
Unlock: Unlock iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 With Ultrasn0w 1.1-1

Update1: Downgrade iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.0.1 on iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS Without SHSH Blobs

Download Links:

Download iOS 4 for iPhone 4/3GS/3G, iPod Touch 2G/3G – Final Version
Download iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G
Download iTunes 9.2.1 for Windows and Mac
Download Recboot for Windows and Mac

mike6 years, 2 months ago

I have my shsh files from cydia. I have followed all steps but still getting “downgrade from 4.0.2 this device isn”t eligible for the requested build”. (MACOSX, Iphone 3GS 4.0.2).

Need help!

battousal6 years, 3 months ago

hey wolverine, does this work for iphone 4 if the original os is 4.0.2? or merely for older versions which has accidentally been upgraded to os 4.0.2?

Yes. Only if you have saved SHSH blobs of the firmware version to whom you want to downgrade.

Ian Johnson6 years, 3 months ago

Hi, iPhone 3G & Windows. Trying to downgrade from 4.0.2 to 3.1.3. Successfully edited HOSTS file. When downloading 3.1.3 to desktop it is zipped. Have unzipped OK. However still no .ipsw file so Itunes will not recognise and restore. How can I find the .ipsw file that Itunes wants?? Thanks for any help.

You don’t need to edit HOSTS file if your are an iPhone 3G user and downgrading from iOS 4.x to 3.1.x. Don’t unzip the IPSW file. Make sure the iPhone OS 3.1.3 file has .IPSW extension. Just do a simple restore in DFU mode via iTunes and you are good to go to jailbreak and unlock your device.

Alexx6 years, 3 months ago

I’m also getting “…This device isn’t eligible for the requested build”. I have an iPhone 3GS (old bootrom).

ab6 years, 3 months ago

When I try to save the host file name it says “Cannot save, make sure the path and filename are correct” How can I fix this so I can save the file?

WLRM6 years, 3 months ago

I’m on Windows Vista and when I go to the directory C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, I can not find a HOSTS file though there are the other files there. Could it be in another directory or can I just duplicate the HOSTS file using notepad in admin mode?

Go to Folder Options and make sure to choose “Show hidden files, folders and drives” and uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)”. And yes, HOSTS file is only present in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc.

Alex6 years, 3 months ago

Getting “…This device isn’t eligible for the requested build”

Whats the model of your device? iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G or iPod Touch 2G, 3G???

Gre996 years, 3 months ago

I downloaded iPhone3,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw and edited my host file but I am stuck with error 3194.

Which means you haven’t saved SHSH blobs for iOS 4.0.1 or 4.0. If you are an iPhone 3G user, you can still downgrade to iPhone OS 3.1.x but not back to iOS 4.0.1 or iOS 4.0!

See the update at the end of post! Now you can downgrade from iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.0.1 even if your haven’t saved SHSH blobs for iOS 4.0.1! :D

sidd6 years, 3 months ago

I got this 3gs i phone from friend who were using ATT as a carrier
    But I like to use this with t-mobile….In order to do that I have to jailbreak & unlock it but this 3gs were upgraded to 4.0.2…..this phone was never jailbroken befor….I dont know anything about SHSH…….Can I downgrade this phone & jail break it?
    Please advise

Yes you can jailbreak it using PwnageTool if its iPhone 3GS with old bootrom. Incase of new bootrom, wait for iH8sn0w’s Sn0wbreeze 2.0 which will be releasing in upcoming week.

fish6 years, 3 months ago

i cant find e hosts file

Are you using Windows or Mac? Just incase if you are using Windows, go to Folder Options and make sure to choose “Show hidden files, folders and drives” and uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)”.

Ian Johnson6 years, 3 months ago

My system will not allow me to edit the hosts file! I cannot save the changes. Any ideas? I can open it with notepad. It is not in the location specified. Please help.

used ipod touches6 years, 3 months ago

Works for me! though its strange after the restoration my images was screwed! It changes into low res… any help guys?

Jim6 years, 3 months ago

Wow! It works people, i just downgraded from iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.0.1 and now rejailbreaking my iPhone 3G with JailbreakMe… Thankyou

Flavio Duarte6 years, 3 months ago

Hi, i’ve tried a lot, but I never got the error 1015, why?
    I want downgrade form 4.0.2 to 3.1.3

kannan6 years, 3 months ago

after i did all the step when i restore i cant find firmware on the desktop

i want downgrade from i os 4.0.2 to 4.0.1

Place iOS 4.0.1 IPSW on your desktop! You can download it from here.

chris6 years, 3 months ago

I cant get an ipsw file when i download 4.0.1. The comes packaged and when i extraxt it/ open it there is no ipsw. Why?

There is no need to extract the IPSW file! Just download and restore it from here

john6 years, 3 months ago

i keep getting the error 1601 when trying to downgrade to 3.o, and error 3194 when trying to downgrade to 3.1.3, im running os 4.0.2, and yes i did save my shshs blobs with cydia on 3.1.3 via “make my life easy” button. any help would be appreciated. thanks